Does Osteopathic Internship Program count as a Transitional year or Prelim year for Advanced programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manny24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Osteopathic Internship Program count as a Transitional year or Prelim year for Advanced programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean TRI?. If it is ACGME accreditated then yes it does.

It depends on the advanced program. Neurology requires a prelim IM year, I think (although I have not checked recently). Most other fields don't care.

It depends on the advanced program. Neurology requires a prelim IM year, I think (although I have not checked recently). Most other fields don't care.
There are "advanced" neuro programs out there with transitional years for PGY1.

Looks like they may have updated their requirements since I last checked. TY's count as long as they meet the ACGME minima.

Residents entering a program that offers the 36-month format must have completed a year of graduate medical education that satisfies III.A.2. and includes at least one of the following: (1) eight months in internal medicine with primary responsibility in patient care, or (2) six months in internal medicine with primary responsibility in patient care and a period of at least two months’ time comprising one or more months of pediatrics, emergency medicine, internal medicine, or family medicine.

Reactions: 1 user