Gap year between Prelim-Advanced on J1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPrelim

Reaction score
Hello community!

As the title says, I am IMG on J-1 visa finishing my preliminary year in June, matched to an advanced program that starts on July 2022. Eventually, I’m having a gap year, maybe will spend this time in my home country? idk. The question is:

-Can this year off-residency affect my chances of obtaining visa again to continue my residency in 2022? I had a talk with ECFMG already, technically they said “we don’t know”, since I must wait until next year for my application to be reviewed and then I will have an answer (I can’t wait so long).

-What should I do during this year? Legally, can’t obtain a visa for research since I am already on J-1 for physician.

If you know of anybody with this experience, I would like to hear about it!

Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello community!

As the title says, I am IMG on J-1 visa finishing my preliminary year in June, matched to an advanced program that starts on July 2022. Eventually, I’m having a gap year, maybe will spend this time in my home country? idk. The question is:

-Can this year off-residency affect my chances of obtaining visa again to continue my residency in 2022? I had a talk with ECFMG already, technically they said “we don’t know”, since I must wait until next year for my application to be reviewed and then I will have an answer (I can’t wait so long).

-What should I do during this year? Legally, can’t obtain a visa for research since I am already on J-1 for physician.

Much appreciated.
Would the prelim program be willing to give you a 2nd year prelim spot?

It's a potentially huge problem. You can't be in the US without a visa, and you'll no longer qualify for visitor visas. You should be able to get a new J visa, but the concern is whether you'll "owe" two HRR's if you decide to apply for a waiver.

It's a potentially huge problem. You can't be in the US without a visa, and you'll no longer qualify for visitor visas. You should be able to get a new J visa, but the concern is whether you'll "owe" two HRR's if you decide to apply for a waiver.
Yes, is a problem, and yes, I will owe two years if I apply for the waiver.

Would the prelim program be willing to give you a 2nd year prelim spot?
Yes, but the visa won't be sponsored by ECFMG since requires "successful progression of training". Is not possible to repeat PGY on J1 unless is a remediation year.

Yes, but the visa won't be sponsored by ECFMG since requires "successful progression of training". Is not possible to repeat PGY on J1 unless is a remediation year.

It could be labeled a PGY 2 prelim year. We have those in surgery.

Was thinking more like a pgy 2 prelim year.

It could be labeled a PGY 2 prelim year. We have those in surgery.
But then when the time comes to start my PGY-2 in the advanced program, the visa won't be sponsored because I already did a PGY-2 in other specialty.

A waiver is a three year commitment. If you have two HRR's, that will be six years.

Agreed you cannot repeat a PGY-1 in the same specialty on a J.

There is "no such thing" as a prelim PGY-2 in IM. I guess nothing stops a program from creating one for you.
But then when the time comes to start my PGY-2 in the advanced program, the visa won't be sponsored because I already did a PGY-2 in other specialty.
I think the J visa issue is that you can't repeat the same PGY level in a single specialty. The usual problem scenario is someone matches to a prelim GS on a J, then tries to match to categorical GS as a PGY-1.

But I think you can repeat a PGY level in a different field. J Visa allows change of specialty exactly once, and that usually requires a downgrade of PGY level, but not always. In all cases you should discuss with your visa sponsor.

Reactions: 1 user
Excellent idea, thanks
But I think you can repeat a PGY level in a different field. J Visa allows change of specialty exactly once, and that usually requires a downgrade of PGY level, but not always. In all cases you should discuss with your visa sponsor.
Excellent idea, thanks

Hello community!

Much appreciated.
I did my prleim year in gen surgery in year 2010-11. I confirmed with ECFMG and they said I will get new J1 with new home country requirement. As for previous J1 I have already fulldfilled requirement of home country condition.
Now I am planning for the Neurological surgery residency. If not possible directly then I am planning to get into gen surgery residency again. ECFMG asked me to confirm with programs whether they will accept me for PGY1 again or not.

Lot of issues with J1.
Not sure about Neurosurgical reaidnecy ad it's of 6 to 7 years. If I get into PGY1 prelims then I am not sure about the Neurosurgery completion as visa will last for 7 years.