Does having an MPH help you match>?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doc3341

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does having an MPH do anything for you when applying to a Radiology residency program? My school has a program for med students, and I was just wondering if it would be worth my time?

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

If your sole reason for pursuing an MPH is to impress Rad admission committees, I wouldn't bother. You'd be much better off taking that time to participate in radiology research or getting more hands on experience with clinical rads. Having an MPH might differentiate you a bit from the bulk of candidates, but, really, how much application does that degree really have to the field?

Members don't see this ad :)
doc3341 said:
Thanks for the heads up
I think you can definitely play an MPH into a big advantage if you present it right. (Obviously, it's not just "I have an MPH, let me in.")

Most university programs are looking for people interested in academics, and having the MPH gives you some credibility in saying you're interested in that. At the very least, you can present yourself as someone who knows some statistics, and people like that are always useful.

ears said:
I think you can definitely play an MPH into a big advantage if you present it right. (Obviously, it's not just "I have an MPH, let me in.")

Most university programs are looking for people interested in academics, and having the MPH gives you some credibility in saying you're interested in that. At the very least, you can present yourself as someone who knows some statistics, and people like that are always useful.

I never thought about it that way. While public health has always interested me, one of the main/bigger reasons for looking into it is that the med school I go to pays for it for their med students. So while that fact that its free isnt my main reason for wanting to oursue it, its definetely a perk.

Status
Not open for further replies.