Does anyone know anything about the Yale residency???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrfeet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone knew, from personal experience or word of mouth,
about the Yale residency program. I'm sure its good, b/c its Yale, but I was just wondering about specifics.

I appreciate any information.

Members don't see this ad.

mrfeet said:
about the Yale residency program. I'm sure its good, b/c its Yale, but I was just wondering about specifics.

I know a person from our school who is beginning his residency at this program this year. I'll definatley keep you posted as to what his experience is like but from my understanding, it is very much trauma oriented - not so much on the diabetic wound care procedures but more surgery and trauma. It is a very competitive program - probably top 5 in the country but that doenst mean that it fits everyone. It is a 3 year program but they also have a fellowship option to work with vascular i believe. I'll definatley keep u posted though.

mrfeet said:

I have externed there at Yale when I was a student. At Yale, you will be exposed to a range of forefoot and rearfoot pathology. As a resident, you will be doing rotational blocks at Yale - New Haven Medical Center, DVA - West Haven, St. Raphael's Hospital, New Britain General Hospital. At the Yale - New Haven Medical Center, the residents will have the opportunity to work with Dr. Peter Blume (Podiatric Surgeon that does a lot of Plastics), Dr. Peter Sumpio (Vascular Surgeon) and some of the Orthopedic Surgeons. At the New Britain General Hospital, the resident will be working with Dr. Gary Jolly, where you will be exposed to a great deal of reconstructive rearfoot surgery (including External Fixator Applications and various Skin / Muscle Flaps). In addition to the core hospitals, the residents also does cases at various surgery centers and spend time at various attending offices. The resident will also have a chance to go to the Naval Base in CT with Dr. Gorecki. Overall, the resident training is very well rounded in all aspects of forefoot and rearfoot surgery. There is also a great deal of didactic activities as well. The program does take 5 externs a month and they take 5 new residents annually. One of thing that I did not like the program is that the residents have tons of driving to do. There is NO vascular fellowship at the program. It is a great program and encourage you to check it out if it appeals to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know several people from NYCPM that will be 2nd years come july 1. and 2 more going this year to be 1st years.

these students were all in the top 15ish of the class ot of about 50 students.
I have heard Dr. Blume and others from yale speak at meetings and they are always impressivel with knowledge and like to teach which is a plus with a residency program.

they do lots of amputations and work very closely with the vascular surgeons at yale.

it is a lot of driving but I suggest looking into it if you have any interest.

if you want info to contact a resident PM me.

I was wondering if this residency is at all affected by Connecticut's scope of practice not including the ankle. I know that several people have posted that residencies are not affected by scope of practice in the state, but by what the teaching hospital allows them to do. Is Yale's hospital(s) fairly liberal in what they allow pod residents to perform?

Teaching hospitals have special privileges b/c they are seen as schools. If you are rotating w/ a vascular surgeon, he/she assumes the responsibility for your actions. You are under his/her guidance and therefore, only his/her scope of practice applies. A podiatric director cannot show you how to repair an ACL. But an orthopod can show you and can even let you do the surgery; this is b/c it is under his/her scope. Do you get the drift? Scope applies to the physician you are working with not the student.

krabmas said:
I know several people from NYCPM that will be 2nd years come july 1. and 2 more going this year to be 1st years.

these students were all in the top 15ish of the class ot of about 50 students.
I have heard Dr. Blume and others from yale speak at meetings and they are always impressivel with knowledge and like to teach which is a plus with a residency program.

they do lots of amputations and work very closely with the vascular surgeons at yale.

it is a lot of driving but I suggest looking into it if you have any interest.

if you want info to contact a resident PM me.

I actually recently spoke with a DPM who graduated from DMU and went to do his residency at Yale. He said the program involved a lot of amputation salvage. Being out for a few years now, he is doing very well in an Orthopaedic practice in SD.

doclm said:
I actually recently spoke with a DPM who graduated from DMU and went to do his residency at Yale. He said the program involved a lot of amputation salvage. Being out for a few years now, he is doing very well in an Orthopaedic practice in SD.

by amputation I did not mean all patients get BK amps. I meant lots of toes coming off. the theory goes - probe to bone - debride. this is the message that Dr. Blume gives at his talks.

so they might save some legs and even toes of the people that they have intervened with early but the late comers with bones sticking out or holes that probe to bone - they lose them.

krabmas said:
by amputation I did not mean all patients get BK amps. I meant lots of toes coming off. the theory goes - probe to bone - debride. this is the message that Dr. Blume gives at his talks.

so they might save some legs and even toes of the people that they have intervened with early but the late comers with bones sticking out or holes that probe to bone - they lose them.

Sorry, I didn't mean to counter anything you were saying. I actually didn't catch the possible difference. I was just putting my two cents into another SDN-POD conversation. My knowledge of Podiatry compared to many of you on here is nothing more than 2 cents.. :D ....really

doclm said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to counter anything you were saying. I actually didn't catch the possible difference. I was just putting my two cents into another SDN-POD conversation. My knowledge of Podiatry compared to many of you on here is nothing more than 2 cents.. :D ....really

not to worry I could see where what I said could have been confusing.

Hi,
I completed this residency and was very happy with the training that I received. If you have any questions please ask!

Just to let you know, the residency is a PMS36. The residents had an intern year, a second/consult year and a third/chief year.

Our hospitals for rotations were the following:
1. Yale New Haven Hospital (the yale teaching hospital) This is a 900 bed level I trauma centre, it has the works like a helipad and all that neat stuff.
2. Hospital of St. Raphaels this is a 511 bed level 1 trauma centre
3. Veterans Hospital (major teaching hospitals like Yale agree to cover VA hospitals in their region, that means they send yale residents over to the VA hospital) This VA hospital was the New England Central VA hospital.
4. Newington VA hospital
5. New Britain General Hospital
6. US Coast Guard Academy
7. US Naval Submarine base Groton
8. Connecticut foot surgery center in Milford
9. Naughatuck Surgery Centre
10. UCONN university of connecticut Dempsey hospital
11. Danbury hospital and the Duracell Surgery center (yes sponsored by duracell the battery company...very nice place)
12. st. mary's hospital waterbury
13. Temple surgery center (this is not related to TUSPM, this is a surgery center in new haven)

So if you map all these places on google, then you will see that there is a lot of driving involved but it is definately worth it.

Whatever residency you end up getting they are all great, you can use the Yale residency as a comparison tool due to the variety of cases we get. Everything from forefoot and rearfoot and ankle surgery is bountiful. Yes we get to do ankle surgery in connecticut because of the relationship between the DPM residents and the ortho attendings.

The best part of the residency is the comraderie between you and your fellow co-residents, the didactic work, the knowledge of the attendings who love to teach and best of all, when you are the intern or the second year consult resident or the chief resident at the Yale hospital, you are EQUAL to MD residents and get the EXACT SAME RESPECT!! The MD junior residents and interns know that you are Chief on podiatry so they respect you. You as an intern on podiatry may have to be on vascular and they treat you like part of the team. So while I was on the plastics team or vascular or ortho or whatever specialty, there was no differentiation between me and the MD residents. We got scutted out equally, we got pimped equally, we took call equally, we wore the same scrubs, slept in the same areas on call, had the same ID tags, did the same procedures, got the same respect from attendings, scrubbed in the same cases, admitted the same patients. I could go on but I don't want to bore you.

Bottom line, the MDs whether they are residents or attendings give us DPMs respect and equality and that is real satisfaction. And when you leave, it is possible to make life long friends with the MDs.

All in all a great program, has its ups and downs but more ups than downs. Very competitive, you should extern not only to see if the attendings and residents like you but to see if you like the program. Rent and living in New Haven is ok, no high prices. Cheaper than NY or Philly or Chicago.

Most graduates from this program are highly successful and go anywhere, all over the map, they join DPM groups, start on their own, join ortho groups, join multi-specialty groups, etc. Offers range anywhere from $100-175K per year for first year salaries plus bonus and benefits. Maybe this number has gone up by now, I don't know anymore. Salary while I was a resident was low 30s high 20s per year. Be prepared to know your stuff, they call on you anytime you are a student visiting or externing or even as a resident, and be prepared to work and sleep little. Definately the toughest thing I have done in life.

Best of luck to you in your search. Stay positive.

Hi,
I completed this residency and was very happy with the training that I received. If you have any questions please ask!

Just to let you know, the residency is a PMS36. The residents had an intern year, a second/consult year and a third/chief year.

1. Yale New Haven Hospital (the yale teaching hospital) This is a 900 bed level I trauma centre, it has the works like a helipad and all that neat stuff.
3. Veterans Hospital (major teaching hospitals like Yale agree to cover VA hospitals in their region, that means they send yale residents over to the VA hospital) This VA hospital was the New England Central VA hospital.
4. Newington VA hospital
11. Danbury hospital and the Duracell Surgery center (yes sponsored by duracell the battery company...very nice place)
13. Temple surgery center (this is not related to TUSPM, this is a surgery center in new haven)

So if you map all these places on google, then you will see that there is a lot of driving involved but it is definately worth it.

Whatever residency you end up getting they are all great, you can use the Yale residency as a comparison tool due to the variety of cases we get. Everything from forefoot and rearfoot and ankle surgery is bountiful. Yes we get to do ankle surgery in connecticut because of the relationship between the DPM residents and the ortho attendings.

The best part of the residency is the comraderie between you and your fellow co-residents, the didactic work, the knowledge of the attendings who love to teach and best of all, when you are the intern or the second year consult resident or the chief resident at the Yale hospital, you are EQUAL to MD residents and get the EXACT SAME RESPECT!! The MD junior residents and interns know that you are Chief on podiatry so they respect you. You as an intern on podiatry may have to be on vascular and they treat you like part of the team. So while I was on the plastics team or vascular or ortho or whatever specialty, there was no differentiation between me and the MD residents. We got scutted out equally, we got pimped equally, we took call equally, we wore the same scrubs, slept in the same areas on call, had the same ID tags, did the same procedures, got the same respect from attendings, scrubbed in the same cases, admitted the same patients. I could go on but I don't want to bore you.

Bottom line, the MDs whether they are residents or attendings give us DPMs respect and equality and that is real satisfaction. And when you leave, it is possible to make life long friends with the MDs.

All in all a great program, has its ups and downs but more ups than downs. Very competitive, you should extern not only to see if the attendings and residents like you but to see if you like the program. Rent and living in New Haven is ok, no high prices. Cheaper than NY or Philly or Chicago.

Most graduates from this program are highly successful and go anywhere, all over the map, they join DPM groups, start on their own, join ortho groups, join multi-specialty groups, etc. Offers range anywhere from $100-175K per year for first year salaries plus bonus and benefits. Maybe this number has gone up by now, I don't know anymore. Salary while I was a resident was low 30s high 20s per year. Be prepared to know your stuff, they call on you anytime you are a student visiting or externing or even as a resident, and be prepared to work and sleep little. Definately the toughest thing I have done in life.

Hi,

4. Newington VA hospital

somewhereinct,

Does this program have a website? I amcurious about the structure and rotations involved in the training. Does the program see alot of foot and ankle trauma call? Thanks.

oncogene

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I will be externing at Yale in a couple months and I have a lot of questions!!! I hope someone can help me out!

1. As an extern, how many hospitals will we be rotating at?
2. What is the typical schedule for an extern like?
3. Will I need a car when I am there? or can I get by using the shuttle, if there is one, or by walking?
4. Any helpful texts or articles I should read to help me prepare for my month there? what references will help me out the most?
5. Is there a website for the program?

Thank you!

Salary while I was a resident was low 30s high 20s per year.

Just curious, i thought that average residency salaries were like between $36k-44k. So is this salary not kind of low.

Just curious, i thought that average residency salaries were like between $36k-44k. So is this salary not kind of low.

this person was a resident a few years ago. every year residents get raises due to cost of living. so that was normal for a few years ago.

this person was a resident a few years ago. every year residents get raises due to cost of living. so that was normal for a few years ago.

While selecting a residency, does salary matters to an applicant. I mean you guys are now applying for residency right! so are you giving any preferences to residency that have higher salaries compared to the residencies to lower salaries. or it doesnt matter so far the program is good.

Hello. I will be externing at Yale in a couple months and I have a lot of questions!!! I hope someone can help me out!

1. As an extern, how many hospitals will we be rotating at?
2. What is the typical schedule for an extern like?
3. Will I need a car when I am there? or can I get by using the shuttle, if there is one, or by walking?
4. Any helpful texts or articles I should read to help me prepare for my month there? what references will help me out the most?
5. Is there a website for the program?

Thank you!

1. When I externed at Yale program, the students rotated through West Haven VA, Newington VA, Yale New Haven Medical Center, and New Britain Hospital. Recently, I heard that students no longer rotated through Newington VA and now rotate through St. Raphaels instead. We did one week rotations at each of those hospitals. Of course, this may have changed since I have externed at Yale.

2. Depending on which hospital you are rotating through, your schedule will vary quite a bit. For example, at Yale, we had to come in on Saturday to round.

3. You will definitely need a car since the hospitals are not close to each other. For example, New Britain Hospital is in the northern part of Connecticut and it was a 45 minute drive from where I was staying. West Haven VA, St. Raphael's and Yale New Haven Medical Center are within reasonable driving distance from each other.

4. Perhaps, someone who recently externed there can answer this question. I know that when you do rotate through New Britain, you will be spending time with Dr. Gary Jolly. It is probably a good idea to read up on some of the articles wrtten by Dr. Gary Jolly.

5. To my knowledge, the program currently does not have a website.

While selecting a residency, does salary matters to an applicant. I mean you guys are now applying for residency right! so are you giving any preferences to residency that have higher salaries compared to the residencies to lower salaries. or it doesnt matter so far the program is good.

TO me it does not matter. most programs pay the residents based on cost of living in the area of the hospital and similar or the same as other residents at the program.

For example:

UMDNJ starts around 50G and some program in NYC starts at 60G then there is one in orlando florida that starts at 43G. each is about 10G difference but based on cost of living it is really not that significant.

If everything else is equal then maybe it would come down to salary, but most programs are so different that I doubt there would be a student that was rank #1 by 2 such similar programs that it came down to the money for a decision.

Overrated to say the least, I visited there and thought it was a good program but definately not one of the better ones in the country. If you want to see the same patients all day long then it is good (40-70 yo male vets with diabetic foot ulcers), no trauma and stuck up people.

Overrated to say the least, I visited there and thought it was a good program but definately not one of the better ones in the country. If you want to see the same patients all day long then it is good (40-70 yo male vets with diabetic foot ulcers), no trauma and stuck up people.

did you put one of the residents in a head lock?