Yale New Haven/DVA Hlthcare System Podiatry Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footie85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to Yale New Haven/DVA Hlthcare System clerkship and I have around a 3.0. Does this program only focus on higher GPA's even though they accepted someone with a relatively lower GPA for a clerkship or do they care more about how well you do while you're there once you get your foot in the door?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Grades always matter, but your performance during your month is more important. You can be competitive for many programs with a modest gpa, but the tiebreaker that often completes ranking lists is class rank/gpa.

Not trying to discourage you or claim your chances at a great program are poor, but saying "grades don't matter" isn't an accurate statement either. But being a great student in person is more important than being a great student on paper, so you should focus on performing well during every day of all of your rotations. This however is much easier said than done. Good luck.

I have been accepted to Yale New Haven/DVA Hlthcare System clerkship and I have around a 3.0. Does this program only focus on higher GPA's even though they accepted someone with a relatively lower GPA for a clerkship or do they care more about how well you do while you're there once you get your foot in the door?

Thanks.

Did you end up matching with them? I anticipate GPA being slightly above 3.0 at time of app. My understanding is GPA gets you an invite to clerkship, and deciding factor is almost entirely your performance during externship. Hoping that is true, since it would mean a 3.0 or above gives you a shot at just about any residency out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
From a recent APMA conference... Word from Pods and 4th years... Yale residency status has declined in recent years, and St. Francis in Hartford is the new #1 program in CT. Still a highly reputable program, but not at the level it was some years ago.

I am underwhelmed with the CT programs.