Does a sleep fellowship really help with reapplying for PCCM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

statincity098

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I went unmatched in PCCM this year and was looking into available sleep positions. I always intended to do sleep after PCCM anyways. But I do want to round out my training with PCCM in the future. Does doing a sleep medicine year really help with PCCM? Who should I get letters from when I am reapplying? My residency program attendings or the faculty in the new hospital? I feel like application season starts so early in the training year I wouldn’t really know the faculty in the fellowship well. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It may not help you with the reasons you went unmatched but it does give you something to do for a year and will offer more job opportunities in the long run assuming you do match next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Take a sleep spot. There should be pulmonary folks around where you do sleep. Let them know you are interested in PCCM after your sleep fellowship. Reapply. Hopefully the connections help - the faculty will know each other. But if not then go and live a good life if you don’t match next time around. Sleep is not exciting but there are definitely much worse ways to make a living.

Reactions: 2 users