Matching into PCCM w/ a lot of Cards research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Strange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing a Chief Resident position next year. I failed to match into Cards. I plan to dual-apply next year. There's a lot of overlap between both disciplines that appeal to me, but I also want to ensure I match into a fellowship following doing a chief resident position. I have about 20-25 publications (case reports, abstracts, a few manuscripts) that are mostly cardiology-based. I did do a manuscript on robotic bronchoscopy that I was the first author of.

Anyway, I was wondering what the optics of this would look like. The place where I am doing my Chief Residency has an in-house cardiology and pulm crit fellowship (both relatively young).

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Their main conference accepts case reports. My home program actually doesn’t care about research at all. Out of the 4, if I had to guess, pccm is probably the one that will scrutinize your research the least

you will be competitive but will need to give a compelling reason in your personal statement and interviews besides “I am geographically limited and pccm is very similar to cardiology and I want to settle for less .”

That robotic bronch paper would be nice .

Doing something scholarly in overlapping topics like PE or PH would be useful

You’ll also need lor from pulm and or CCM faculty and not cards letters

Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll match into pccm

But will you be happy in anything besides cards?

You should answer that internally before pursuing pccm as your back-up

I say that bc pccm job / lifestyle / prestige all very different from cards

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
I will say if your desire was general cardiology and you just enjoy that heart-kidney-lung dynamic and also want to maintain your IM skills (which is relevant in CCM but also when working up multisystemic diseases in the ILDs) moreso than doing interventional cards and doing cath/procedures or EP and doing rhythm work, then you will enjoy PCCM more. some PCCM doctors get certified in echo (not just the ASE advanced critical care echo but the bona fide full ASE echo certification) if you wanted to do that much work on the side to get the studies in.

If you were thinking about "hmm i wanted to be a general cardiologist get a nuclear stress test machine and print money," well... can't quite do that in pulmonary. though if you see me posts in other threads you'll see how you can get a pulmonary practice assembly line of procedures going. nothing in pulmonary prints money like the nuclear stress test... plus most jobs are tied to the hospital and CCM. Private practice Cardiology is not necessarily tied to the CCU.

Reactions: 1 user