DoD mandated VA Hospital Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gravy4thebrain

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just learned that there are residencies in urology at Duke and Medical College of Georgia and surgery at University of Washington for active duty military residents... does anyone know how many spots are available at each and if there are any plans to expand this program into other specialties.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

gravy4thebrain said:
I just learned that there are residencies in urology at Duke and Medical College of Georgia and surgery at University of Washington for active duty military residents... does anyone know how many spots are available at each and if there are any plans to expand this program into other specialties.
Thanks in advance.

Unsure about this one. Post your source

There is a Urology resident at MCG from the Navy but he is FTOS. He used to be stationed here at Camp Lejeune.

I don't know about "mandated" but there is a joint program between the VA and the military for a few residencies.

As far as I know it changes every year, this year the opening at UW was only announced around sept-oct or so... a bit late for most people to plan on rotating there.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand, there is typically only 1 slot at each institution, and the specialty type and location changes pretty regularly. For class of '06, I think they had a urology, a neurosurgery, and a few general surgery. The previous year, they had a radiology spot at MCG and I think the urology spot used to be in Miami. I considered this option before learning that there were no rads slots, but I remember thinking it would be a pain because you have to interview prior to October 15th, which is, of course, much earlier than the normal civilian interview season.

colbgw02 said:
From what I understand, there is typically only 1 slot at each institution, and the specialty type and location changes pretty regularly. For class of '06, I think they had a urology, a neurosurgery, and a few general surgery. The previous year, they had a radiology spot at MCG and I think the urology spot used to be in Miami. I considered this option before learning that there were no rads slots, but I remember thinking it would be a pain because you have to interview prior to October 15th, which is, of course, much earlier than the normal civilian interview season.

This information is correct as far as I can tell. There is an explanation on the Army medical education website that lists the residencies offered and what is necessary to apply for said residencies.

http://www.mods.army.mil/MedicalEducation/

Click on the FYGME link then the Letter of Instruction.

Hope that helps.