All Branch Topic (ABT) DoD GS and PDPP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not see any threads about this when I searched, so maybe it's a first!

I started in a GS position about a year ago as a department chief. The stars aligned and it was a terrific opportunity that just happened to become available at the right time. Unfortunately, I also did not have a lot of time to do my research before starting the hiring and onboarding process, as there was a DoD miracle, and I went from applying to in processing in barely 6 weeks. I still find it hard to believe.

Anyways, my salary and total compensation package isn't bad. The hours are certainly longer than I had in the position previous, but I am having fun so far. I did see a proposal I had to provide some data and input back up to DHA for and noticed this project wanted to hire a staff physician in my specialty with a projected budget expense equal to my annual salary under the PDPP. Given my position and level of responsibilities, this made me curious and motivated me to start digging.

Turns out, I have no idea what Tier I was placed into under the PDPP. In fact, I had no idea this was the process I allegedly went through during the hiring process until afterwards. My understanding is that I was supposed to have received some type of document showing the final market pay and tier determination along with the rationale. While I am under a supervisory physician PD it -- like every other PD across the DoD/DoA -- does not match what I am doing or hired to do. My current PD is for a first-line supervisor and clinic lead position; I lead the entire department and have several subordinate supervisors who report directly to me. The PD, I believe, is one of the things considered during the PDPP review process to determine the tier and salary offered?

I would appreciate whatever input and guidance others more knowledgeable and experienced with this can provide. I do have a COA in progress already with local HR and CPAC but as always, I want to know more about this than they do to realize when I'm being fed nonsense.

Members don't see this ad.