DoD-VA Military Residency Partnerships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gilbz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently watched a webinar on the Air Force HPSP Facebook group. The neurosurgery presentation mentioned DoD-VA military residency partnerships with UF-Gainesville, UT San Antonio, and Baylor that count as active duty time (for retirement purposes).

Do these residency partnerships exist for other medical specialties or just neurosurgery? Are you on active duty with full pay and benefits during them? Is the commitment concurrent with HPSP as it would have been for a normal military residency? I tried looking for more information online but there doesn't seem to be much out there. Does anyone have experience with this? I know the Air Force has another deal with UC Davis for certain specialties but for that one you are definitely on normal active duty while in residency. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey gilbz,

Air Force Flight Surgeon stationed at Eielson AFB here. Almost all active duty residencies partner with civilian institutions. Travis works with UC Davis, Wright Patt works with Boonshoft SOM, Nellis works with University of Nevada. The HPERB (Health Professions Education Requirements Board) releases data every year with regards to how many people the Air Force is going to train per specialty, where they will train them, and under what status (active or otherwise).
The document explains the locations pretty well and I'll upload it here. Basically you have three options that you can apply and get accepted for during military match:
- Active duty slot: these are the ones on the HPERB that list a location, DG, Eglin, MAMC, etc. Most of these partner with military programs, but they have pre established slots in civilian residencies that the Air Force "claims". You will be active duty and get all of the benefits of active duty when you're in these programs.
- Civilian deferred: You are approved to train in that specialty, but you are on civilian status with no benefits and you have to find a civilian program to train into. This is why you should ensure you apply to ERAS in your 4th year.
- Civilian sponsored: Same as deferred, but you're active duty and get the benefits. You have to find a program that will train you, but the military pays you to be there. Some people think you have a better chance of getting in somewhere if you're sponsored because the program doesnt have to pay for you. Who knows if this is true

Attachments

• 2020_HPERB_for_Publish.pdf
    212 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: 1 users