Do you wanna know why they're opening more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do concede that the market currently stinks and all the new schools are troublesome, and that I do not expect the market outside of very rural areas to change for the next several years at least. However, thinking long term for our career, I am not too concerned. Primarily, there is also the fact that the majority of new graduates are women who do not work FT for more than 5 years on average, and the figures RxForLife was using do not take into account the pharmacists retiring from the workforce. Again, the economy has forced more elderly people to work and women to work FT for longer as their husbands have lost their jobs. Things should turn around in five or so years as the economy rebounds, the mass amount of elderly pharmacists retire (causing demand for more pharmacists not included in the absolute projected demand increase), and women switch to PT. And yes, I am going to say it, the first of the baby boomers have only just hit Medicare age. We still have 20 more years of this, and as the population exponentially ages, it will have a positive impact on the demand for all health care professionals. My two cents to counter some of this doom and gloom.

I do concede that the market currently stinks and all the new schools are troublesome, and that I do not expect the market outside of very rural areas to change for the next several years at least. However, thinking long term for our career, I am not too concerned. Primarily, there is also the fact that the majority of new graduates are women who do not work FT for more than 5 years on average, and the figures RxForLife was using do not take into account the pharmacists retiring from the workforce. Again, the economy has forced more elderly people to work and women to work FT for longer as their husbands have lost their jobs. Things should turn around in five or so years as the economy rebounds, the mass amount of elderly pharmacists retire (causing demand for more pharmacists not included in the absolute projected demand increase), and women switch to PT. And yes, I am going to say it, the first of the baby boomers have only just hit Medicare age. We still have 20 more years of this, and as the population exponentially ages, it will have a positive impact on the demand for all health care professionals. My two cents to counter some of this doom and gloom.

where do you work? Better yet, what setting do you work in?

Members don't see this ad :)
However, thinking long term for our career, I am not too concerned.

I've been practicing 19 years and I'm worried for our future.

Primarily, there is also the fact that the majority of new graduates are women who do not work FT for more than 5 years on average,

You have data to back this up?

and the figures RxForLife was using do not take into account the pharmacists retiring from the workforce. Again, the economy has forced more elderly people to work and women to work FT for longer as their husbands have lost their jobs.

rxforlife did not account for foreign grads. He also didn't account for more schools opening up.

Things should turn around in five or so years as the economy rebounds,

Economy will rebound in 5 years? We haven't even hit bottom yet.

I am going to say it, the first of the baby boomers have only just hit Medicare age. We still have 20 more years of this, and as the population exponentially ages,

Exponentially? I don't think so... boomer's birth rate peaked around 1956 then plateaued and dropped off.

it will have a positive impact on the demand for all health care professionals. My two cents to counter some of this doom and gloom.

And then once the boomers die and we're left with 400,000 pharmacists...then what??

Don't bet your future on this report. :smuggrin:

In the late 1990s, the Nation was graduating approximately 8,000 new pharmacists per year and the HRSA (2000) projections assumed that the annual number of new graduates would continue increasing to approximately 8,500 by 2020. In reaction to the predicted growing pharmacist shortage, enrollment in pharmacy programs rose such that the Nation will soon be graduating close to 10,000 new pharmacists per year, with plans for expansion of pharmacy schools expected to gradually increase the number of entry-level degree graduates to about 12,000 per year.

Evidently HRSA (2000) projection was wrong.. and evidently HRSA (2004) misses the mark again.

They underestimate new pharmacist production and overestimate the growth of pharmacist demand.:sleep:

Don't bet your future on this report. :smuggrin:

Evidently HRSA (2000) projection was wrong.. and evidently HRSA (2004) misses the mark again.

They underestimate new pharmacist production and overestimate the growth of pharmacist demand.:sleep:

Funny he couldnt even post the 2008 version!

In a retail setting, the top pharmacist from UCSF will bring in no more income than the bottom student from (insert puppy mill pharmacy).

This is very true. Even if you are a very knowledgeable pharmacist, it doesn't matter in retail. As a matter of fact, it is even counterproductive if you try to be a clinical pharmacist in retail.

It's nice to keep the positive thoughts...however, reality is reality. At my workplace, we have one pharmacist who is 67 and still working fulltime!!! he doesn't wanna retire!!!!! His son lost job and he wanna help him out in the meantime...so yeah, no retire for him yet!

Also , if economy stinks like this, more and more part-time pharmacists will try to get back to full time status to cover for their family income loss...and believe me, this creates another competition for new grads!!!

I would listen the old timers on the forum. They've got years of wisdom.

Don't you question why pharms make six figures, but in the 90's made around what's worth about only $60,000 today? It's all about that supply and demand.

I've heard rumors of new graduates in the northeast offering to work for $12/hr because there aren't really that many jobs up there.

I have only just retired at 76. I have met pharmacists still working part time at 82 and there was a mention of a pharmacist aged 93 involved in an incident who was advised to retire by the stututory committee (Deal with pharmacists who have transgressed).
johnep

I have only just retired at 76. I have met pharmacists still working part time at 82 and there was a mention of a pharmacist aged 93 involved in an incident who was advised to retire by the stututory committee (Deal with pharmacists who have transgressed).
johnep

Oh man that guy sounds like a real baller, to be working at age 93 !! :eek: I hope I have enough energy to keep working when i'm gettin into my 70s! Mad respect for those guys who keep it goin that long. Granted they keep holding on to jobs that the young guys could have taken, but still, you gotta give em props for comin in to work despite getting older and more tired. :thumbup:

Although we might think that Pharmacist is in low demand...it might be the opposite once Obama universal health plan is pass. Imagine all the peoples who have never had access to medications in the past might visit the pharmacy more than EVER!!! Since universal health plan allow EVERYONE in U.S. to have access to health care and drugs with like a huge jump in tax rate, I honestly think pharmacist will be in huge demand sooner or later. What do all of you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Although we might think that Pharmacist is in low demand...it might be the opposite once Obama universal health plan is pass. Imagine all the peoples who have never had access to medications in the past might visit the pharmacy more than EVER!!! Since universal health plan allow EVERYONE in U.S. to have access to health care and drugs with like a huge jump in tax rate, I honestly think pharmacist will be in huge demand sooner or later. What do all of you guys think?

That is one thing.. some people say universal or comprehensive care will be the standard one way or another (either a bill will pass, or the health care system will implode with the job market and everyone will end up on medicaid or medicare). I'd like to believe that because drugs are one of the cheaper ways to treat people, they'd be the preferred method in any cost sensitive national healthcare model. Although the surplus still looms on the horizon, having 30-50 million people who werent able to buy drugs cheaply, now suddenly being able to buy drugs cheaply seems like it would definitely increase the demand for pharmacists.

Nuke on the other hand, I still havent decided if its going to get hit with the hammer or the dollars in the healthcare future. Luckily we have the nuke med physicians lobbying for us -- they want more scans desperately, and when they get more scans we get more scans. Hey at least nuke scans are cheaper than MRI scans .. i feel a little bad for all the radiologists out there expecting to get rich off MRIs in the coming healthcare situation.

This is just the positive prediction. You never know what happens in future...My vision is short, so i just tend to look at the present. Just like back in dot com 1999-2000, people were so excited about internet, programming , yada yada...The news keep ballooning with computer scientist/engineers make 100K/year and you get job easily everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!everywhere you go in college, you see a guy holding a book called, "Java programming" or "C++ in 24 hours", or "networking system"....and boom ! 2 yrs later, those guys couldn't find a job and had to switch career fields to pharmacy/dental/medicine, and the job is almost obsolete offshore to India/China until NOW (10 yrs later)

I don't know about how Obama healthcare plan turns out to be...but i know it's pretty f* up now...and most likely it won't be passed!!! I personally don't like Obama because apparently, he is incompetent. Within 2 yrs in the white house the monkey has done nothing except for spending more money from the government and put the government in debt more and more....digging a hole deeper and deeper everyday, nothing has been done besides the damn healthcare reform plan (and yet not even done!). Job loss is still there, foreclosures everywhere, government bailouts trilions of dollars and still nothing fixed!!!

Anyway, bottom line: why pharm schools open? Because students still think it's a good career to go for...so it opens to suck ur loan/tuition and every cents of it...Do they dare to tell the truth that the pharmacy career has been already very saturated? of course not. Who wanna study for 4 yrs in pharm school and get out with 200K debt and has no job????But it looks like that's the reality.

I told my little cousins who were interested in pharmacy to run away 1000000 miles from it. The picture is getting uglier and uglier each year since 2008. Trust me, wait until this year graduation, then we really see the impact of it. My prediction: One job opening =100 applications....

^ Can you provide some actual evidence to support your statements?

Here's an article from a couple days ago.

http://www.healthcarefinancenews.com/news/recession-hurts-pharmacists-are-still-demand

"The future of pharmacy appears to be female."

Omg...if you just reply on these news/articles and make conclusion then that is very misleading.....The evidence of a surplus>demand is quite obvious as followed:
1. No more to limited sign on bonus as comparing to previous years before.
2. Retails/ Hospitals across nationwide currently have "hiring freeze" (= hire nobody to temporary hiring)
3. Graduates have a hard time to find jobs...have to relocate further than before, some even have to move to other states.
4. Students are applying to residency more and more since they know they can't get a job at this time...

And finally, a solid proof would be you....you should just do a testimony. Call up the place where u wanna work, say that u're a pharmacist looking for a job and see how they response....

^ Can you provide some actual evidence to support your statements?

Here's an article from a couple days ago.

http://www.healthcarefinancenews.com/news/recession-hurts-pharmacists-are-still-demand

"The future of pharmacy appears to be female."

I hate the whole female pharmacists work part-time because they want time to raise a family... Especially considering that retail growth has stopped almost completely (straight up from Walgreens and CVS reps at campus recruiting event, not some random person on a forum). I have never heard of a pharmacist who worked part time as a clinical pharmacists. Not a single time during my time listening to guest speakers at SSHP meetings, not during residency showcases or residency social. I don't even think hospitals would hire a PRN or part time pharmacist to work clinically. I just can't see that argument working anymore, at least not in this economy anyway.

Plus millions of people work full time and raise a family everyday. Some of those PRN pharmacists probably work part time not because they want to, but because they have to.

^^

This is just the positive prediction. You never know what happens in future...My vision is short, so i just tend to look at the present. Just like back in dot com 1999-2000, people were so excited about internet, programming , yada yada...The news keep ballooning with computer scientist/engineers make 100K/year and you get job easily everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!everywhere you go in college, you see a guy holding a book called, "Java programming" or "C++ in 24 hours", or "networking system"....and boom ! 2 yrs later, those guys couldn't find a job and had to switch career fields to pharmacy/dental/medicine, and the job is almost obsolete offshore to India/China until NOW (10 yrs later)

I don't know about how Obama healthcare plan turns out to be...but i know it's pretty f* up now...and most likely it won't be passed!!! I personally don't like Obama because apparently, he is incompetent. Within 2 yrs in the white house the monkey has done nothing except for spending more money from the government and put the government in debt more and more....digging a hole deeper and deeper everyday, nothing has been done besides the damn healthcare reform plan (and yet not even done!). Job loss is still there, foreclosures everywhere, government bailouts trilions of dollars and still nothing fixed!!!

Anyway, bottom line: why pharm schools open? Because students still think it's a good career to go for...so it opens to suck ur loan/tuition and every cents of it...Do they dare to tell the truth that the pharmacy career has been already very saturated? of course not. Who wanna study for 4 yrs in pharm school and get out with 200K debt and has no job????But it looks like that's the reality.

I told my little cousins who were interested in pharmacy to run away 1000000 miles from it. The picture is getting uglier and uglier each year since 2008. Trust me, wait until this year graduation, then we really see the impact of it. My prediction: One job opening =100 applications....

First off, computer/software engineering is still an 65-70-100k a year profession anyway. I have several friends pursuing this and they already have had job offers since last fall.

I'd believe you if it werent for the fact that everything I have experienced and everyone I have talked to tells the complete opposite story. (i suspect the truth is somewhere in between - i know people are having a hard time finding jobs, but its not THAT hard)

You're relying on anecdotes, and so am i , so there's no way to prove either of us are right. But it would be nice if you would stop making ridiculous blanket statements. Every 4th year i know (10 or so at my school and maybe 10 from work - from various places in the country) got a contract offer for a permanent store or hospital staff job sometime between last november and now. So that's nobody who's out of work, and actually, nobody who is even having to look or compete for jobs. Just saying, the world has not ended. 100 applications per job, get real. :rolleyes:

First off, computer/software engineering is still an 65-70-100k a year profession anyway. I have several friends pursuing this and they already have had job offers since last fall.

I'd believe you if it werent for the fact that everything I have experienced and everyone I have talked to tells the complete opposite story. (i suspect the truth is somewhere in between - i know people are having a hard time finding jobs, but its not THAT hard)

You're relying on anecdotes, and so am i , so there's no way to prove either of us are right. But it would be nice if you would stop making ridiculous blanket statements. Every 4th year i know (10 or so at my school and maybe 10 from work - from various places in the country) got a contract offer for a permanent store or hospital staff job sometime between last november and now. So that's nobody who's out of work, and actually, nobody who is even having to look or compete for jobs. Just saying, the world has not ended. 100 applications per job, get real. :rolleyes:

u're just in phase "denial" mode...psychologically speaking!

When things happen in a negative direction, people usually go thru 4 phases: shock, denial mode, acceptance, and moving on. Apparently, u're at phase 2. Let me ask u this:

1. Do u have a job now as an intern? Do u work now? i meant paid work...not rotation (free labor)
2. If answer yes to 1. Go question 3. If no, go 4.
3. Are you guaranteed to be hired to work once graduating? If yes, congrats. If no , go 4.
4. Sorry you don't have a job...you won't get hired....u have to do a lot of work or change ur field.

At my hospital now, we have an intern who has been working for us for 3 yrs, but she won't be guaranteed a job after done. (No opening). We are trying really hard to push for an PRN job for her....

In response to your comments Rx for life...

1) No more sign-on bonus: Well obviously. Elderly and female pharmacists working more hours due to the recession as well as (to a lesser extent) more graduates, coupled with corporate/administrative cutbacks have reduced these bonuses. This is not evidence of supply>demand.
2) These hiring freezes at most hospitals (throughout the northeast) apply to all areas but physicians and are due to funding cutbacks, which, again, is caused by less federal to state funding from the economy. This will turn around with time.
3) Every 4th year I know at multiple schools has offers. Correct, some markets are currently saturated and relocation may be necessary for a graduate with NO experience as a licensed pharmacist looking for a particular area within pharmacy.
4) See #2.

I simply do not see any sound reasoning/evidence in your logic. Please correct me.

On a side note...
Computer software and network architects are still one of the fastest growing jobs out there. That you're saying this field is obsolete in America is completely off the mark and has implications for the validity of your pharmacy job market comments.

'I personally don't like Obama...because he is incompetent...'
-This recession was ultimately caused by a two decade buildup in financial markets and like the comparable great depression will require close to a decade to fully recover from. This would be the case regardless of who is in office. His 'damn healthcare reform plan' not passing yet is largely the fault of politicians within the legislative branch thinking about their own personal reelection rather than the health care system of the nation.

And to glory: Correct, CVS and Walgreens growth has largely slowed for the moment. Think of what will happen if 30 million more people become insured, couple that with the aging population. Retail growth has been curbed for now, not forever.
Also, check around on some job boards, there are postings (again, in cities in the Northeast) for PRN clinical pharmacists.
Correct, many female pharmacists work full time because they have to. But then again, many others work FT currently because of the economy and spousal job loss. What evidence are you basing your hesitations toward this argument on?

Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Best Regards.

1) No more sign-on bonus: Well obviously. Elderly and female pharmacists working more hours due to the recession as well as (to a lesser extent) more graduates, coupled with corporate/administrative cutbacks have reduced these bonuses. This is not evidence of supply>demand.

Yes, it is the evidence of supply>demand. Why they gave pharmacists bonus 2-3 yrs ago? because they need you!!! because they know they can't fu*...ck with u! if they f** with u, u'll quit and go elsewhere.....lots of choices before...simple as that. Now they dont need u as much as before. If you dont to work for me? Fine! I'll have someone else easily. If you f* up, i'll replace you in a second. Why bothering giving u a bonus? Ever seen a mcdonald employee getting a bonus before being hired ? NO! Ever seen a walmart employee getting a bonus before being hired? NO either...Same trend now with pharmacy. Pharmacists are no longer "special". With this 120 pharmacy schools, you just need to have a double digit IQ and still got in....some pharm school. garbage in= garbage out
2) These hiring freezes at most hospitals (throughout the northeast) apply to all areas but physicians and are due to funding cutbacks, which, again, is caused by less federal to state funding from the economy. This will turn around with time.

Everything is true except for the last part: turning around. That's what they said from 2007...now 3 yrs later...same shiet! nothing has changed...still hiring freeze....don't count on "will", "will be", "is going to be"....

3) Every 4th year I know at multiple schools has offers. Correct, some markets are currently saturated and relocation may be necessary for a graduate with NO experience as a licensed pharmacist looking for a particular area within pharmacy.
Such BS...yes, maybe 1 or 2 got offered because 1. job connection, 2. solid /strong personal candidate...but not "every 4th"...if it's the case then u've been talking to a bunch of liars and BS who are same like u....in denial mode...hiding the truth and not accepting the truth and wanna masturbate the truth just to feel better

Computer software and network architects are still one of the fastest growing jobs out there. That you're saying this field is obsolete in America is completely off the mark and has implications for the validity of your pharmacy job market comments.

yeah yeah...sure...whatever....i can hire an indian guy with 25K/year in india and he can do 400% better than someone here with 70K+401K+benefits with no cost of maintenance fee!!!..
This recession was ultimately caused by a two decade buildup in financial markets and like the comparable great depression will require close to a decade to fully recover from. This would be the case regardless of who is in office. His 'damn healthcare reform plan' not passing yet is largely the fault of politicians within the legislative branch thinking about their own personal reelection rather than the health care system of the nation.

Wrong...it was fine until Bush took over and it got f* up until now. Obama is another dummy moving along the chess table who has no clue how to fix things but makes it worse. Why healthcare reform when u can't fix the economy first??? If people have jobs, they will pay taxes, economy then grows, then we can talk about healthcare reforms. Now, more than 30 million Americans don't have jobs, who are gonna pay the bills for healthcare reform? The rest of course they would say NO since everyone is greedy and selfish, plus insecure about their jobs too...so they have to save every pennies if possible. This monkey doesn't know what to prioritize!!!! Fix the economy first! bring people jobs back! Once u have a job, u will spend. Once u spend, u pay tax, etc...then healthcare reform is a good thing to talk about...

Last edited:
This is a very fine argument you have presented RxforLife. I see no flaws in it and shall refrain from commenting.

To any pre-pharmacy students reading this who are concerned about future stability, do not pay any attention to this nonsense thread.

And to glory: Correct, CVS and Walgreens growth has largely slowed for the moment. Think of what will happen if 30 million more people become insured, couple that with the aging population. Retail growth has been curbed for now, not forever.
Also, check around on some job boards, there are postings (again, in cities in the Northeast) for PRN clinical pharmacists.
Correct, many female pharmacists work full time because they have to. But then again, many others work FT currently because of the economy and spousal job loss. What evidence are you basing your hesitations toward this argument on?

Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Best Regards.

okay, I didn't know that they had PRN for clinical pharmacists, I guess its different here in the South or we haven't got to that advance in clinical pharmacy yet.

I actually don't have any evidence (aside from anecdotes) against female pharmacists working PT though lol I guess I just don't see the benefits of working part time while raising a family, but then again I'm a guy... =D

It's just basic economics that females tend to stay in the workforce as FT for a substantially shorter period of time then men do. When I went for interviews I spoke about this with many of the Deans and they thought likewise that this will have a positive impact on the FT job market for males in the long-term scale of our careers. Pharmacy is also one of the few fields that the PT hourly wage is comparably to the FT wage in certain sectors so females tend to pursue it because they can work PT and raise a family. Of course, there are plenty of FT female pharmacists, don't get me wrong. Food for thought.

okay, I didn't know that they had PRN for clinical pharmacists, I guess its different here in the South or we haven't got to that advance in clinical pharmacy yet.

I actually don't have any evidence (aside from anecdotes) against female pharmacists working PT though lol I guess I just don't see the benefits of working part time while raising a family, but then again I'm a guy... =D

How can you work FULL time and raise a family? :confused: Someone has to stay home with the kids 24/7.

It's just basic economics that females tend to stay in the workforce as FT for a substantially shorter period of time then men do. When I went for interviews I spoke about this with many of the Deans and they thought likewise that this will have a positive impact on the FT job market for males in the long-term scale of our careers. Pharmacy is also one of the few fields that the PT hourly wage is comparably to the FT wage in certain sectors so females tend to pursue it because they can work PT and raise a family. Of course, there are plenty of FT female pharmacists, don't get me wrong. Food for thought.

are you flippin serious? your logic is faulty. Just because some women do the part time thing doesn't mean all do it or even a great majority of women do it. I don't believe even a little bit you see a third of female pharmacists working part time. To live in America, recently, income has to be supplemented by the husband and the wife. Not many people can just live conformably on one person's income. And as a women, I for one, do not want to squander 6 hard years of school on a part time job. In fact, I want two jobs after I graduate...one full time and one part time. I know of 2 women pharmacists when I worked in retail that worked full time at one job and part time in another job.

There is this modern day concept of a babysitter/pre-preschool and oh a husband who stays at home to watch the kids if they don't make as much as the wife.

Plus with mail order companies like Express Script allowing remote input/visual verifying (which lets face it....is basically the future in a nut shell). A women could work at home if she really wanted to for full time.

Last edited:
How can you work FULL time and raise a family? :confused: Someone has to stay home with the kids 24/7.

Hmmm, I wonder how the vast majority of the women in this country pulls this off. Give you a hint, it's called d__care.

This is a very fine argument you have presented RxforLife. I see no flaws in it and shall refrain from commenting.

To any pre-pharmacy students reading this who are concerned about future stability, do not pay any attention to this nonsense thread.

thanks, now i can rest my case...seriously, if i am now a freshman in highschool knowing this , i would definitely shoot for an MD, then follow a residency/fellowship after that. There is no shortcut. Degree inflation is way too much.....You were gold back in 1950s if u have a highschool , and 1970 with a bachelor degree, now nearly everyone has BS/BA and MA/MS....what's next? Just an MD...not easy to get. You're talking about a commitment with 10+ yrs post HS...

I've seen too many *******es trying to get into pharmacy. It drives me craaaaazy.

What's worse, the *******es who try to get in

or the *******es who get in, don't work, are lazy, slack off, and then have to drop out, when one of those *******es who got in would have been motivated enough to work night and day and is actually doing ok? :)

Hint: one of these is me!

Actually, edit:

This is very true. Even if you are a very knowledgeable pharmacist, it doesn't matter in retail. As a matter of fact, it is even counterproductive if you try to be a clinical pharmacist in retail.

This is the worst, because it's true :(

I guess that means students will actually have to get more than C's through pharmacy school in order to distinguish themselves :) The C's get degrees mentality isn't going to work anymore...or so it seems.

I guess that means students will actually have to get more than C's through pharmacy school in order to distinguish themselves :) The C's get degrees mentality isn't going to work anymore...or so it seems.

Your school is smarter than mine, it seems: My school's motto is "D's get Degrees" !

I thought this was interesting. In 2009, US News and World Report did a profile of America's Best careers of 2009. Pharmacy showed up and midway down the page:

http://www.usnews.com/money/careers/articles/2008/12/11/best-careers-2009-pharmacist.html

Good news and bad news on the job market: The good news is that current demand is strong and that more pharmacy schools are opening, which will make it easier for you to get in. The bad news is that those new schools will be pumping out lots of new graduates, which will make it harder to land a job.

Omg...if you just reply on these news/articles and make conclusion then that is very misleading.....The evidence of a surplus>demand is quite obvious as followed:
1. No more to limited sign on bonus as comparing to previous years before.
2. Retails/ Hospitals across nationwide currently have "hiring freeze" (= hire nobody to temporary hiring)
3. Graduates have a hard time to find jobs...have to relocate further than before, some even have to move to other states.
4. Students are applying to residency more and more since they know they can't get a job at this time...

And finally, a solid proof would be you....you should just do a testimony. Call up the place where u wanna work, say that u're a pharmacist looking for a job and see how they response....

This hospital I work at just hired two new pharmacists. Both of which are fresh out of school, and did not do a residency/fellowship of any sort. Also, we just filled 3 new tech positions....We have 3 pharmacy schools within an hour drive of the hospital, and another opening up...So, as far as my experience goes, I'd have to disagree with you about the "hiring freeze nationwide." I'm sure the situation is much worse in other areas of the country though.

This hospital I work at just hired two new pharmacists. Both of which are fresh out of school, and did not do a residency/fellowship of any sort. Also, we just filled 3 new tech positions....We have 3 pharmacy schools within an hour drive of the hospital, and another opening up...So, as far as my experience goes, I'd have to disagree with you about the "hiring freeze nationwide." I'm sure the situation is much worse in other areas of the country though.

+1. We just hired (within last 6 months) two new pharmacists and 3 new techs as well.

woohoo! 2 pharmcists hired!!! The pharmacist shortage is back!! :thumbup:

I swear, talking to some of the people on this board is like dealing with my 7yr old cousin. I was addressing rxforlifes blanket generalization of "hiring freeze nationwide...blah blah", and stated how in my particular hospital, openings are abundant. Rxlea chimed in with their hospital hiring as well. I also stated how I'm sure this scenario isn't likely nationwide. But, I forgot I was dealing with clowns like yourself who would make a ******ed comment. Shouldn't you be working now anyways? Or do you prefer spending your days off perusing SDN threads....

I swear, talking to some of the people on this board is like dealing with my 7yr old cousin. I was addressing rxforlifes blanket generalization of "hiring freeze nationwide...blah blah", and stated how in my particular hospital, openings are abundant. Rxlea chimed in with their hospital hiring as well. I also stated how I'm sure this scenario isn't likely nationwide. But, I forgot I was dealing with clowns like yourself who would make a ******ed comment. Shouldn't you be working now anyways? Or do you prefer spending your days off perusing SDN threads....

So sez a little student..

So Einstein, were those 2 positions new positions or vacancy fill?

I know your market better than you.

btw, I am working. But you have no idea.

So sez a little student..

So Einstein, were those 2 positions new positions or vacancy fill?

I know your market better than you.

btw, I am working. But you have no idea.

Hahaha...I love how you think your better than me because your a pharmacist. Oh let me praise you because your a big bad pharmacist...haha please...your a dime a dozen just like the rest of them, just like the rest of us students. So stop acting so pretentious, its old. Btw......new positions. Take that however you'd like.

Hahaha...I love how you think your better than me because your a pharmacist. Oh let me praise you because your a big bad pharmacist...haha please...your a dime a dozen just like the rest of them, just like the rest of us students. So stop acting so pretentious, its old. Btw......new positions. Take that however you'd like.
ignorance is bliss....

Last edited:

Why is a shortage the only possible scenario in which pharmacists are finding jobs? That's not a shot at you, but I've noticed that trend; everybody on this forum either argues that there's a shortage or there's a surplus, with no middle ground.

Z is definitely not a dime a dozen. He's actually a pretty big player in the hospital pharmacy field. He works with over 250 hospitals nationwide. Definitely not your run of the mill "lick, stick and pour" guy.

But what you're saying has some credence to it; from what I've seen, the Buffalo market isn't yet as bad as other parts of the country. I have a friend who several months back was looking to switch jobs and had offers from five or six different hospitals fall right in her lap. Hospitals being more selective about who they hire does not mean there are no jobs available whatsoever.

Oh really? Then that's even bad news for u in the future...Now u have 2 less spots to apply to after graduation...Believe me, those pharmacists who got hired will work very hard and they won't leave until the hospital closes....lol....so yeah, u most likely won't get the job at that hospital anymore since there is no more openings after....:(

At my hospital, we consistently have phone calls from outside asking for jobs even per diem/part time...especially new grads....they even talked to my boss saying that they willing to work for free for 3 months as "trial" and free training, then start getting paid, but my boss said NO.

It is bad time now....and it is gonna get worse....

Oh really? Then that's even bad news for u in the future...Now u have 2 less spots to apply to after graduation...Believe me, those pharmacists who got hired will work very hard and they won't leave until the hospital closes....lol....so yeah, u most likely won't get the job at that hospital anymore since there is no more openings after....:(

At my hospital, we consistently have phone calls from outside asking for jobs even per diem/part time...especially new grads....they even talked to my boss saying that they willing to work for free for 3 months as "trial" and free training, then start getting paid, but my boss said NO.

It is bad time now....and it is gonna get worse....
Very true...I didn't even look at it that way. I'll do my best to network and try to intern there (if my school allows me to intern at a place I've already previously worked, which I don't think they like) But, all good points by you.
Your situation sounds pretty bad, something my area hasn't experienced yet, but looks to experience in the foreseeable future. Where abouts are you located? You don't have to tell me the exact place, but just the area in general? Sorry if you already posted that and I missed it.

hckyplyr, I agree with the others, you should be much more respectful to anonymous people on here. You never know who is a millionaire big shot who knows more than you will ever know and who can crush you!! Just because they're posting in the middle of the day doesn't mean that they're a P1 sitting at home in their PJs pretending to be all high falutin' or anything. For example, I have it on good counsel that LuvUrMamasBeachBalls is a very senior at the Mayo Clinic, and WannaBeUrLuvDaddy4589 is really high up at the FDA. So it's best to show respect and only speak when spoken to.

I think you should take some of your own advice...and speak when spoken to, instead of jumping on peoples bandwagon. I made a post about the hospital I work at, and its hiring situation. The other poster decided to be sarcastic and purposely overexaggerate my comment, which wasn't needed. I respect many people on this board, and rarely ever stir the pot. But as far as this afternoon is concerned, its water under the bridge and I forgot about it...maybe you should to.

I think Jetninjin was being facetious in his/her post.

By the way, are you serious that UB doesn't like students interning at places that they worked during pre-pharmacy? That seems odd. Can anyone who currently attends or who has graduated from UB confirm or deny this, and if it's true, do you know why UB frowns on that?

I think Jetninjin was being facetious in his/her post.

By the way, are you serious that UB doesn't like students interning at places that they worked during pre-pharmacy? That seems odd. Can anyone who currently attends or who has graduated from UB confirm or deny this, and if it's true, do you know why UB frowns on that?
I asked at my interview if I would be able to intern at the current retail location and hospital location I've been working at, and the interviewer's told me the school is funny about that, and strongly prefers to have me intern at another location. Also, I asked a 2006 UB grad last week at the hospital, and he said I could intern for the same retail company, but not the same location. In addition, I work for a Catholic Health hospital, I would be able to intern at another catholic health hospital, but not my current one. However, I have not 100% confirmed this with UB yet, I was waiting until school starts in the Fall...Hopefully someone can prove me wrong though.
I was "told" they frown upon that because your ex-employer would treat you more as a tech/hired help, because you used to work as a tech, instead of treating you like an intern. I disagree with that logic, my pharmacists have been tremendous mentors, and I have developed great friendships with them. They have taught me so much, knowing I am going to school for pharmacy. So, it would be unfortunate if I couldn't intern with them. Maybe some other UB students/grads can help out with this one????

If you look around your department, what do you see? What is the age distribution of your current pharmacy staff? What percentage of your pharmacists are < 5 years removed from graduation?

The hospital where I volunteered up until about 6 months ago was mainly rphs in their late 40s and 50s, with kids out of college. One rph even turned 70 while I was there! There were a couple of people in their 30s, but I don't recall anyone besides techs in their 20s. Every department in the hospital was under a hiring freeze with the exception of pharmacy. Openings usually came either when pharmacists left for other positions (which still happened on a regular basis as of 6 months ago), moved away, or moved into administrative positions within the hospital. The age distribution was pretty in line with the pharmacy manpower survey results I posted here a few weeks back - more than 1/3 of pharmacists in the US are older than 55.