do you think the MCAT will matter less very soon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuhh

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
wassup err1. hope everyones doing well. so i was wondering, now that step 1 is pass fail, does that take some importance off of the MCAT? Bc i heard MCAT is supposed to be the main predictor for Step scores but now what? Im sure theres more to this, so im wondering what yall think of my opinion

edit to clarify... Im wondering if the MCAT will be less important for adcoms bc Step 1 is P/F

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have heard No the MCAT won't go P/F anytime soon. Right now the best predictor of med school success is a combination of MCAT and GPA. Maybe in the next few years but if you are hoping for P/F MCAT in the next 5 years I highly doubt they will make that change before that time.
Source

Reactions: 1 users
I have heard No the MCAT won't go P/F anytime soon. Right now the best predictor of med school success is a combination of MCAT and GPA. Maybe in the next few years but if you are hoping for P/F MCAT in the next 5 years I highly doubt they will make that change before that time.
Source
no no im not saying that MCAT will go P/F

Will the MCAT hold less weight for adcoms during med school apps

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly doubt it. I actually have a crazy theory that it might start holding more weight. I'd be curious to see what the breakdown of grades/gpas has been since the start of COVID. It seems like for many grades have gone up due to the transition to online classes. And if that's the case I could see the MCAT being more of a factor to differentiate COVID grade inflation. Again, this just conjecture and is slightly tangential to your original question.

Reactions: 2 users
I highly doubt it. I actually have a crazy theory that it might start holding more weight. I'd be curious to see what the breakdown of grades/gpas has been since the start of COVID. It seems like for many grades have gone up due to the transition to online classes. And if that's the case I could see the MCAT being more of a factor to differentiate COVID grade inflation. Again, this just conjecture and is slightly tangential to your original question.
altho ik what ur saying, covid is only a short term thing. this wont be the case over the next few years. Also, i heard a while ago that Covid MCAT scores were also up, maybe due to the shorter exam time? Maybe because there are so many resources like UWorld and Anki? who knows haha but I hope it doesnt. Its the only thing going for me haha

No. MCAT going P/F schools might start looking at where you graduated from to gauge difficulty. Then where you go to college starts to matter. SAT next victim?

Reactions: 1 user
Source
Thanks for that source, @drstranger

wassup err1. hope everyones doing well. so i was wondering, now that step 1 is pass fail, does that take some importance off of the MCAT? Bc i heard MCAT is supposed to be the main predictor for Step scores but now what? Im sure theres more to this, so im wondering what yall think of my opinion

edit to clarify... Im wondering if the MCAT will be less important for adcoms bc Step 1 is P/F

According to the methodology used by US News & World Report, 13% of each school's rank is determined by median MCAT score of the matriculating class.

Unless this changes there is no chance whatsoever that the MCAT will be broadly de-emphasized.

You heard VERY wrong.

Preclinical GPAs are very good predictors of Boards performance. MCAT is a weak predictor, at best.

Stop engaging in premed thinking.

Preclinical GPAs are very good predictors of Boards performance. MCAT is a weak predictor, at best.

I'm currently evaluating my perception of GPA/MCAT and Board performance. @Goro, could you direct me to some published studies that you trust on these topics?

I'm currently evaluating my perception of GPA/MCAT and Board performance. @Goro, could you direct me to some published studies that you trust on these topics?
Literally just use google scholar and you will find several publications on medical student performance and predictors.

• Love