AAMC Traffic Rules For the April 15th Deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joer123

Reaction score
I am still waiting for financial aid offers from most of my admitted schools. I know the traffic rules say by April 15th to drop all but 3 offers. I have also heard that this is just a suggestion, not a requirement, but I cannot find any official AAMC sources that say its a suggestion. Can anyone clarify or provide official links where it says its a suggestion. And is the process as simple as sending an email to a school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am still waiting for financial aid offers from most of my admitted schools. I know the traffic rules say by April 15th to drop all but 3 offers. I have also heard that this is just a suggestion, not a requirement, but I cannot find any official AAMC sources that say its a suggestion. Can anyone clarify or provide official links where it says its a suggestion. And is the process as simple as sending an email to a school?
Technically, it is a "compact" or "gentleman's agreement." The schools get these guidelines but can opt to adhere to them or not. There is no regulation to enforce the timelines except when it comes for information to become accessible to admissions teams.

Recommendations to help ensure that all MD and MD-PhD applicants receive timely notification about the outcome of their AMCAS® application. These guidelines are not intended to supersede the policies, timelines, or discretion of individual schools or programs. Each applicant is expected to become familiar with the procedures and requirements of each school to which they apply.

Hey Mr. Smile, quick question about the traffic rules. Some of the schools I have been accepted to have in their timelines that we need to limit our acceptances to 3 by tomorrow. Can they see how many acceptances we have tomorrow and is there a chance we could randomly be taken off schools acceptance pool if we do not narrow down? I am still waiting on FA packages from a significant number of schools. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Mr. Smile, quick question about the traffic rules. Some of the schools I have been accepted to have in their timelines that we need to limit our acceptances to 3 by tomorrow. Can they see how many acceptances we have tomorrow and is there a chance we could randomly be taken off schools acceptance pool if we do not narrow down? I am still waiting on FA packages from a significant number of schools. Thanks!
None of the schools have the PTE deadline for tomorrow which is why I ask.

I think things changed over the past few years and schools, at this point, cannot see where you hold offers. The "rules" are more like good etiquette. Given the financial aid/FASIS debacle this year, schools are certainly cutting students some slack.

I think things changed over the past few years and schools, at this point, cannot see where you hold offers. The "rules" are more like good etiquette. Given the financial aid/FASIS debacle this year, schools are certainly cutting students some slack.
Thank you!

You will not/never be taken off a waitlist "randomly." You should get at least a scary-sounding email threatening to remove you from the class (likely written by AI, BTW), so if you receive such a communication, email them back asking about the status of FA packages. Under the current circumstances, I'm sure the schools will try to be as flexible as possible. In general, you should be warned a few times before a school rescinds your offer.

You will not/never be taken off a waitlist "randomly." You should get at least a scary-sounding email threatening to remove you from the class (likely written by AI, BTW), so if you receive such a communication, email them back asking about the status of FA packages. Under the current circumstances, I'm sure the schools will try to be as flexible as possible. In general, you should be warned a few times before a school rescinds your offer.
Thanks for the response!

Reactions: 1 user
As of right now, I'm down to four acceptances, and I emailed my last school yesterday to withdraw so I can get down to three acceptances. I even tried calling the school today; however, no one picked up or answered the email yet. On the school's thread, it seems that they haven't responded to another student's withdrawal request for a week now. What happens if I don't get my acceptances down to three because this single school takes forever to get back to my withdrawal request? I'm worried that it'll cause my current acceptances to be rescinded.

Reactions: 1 user
Sadly, there is no option to withdraw through the school's online portal and I don't believe I can through AMCAS either. The school's portal says to withdraw by emailing the admissions team.

I have a feeling that its not that deep. You did your due diligence and your email timestamp is evidence of that if it comes up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
As of right now, I'm down to four acceptances, and I emailed my last school yesterday to withdraw so I can get down to three acceptances. I even tried calling the school today; however, no one picked up or answered the email yet. On the school's thread, it seems that they haven't responded to another student's withdrawal request for a week now. What happens if I don't get my acceptances down to three because this single school takes forever to get back to my withdrawal request? I'm worried that it'll cause my current acceptances to be rescinded.

At the very least, the school should confirm receiving your withdrawal request. Offices tend to be busy and may not be timely updating all portals.