"Do you h ave any questions?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emclark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happened a couple times that the first question out of the program director's mouth during our interview is "do you have any questions for me?" And that's it. That's the interview.

Has this happened to other people?

Kinda frustrating and concerning. I've flown across the country at great expense to my time and money, turned down other interview offers to be here and I'm told that everything they need to know about me is already in the application. Is this a kiss off? Is this an admission that nothing I do or say could possibly get me a chance at their program so there's no point in deciding if I've got a personality? Why even invite me?

I've had a career before medicine, I'm from a strange city, there are hobbies on my application most folk like to talk about.

Have other folk had this experience? Anybody on the other side of the application process have any experience or thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a few interviews start off with Do you have any questions, but only a couple where it ended after that. I felt it was more a very very poor form of interviewing. Usually for me, the asking question part flowed into a discussion, so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Yeah, I had several interviews like this as well. Sometimes it was just an opener and led to a conversation, sometimes the whole interview was me asking him questions. A few times, they opened with it but actually had a list of standardized questions to ask me as well (these were the weirdest).

I agree that this is just really bad interviewing skills and doesn't reflect on the quality of your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had this question a few times. Like turkeyjerky said, sometimes they open with it, but then ask standardized questions later. I don't think that it's that everything they need to know is in your app. The way I see it, the interview serves 3 purposes:

1) For the program to clarify anything from your app that needs clarifying.
2) For the interviewer to learn about the program and ask any questions.
3) For the program to make sure you're not an a-hole/crazy/antisocial.

By physically going to the interview, hearing their spiel, and talking with residents, you are fulfilling #2. By closing themselves in a small office with you for 15 to 30 minutes, they are fulfilling #3. If your app is pretty clear, they may not need to ask directly about #1. However, I assume that some interviewers will actually fulfill #1 indirectly through conversation. Just because they don't explicitly say "tell me about X on your app" doesn't mean that they aren't paying attention to some quality about you that relates to the things in your app.

For instance, say you have some research on your app because you genuinely enjoy research. Perhaps you also wrote about wanting to do research in your career. When the interviewer asks if you have any questions, maybe they are listening to see "what's important to this applicant?" or "are they going to ask me a more in depth question about our research opportunities?"

This is THE WORST. I know a lot of people have gotten this because we all gripe about it together. I think they're just trying to be nice and helpful or whatever, but to me it comes across as 'I didn't read your application' or 'I don't care about you beyond your scores and what's on your CV'. The 'So I usually just reserve this time to answer any questions you have...' question is the one I dread (and get...sometimes multiple times!) at every interview. So annoying.

Those were definitely the worst interviews! There's nothing more awkward than knowing that the rest of the interview is only to be more awkward.…

Then again - the applicant prepared with the most interesting questions stands out the best. Look at things from the director's perspective - they probably don't want to "sell" you on their program during your individual interview. They likely assume you are there because something attracted you to their program, and that most of the "sell" took place before your interview.

Try the following questions to get to their level:

"If you were in my stage of training, what would attract you to this program?"
"Tell me about your most interesting resident that you remember."
"What made you want to be a program director here?"
"How does this program compare to where you trained?"
"What do you like to do in this town outside of the hospital?"

you get the gist...

I have been dumbstruck by some of this weird interview behavior and have taken this opportunity to rant. My apologies.

Like the OP, my interview experience has been slightly disappointing at some programs. When somebody opens up with: do you have any questions, it seems to be either because they are allowing you to get your burning issues out early (very kind) or because they are a lousy interviewer (all too common). One guy admitted that he hadn't even read my app and attempted to peruse it in front of me. Another, asked me only if I had questions, and then yammered on about the program for 15 minutes--(why did I buy this plane ticket again?).

I have heard all kinds of stereotypes about docs being lousy businesspeople, and they seem to be demonstrated in interview season. Interviewing is a pretty fundamental job skill if you are involved in the hiring process, but it is very evident that some of the folks who do it, lack training and proficiency.

Maybe it's just me though. I have also been unimpressed with places that let you know 1-2 weeks prior about dinners and times for the interview. Dude! I'm buying plane tickets a month in advance! WTFO?

And how ridiculous do we, the applicants, look rolling in to these interviews in suits when the ED attendings don't even bother to put on a collared shirt? Certainly, it's their prerogative, but not very classy. If the dress code is casual for the job interview, I'm cool with that. How about stating it on the invitation to interview?

Please pardon the thread hijack.

I'm not defending lousy interviewers, but this is a fair question. I ask it to every applicant I interview (among a number of other questions, btw), because it tells me a lot about you: what your priorities are, how much research you've done on the program, what insight you have into EM training, etc...

I'm not defending lousy interviewers, but this is a fair question. I ask it to every applicant I interview (among a number of other questions, btw), because it tells me a lot about you: what your priorities are, how much research you've done on the program, what insight you have into EM training, etc...
Of course it's a fair question, and I've been disappointed during every interview where they didn't give me an opportunity to ask questions. I don't think anyone would disagree with you, but that's not the complaint people have.

Of course it's a fair question, and I've been disappointed during every interview where they didn't give me an opportunity to ask questions. I don't think anyone would disagree with you, but that's not the complaint people have.

No disagreement here. I'm just trying to help folks understand the motivation so they can have a good response ready. Niner's are some great suggestions.

this is also one of my biggest peeves during an interview. I literally spent one interview asking questions the whole time, and then at the end, I was asked "do you have any questions?" I wanted to walk out right there. As someone who interviewed residency applicants this year, I will usually start off saying, "feel free to jump in with questions at any time", and not ask again at the end of the interview.

Maybe it's just me though. I have also been unimpressed with places that let you know 1-2 weeks prior about dinners and times for the interview. Dude! I'm buying plane tickets a month in advance! WTFO?

Please pardon the thread hijack.

Almost everywhere has the dinner the night before, ie 6 or 7pm, done in time for people to get sleep for their interview that will inevitably start sometime between 7 and 8.

If you really need to know well ahead to get plane tickets, email the coordinator. But I think if you are cutting your travel plans so close that it matters, you are asking for trouble. I'd say plan to be in the town you are interviewing by 4pm the day before, plan to be totally done by 6pm the day of the interview.

On the scale of the shananagins that places pull, I think telling you the time of the dinner 2 weeks ahead of time is not a big deal.

I guess I agree in that it is frustrating to ask questions for the entirety of an interview, but I suppose I understand the reasoning behind it. I can't say it ever made me negatively judge a program, but those interviews were often the ones I would walk out of feeling the most strangely.

It's difficult as well, since often at social events, most if not all questions I have are usually answered by residents/chiefs, and then when I have 5 interviews to ask questions, and I finish with the PD and have no questions left, it makes for an awkward moment. The trick is to always have a pair of questions for the director, assistant director, and try to avoid those in your other interviews.

On the social event notice, I agree with above poster. It can be frustrating to find out after getting a ticket, but I found that in most ERAS interview email offers there was a brief mention on whether the social event was the day before or the day of, and it was universally between 630 and 7pm start time.

On the scale of the shananagins that places pull, I think telling you the time of the dinner 2 weeks ahead of time is not a big deal.

True. Far worse things have happened to me in my professional life.

I'm suggesting that failing to get info to the applicants and allowing interviewers to conduct the session any crazy way they want are both symptoms of lack of organization or oversight in the interview process. It was surprising to me with the amount of money and energy spent on the interview process, that a program wouldn't ensure that these important details are handled professionally. This is more glaring when compared to the organizations that have their act together.

I only mention it because it has made a difference for me in my rank list. Having worked for an agency that can't seem to handle it's admin functions, I'd opt for something else if I have a choice, and all else is equal. This year I do.

I think you should not take this "do you have any questions" question personally. I ask it a lot. The whole point of the interview is ME selling the program to YOU. Therefore, I want to make sure you know everything you want/need to know about the program. Yes, you are selling yourself too, but you already sold yourself by getting the interview spot. By the time you get to the interview, I already know most of what I need to know about you, pretty much. So, it is not a negative thing whatsoever. It is really about making sure you know that your concerns are my top priority. I would hesitate to discount a program based on them asking that question off the bat.

From the interviewer's perspective:

If you got an interview, your stats are good enough to get in to the program technically. Applicants are definitely a bell curve based on stats. A few are standouts, a few total duds/how is it we offered this one an interview, and the most are in a generic average category. So the interview is definitely important. If you're great, it's your chance to show me you're not a sociopath. If you're average, it's your chance to stand out to us. And if you're lower statistically, it's your chance to convince us to take a chance on you.

I definitely disagree with interviewers showing up poorly dressed, having not read the application, or not asking you anything about yourself past "do you have any questions." Not respectful to the applicant at all, and it is in large part on us to get you engaged.

However, there are few things as disappointing to an interviewer as an applicant who has no questions, and no initiative to ask me something, bring up something about themselves, or talk to me about the program. The "Oh I heard everything I need in the intro lecture" is interpreted usually as "This is my practice interview." The interview is your chance, if you have average or poor stats, to stand out, show us you care, and show us that you did your homework and are really interested. So always have a few questions prepared, nine's suggestions are great. You ca always ask questions, even if it's clarifying something in the intro lecture.

I totally agree that I am trying to impress you and should be, I'm trying to convince you my program is the best out of your 15 interviews. But you owe it to yourself to do the homework and talk to me as well. Remember you're trying to convince me I want you out of 150 applicants.

Also, remember your interviewers are human. We interview 16 people a day, either 8 x 30min interviews or 16 x 15 minute interviewers for our PD. If you have an awesome application, great scores, great reviews, and you're number 7 or 8 that day, you're a no brainer and truthfully we'd be lucky to have you, so I just want to know how I can convince you (or if you're a statistically weak applicant and you fail to show any investment/interest in the program, that's all I need also). If that's the case I should also be showering you with praise/interest no matter how tired I am.

Overall, remember an interview goes two ways, and I have been on both sides. regardless, it is miserable to try to be the one carrying an interview. So come with questions prepared. And if you feel you were not shown respect, that's not the program for you

I also think there is a point where it is okay to say "that's all I have." I've had interviews in my life where the person kept saying "any other questions?" After asking 3 or 4 it was time to tell them I didn't have anymore. Don't think it's a super common interview tactic but some people won't end it until the interviewee says they are done. (Side note, I do this to people a lot when debriefing scenarios or simulation. I'll keep asking "anything else you would have done?" until they say that's it. The new students tend to try to make things up that they missed because they think I'm looking for something. What I'm looking for is that they have the confidence that they did every thing they wanted to do. A little off topic but worth keeping in mind when someone keeps asking "anything else?"

From the interviewer's perspective:

If you got an interview, your stats are good enough to get in to the program technically. Applicants are definitely a bell curve based on stats. A few are standouts, a few total duds/how is it we offered this one an interview, and the most are in a generic average category. So the interview is definitely important. If you're great, it's your chance to show me you're not a sociopath. If you're average, it's your chance to stand out to us. And if you're lower statistically, it's your chance to convince us to take a chance on you.

I definitely disagree with interviewers showing up poorly dressed, having not read the application, or not asking you anything about yourself past "do you have any questions." Not respectful to the applicant at all, and it is in large part on us to get you engaged.

However, there are few things as disappointing to an interviewer as an applicant who has no questions, and no initiative to ask me something, bring up something about themselves, or talk to me about the program. The "Oh I heard everything I need in the intro lecture" is interpreted usually as "This is my practice interview." The interview is your chance, if you have average or poor stats, to stand out, show us you care, and show us that you did your homework and are really interested. So always have a few questions prepared, nine's suggestions are great. You ca always ask questions, even if it's clarifying something in the intro lecture.

I totally agree that I am trying to impress you and should be, I'm trying to convince you my program is the best out of your 15 interviews. But you owe it to yourself to do the homework and talk to me as well. Remember you're trying to convince me I want you out of 150 applicants.

Also, remember your interviewers are human. We interview 16 people a day, either 8 x 30min interviews or 16 x 15 minute interviewers for our PD. If you have an awesome application, great scores, great reviews, and you're number 7 or 8 that day, you're a no brainer and truthfully we'd be lucky to have you, so I just want to know how I can convince you (or if you're a statistically weak applicant and you fail to show any investment/interest in the program, that's all I need also). If that's the case I should also be showering you with praise/interest no matter how tired I am.

Overall, remember an interview goes two ways, and I have been on both sides. regardless, it is miserable to try to be the one carrying an interview. So come with questions prepared. And if you feel you were not shown respect, that's not the program for you

As is consistent with the push and pull, what you've posted is somewhat unsustainable. When you are a new interviewer, you ask, "Do you have any questions?" Applicants ask them. After 10 or 15 times, you can anticipate that the question is likely to be asked. As such, while talking, you answer it before it is posed. After interviewing 50 applicants, and then over 3 or 4 years, how likely is it for you to get a new question that isn't out of left field?

As is consistent with the push and pull, what you've posted is somewhat unsustainable. When you are a new interviewer, you ask, "Do you have any questions?" Applicants ask them. After 10 or 15 times, you can anticipate that the question is likely to be asked. As such, while talking, you answer it before it is posed. After interviewing 50 applicants, and then over 3 or 4 years, how likely is it for you to get a new question that isn't out of left field?

Apollyon - you have taught me to ask this question:

Dear Apollyon: Have you interviewed "50 applicants, and then over 3 or 4 years, how likely is it for you to get a new question that isn't out of left field?"

I brace for a personal attack, but ask for you to consider the poster's perspective and an "academic's" perspective.

HH

Apollyon - you have taught me to ask this question:

Dear Apollyon: Have you interviewed "50 applicants, and then over 3 or 4 years, how likely is it for you to get a new question that isn't out of left field?"

I brace for a personal attack, but ask for you to consider the poster's perspective and an "academic's" perspective.

HH

"Braced for personal attack"? Really? Again, with your writing style, I have difficulty parsing out your point - how did I word it, such that it wounded you so - florid? Turgid?. Can you ask your question or make your point with clarity? It is because I do not understand which way you are going here. "...ask for you to consider the poster's perspective and an "academic's" perspective." What does that even mean?

If a place interviews 150/year, 50 is a reasonable number for an interviewer to see. It could easily be more. Then, if a person is on the committee for 3 or 4 years, that combines with the 50/year. What questions are new, that aren't off-color, completely (or nearly) irrelevant, or just dumb?

So, completely candidly, what is your point?