DO Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I never post, but I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts. I am currently waitlisted at three DO programs. Do I still have a shot to get in this cycle? The schools are ARCOM, NYITCOM-JB, and LECOM. Feeling a little discouraged tonight; hoping for good news soon!

Stats: 3.81, 496

5000+ hours scribing (and all the other pre-med stuff). :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

So I never post, but I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts. I am currently waitlisted at three DO programs. Do I still have a shot to get in this cycle? The schools are ARCOM, NYITCOM-JB, and LECOM. Feeling a little discouraged tonight; hoping for good news soon!

I think you might have a pretty good shot at ARCOM. I was pulled from their waitlist two weeks ago. My MCAT was the same and my sGPA was 3.89. I’m not sure if being an URM helped, but whatever it was I got in.

If you don't, work on getting the MCAT > 500

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

NYIT-JB interviewed so many people that it's a crapshoot at this point. LECOM is probably pretty similar, but ARCOM seems to be experiencing a good amount of movement from what I've seen, especially people with lower MCAT scores. If you're a URM that will only help your chances. Good luck and keep your head up!

P.S. If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same boat, but with four schools. I'm currently prepping to re-take the MCAT, and that's really helping take my mind off this application cycle. Just think, if you conquer the MCAT this summer, you'll have your pick of any school next year!

Reactions: 2 users

I just got ARCOM's wait list two days ago and I had very similar GPA/MCAT and 3000+ hours of scribing

I’m still on the waitlist at NYIT and haven’t heard since. Good luck!

Every day I say "today is the day", then it hits 5PM and I'm like well they've probably gone home for the day. This waiting is killing me :( I just wanna get a yes or no!

Reactions: 10 users
Every day I say "today is the day", then it hits 5PM and I'm like well they've probably gone home for the day. This waiting is killing me :( I just wanna get a yes or no!

Same here bud. I’ve found studying for the MCAT again to be productively distracting...

Reactions: 1 user
Just think about how to improve your app for the next go as well.

For those of you fortunate to have an acceptance but on WL for your top choice, what are you doing about housing? I keep putting off searching for housing with hopes I'll hear something from my WL school, but so far I've not heard anything. I don't want to sign a lease and then get off the WL later because that'll be another mess.

If you don't mind me asking, have you gone ahead and finalized housing at the school you are accepted at? I'm in the same situation as you. I'm lucky to have gotten one acceptance but prefer the schools I'm WL'd at due to personal/financial reasons. But I don't want to sign a lease and have to end up breaking the lease if I do end up getting off the WL.

If you don't mind me asking, have you gone ahead and finalized housing at the school you are accepted at? I'm in the same situation as you. I'm lucky to have gotten one acceptance but prefer the schools I'm WL'd at due to personal/financial reasons. But I don't want to sign a lease and have to end up breaking the lease if I do end up getting off the WL.
At some point you have to commit to housing. I'm waitlisted at one school but I hate to pass up the house I found at my accepted school. Dont forget alot of places have an app/credit etc check

Sickened me to sign a lease but I signed a lease last week due all of the good housing options being taken quickly. Make sure if you do sign a lease though, that there is a way out of it without losing too much money, just in case! I lose ~2K if I give up my lease lol. BUT worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m planning on going next week and getting a monthly leased furnished apartment. That way I can just stay there for a month and if I end up not getting off the WL then I’ll just search for a permanent place while I’m staying in the furnished apartment. I think that’s the most financially responsible option. I might not get the best house or apartment by signing so late but I should be fine in the end.

Thanks for all your replies. You guys are absolutely right. I think it's time I start thinking practically because I don't want to be left hanging in the end when it comes to my living situation. I'll have to do some research and look for places that will let me break the lease without losing too much (if it does come down to that) like nickraj13 said. Stuff like this makes the waitlist process much more stressful, lol!

Has anyone heard of ARCOM waitlist movement recently? The email last week said the waitlist movement is increasing but the forum on here has been relatively quiet.

Last edited:
Just got off waitlist from TUNCOM. Will be switching acceptances with my friend at KCU.
Good luck . It's moving 1 at a time

Reactions: 8 users
I think you might have a pretty good shot at ARCOM. I was pulled from their waitlist two weeks ago. My MCAT was the same and my sGPA was 3.89. I’m not sure if being an URM helped, but whatever it was I got in.

Trust me, URM is helpful in gaining admission.

Whereas I am "ORM" which is certainly the opposite of helpful, even with higher stats, ie. GPA 3.95 and lots of medical experience and volunteering.

I am truly happy for you, but I am frustrated about being waitlisted everywhere.

Trust me, URM is helpful in gaining admission.

Whereas I am "ORM" which is certainly the opposite of helpful, even with higher stats, ie. GPA 3.95 and lots of medical experience and volunteering.

I am truly happy for you, but I am frustrated about being waitlisted everywhere.
I have an ORM friend who got accepted with about the same MCAT and lower GPA. So don't count yourself out for being ORM! If you don't end up getting accepted in the next month or so, I would still suggest get your MCAT over a 500, but also get your app in by August-early October, try to get some more ECs, and work on your interviewing skills as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
How do you go about switching acceptances? I've never heard of such thing.

We both were on high waitlist of both schools. We're both from southern california and he prefers to stay west coast. He was accepted to KCU first but was waitlisted at TUNCOM. We spoke with the office then the dean regarding the case and they approved.

I have an ORM friend who got accepted with about the same MCAT and lower GPA. So don't count yourself out for being ORM! If you don't end up getting accepted in the next month or so, I would still suggest get your MCAT over a 500, but also get your app in by August-early October, try to get some more ECs, and work on your interviewing skills as well.

My MCAT is already >500.

What are y'alls thoughts on me retaking the MCAT? I have below 3.0 uGPA, 3.8 post-bacc GPA, 3.6 graduate GPA (in a med school based grad program). Great ECs (service abroad, service domestically, lots if reaserch, scribing, etc). No DO letter (but working on it). Had a 502 MCAT. I am waitlisted currently (GPA was lower when i got the II). I know a higher MCAT would help but obviously if its not necessary...

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

What are y'alls thoughts on me retaking the MCAT? I have below 3.0 uGPA, 3.8 post-bacc GPA, 3.6 graduate GPA (in a med school based grad program). Great ECs (service abroad, service domestically, lots if reaserch, scribing, etc). No DO letter (but working on it). Had a 502 MCAT. I am waitlisted currently (GPA was lower when i got the II). I know a higher MCAT would help but obviously if its not necessary...

Not unless expired or you think you can significantly improve

What do I do if I'm WL'ed at a couple of schools, but I am also accepted into a MMS program that starts at the end of this month?

I need to move, pay tuition, & sign my lease... But I also want to hear back. I'm trying to call all the schools I'm WL'ed at, but no one is picking up their phones!

What do I do if I'm WL'ed at a couple of schools, but I am also accepted into a MMS program that starts at the end of this month?

I need to move, pay tuition, & sign my lease... But I also want to hear back. I'm trying to call all the schools I'm WL'ed at, but no one is picking up their phones!
Tough situation. Probably have to go through with the MMS. If you get called off you may lose out on some $, but if you dont you'll at least be working on the back up plan to improve for the next app cycle

Hang in there guys I was WL at 3 schools and received 2 Acceptances in June...There is still time. My biggest advice is continue to send those updates if you have grade updates. I believe this helped me tremendously. My MCAT also was not the best so I definitely believe grade updates helped me.

Reactions: 11 users
Still waiting...Even my LOR writers are annoyed with the schools I'm waitlisted at. :whistle::diebanana:

Reactions: 5 users
Has there been anymore WL movement recently? Seems like the past two weeks have been pretty quiet.

Has there been anymore WL movement recently? Seems like the past two weeks have been pretty quiet.

I agree, definitely seems to have slowed down, unfortunately. Still waiting on ARCOM :lame:

After nearly 7 months post-interview I got the acceptance video to NSU-KPCOM an hour ago...OMG this feels unreal! First Medical School Acceptance in the US and you best believe I'm taking this opportunity! Just wanted to thank everyone here for your continued support these past few months and wish you all the best for your future endeavors!

Reactions: 13 users
After nearly 7 months post-interview I got the acceptance video to NSU-KPCOM an hour ago...OMG this feels unreal! First Medical School Acceptance in the US and you best believe I'm taking this opportunity! Just wanted to thank everyone here for your continued support these past few months and wish you all the best for your future endeavors!
Congrats!!!

Congratulations! You deserve it!!!!!

So Hyped for u!!!!

496 is quite low - feel lucky you got put on so many waitlists...
Are you URM?

Surprised you didn't get a direct admittance... I'd apply first day next cycle and you should be good
Retake MCAT only if you can improve by multiple points and hit 506+

Surprised you didn't get a direct admittance... I'd apply first day next cycle and you should be good
Retake MCAT only if you can improve by multiple points and hit 506+
Applied pretty late. Yea I know, not smart. I talked to my wl school and they said im still very much in the running (they have a late orientation week). Actual made me feel very optimistic. But just in case i dont, im applying as soon as possible. Not making the same mistake twice lol.

Applied pretty late. Yea I know, not smart. I talked to my wl school and they said im still very much in the running (they have a late orientation week). Actual made me feel very optimistic. But just in case i dont, im applying as soon as possible. Not making the same mistake twice lol.

+1 Me too!

My application was considered late because I had to retake the MCAT in Jan. Most schools did not wait. The schools that waited (I guess because my GPA,s etc were high), all interviewed me and then waitlisted me (Except BCOM, but I wasn't thrilled with them either). I am hopeful a school will offer a seat for Fall 2018.

But just in case, I already got accepted to an MD school master's program for Fall. They already told me I qualify for an interview at their school for 2019 class as long as I excel in the first semester of the masters. That school accepted me within a week after I submitted my application, so I know they like me and I have a good chance. But obviously, it would be ideal to start med school in 2018 rather than 2019.

But yes, I agree, do not apply late again for any reason! ;) It's brutal!

Bummed cuz I signed up for an August MCAT and it's getting closer -- still on WL with no acceptances :rolleyes: Trying to stay hopeful as PCOM is unfortunately famous for super late acceptances but honestly it's the thought of taking this test again that really twists the knife. Rooting for you guys still. Hope you get a late acceptance even if it's the week of orientation :joyful:

Last edited:
I hear you! I’ve signed a lease in a new city for a masters program, retaken the MCAT (cmon 7/17) and gotten all new LORs. I won’t lie, I’m dragging my feet on submitting aacomas because of my two waitlists...

I feel like July is entering the “pray for divine intervention” territory.

Reactions: 3 users
I hear you! I’ve signed a lease in a new city for a masters program, retaken the MCAT (cmon 7/17) and gotten all new LORs. I won’t lie, I’m dragging my feet on submitting aacomas because of my two waitlists...

I mean at least you have two waitlists *shrug* I'm on a wing and a prayer with one! I'm dragging my feet on even working on my AACOMAS primary. I hate the process of filling out all those sections; although AACOMAS is still more user-friendly than AMCAS.

I'm getting one new LOR probably from a place I've been volunteering but other than that I'm dreading having to email my LORs from last cycle to tell them my waitlist woes and ask them to resubmit their letters (next time I'll know to use interfolio). I'm sure they're used to it but I feel like a failure.

I mean at least you have two waitlists *shrug* I'm on a wing and a prayer with one! I'm dragging my feet on even working on my AACOMAS primary. I hate the process of filling out all those sections; although AACOMAS is still more user-friendly than AMCAS.

I'm getting one new LOR probably from a place I've been volunteering but other than that I'm dreading having to email my LORs from last cycle to tell them my waitlist woes and ask them to resubmit their letters (next time I'll know to use interfolio). I'm sure they're used to it but I feel like a failure.

I totally feel your pain, I'm only on one waitlist too! Going crazy with the waiting and trying to find the motivation to start the apps for next cycle.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You are not a failure! A failure is a person who either never tries or tries once and gives up. If you really want to be a doctor (and I think you do because you would not be trying again to get an acceptance) you will fight and push forward until you get an acceptance. And then you will fight and push forward to do well in medical school and residency.

We did not choice an easy career pathway. It's like climbing Mt. Everest!

But yeah, in total agreement with you about the LOR letter writers. It was like pulling teeth to get them to resubmit the LORs. I will also use interfolio next time. LOL :laugh:

My WL school told me if I have to reapply, to have my app in early September. I'm sure this varies a bit school to school but I feel like at least late July is probably still considered early at a lot of DO schools. I will definitely have it in than September tho but if I can save a few hundred dollars by holding out hope. I will. Bc I will definitely need that money if I do get called off.

I would still encourage people to check in with their WL school it may not do much but at least it shows a continued desire to attend. Who knows it could happen. Just like always make sure you are respectful and polite.

I know it's prob hard to do but hope you ladies and gents are enjoying the holiday :D

My WL school told me if I have to reapply, to have my app in early September. I'm sure this varies a bit school to school but I feel like at least late July is probably still considered early at a lot of DO schools. I will definitely have it in than September tho but if I can save a few hundred dollars by holding out hope. I will. Bc I will definitely need that money if I do get called off.

I am on the same waitlist as you, its my only waitlist position, so yea I'm freaking out that I haven't been called yet :/ and super discouraged. Feel like this is a horrible summer bc I can't properly enjoy it (even though I am trying).