DO Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m so happy for all of you who got off the waitlist. I’m waitlisted at NYITCOM-ar and haven’t heard since. I have backup plans (podiatry school) but am starting to realIze I may just get bitter if I don’t get into DO school.
I need encouragement!!!

Send an LOI! I did and got accepted at JB 2 weeks after doing that! You literally have nothing to loose, shoot ya shot! You got this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Send an LOI! I did and got accepted at JB 2 weeks after doing that! You literally have nothing to loose, shoot ya shot! You got this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually did send a letter of intent earlier. It was quite short and got cut midway though. I’ve been sending update emails every two weeks. It seems to me the list is ranked and despite my attempts there is some kind of order they are pulling applicants off, despite them saying they don’t rank their waitlist.

I’m so happy for all of you who got off the waitlist. I’m waitlisted at NYITCOM-ar and haven’t heard since. I have backup plans (podiatry school) but am starting to realIze I may just get bitter if I don’t get into DO school.
I need encouragement!!!
Hang in there. I seriously thought it was over for me this cycle...then the phone rings.

Congrats! I’m curious though, when I applied via accomas, Icom wasn’t on the list?
I know. They started interviewing in dec. I found out about the program through another person. I applied 8 days before the deadline and interviewed for a waitlist position. I had other interviews and were waitlisted there too. My older course work was a big limitation. My application was a hail Mary...

I only applied to two programs out west because I could imagine living there and love all the national parks nearby. So, I was excited to hear about ICOM because I think Boise and the surrounding area is beautiful.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who sent update letters to the schools you're WL at, how often did you send them? And what did you include in them? I'm not doing much else other than taking classes so I don't know if it's a good move to send one or not.

Currently waitlisted at BCOM and ARCOM since January. I think my chances at BCOM are pretty much close to none considering the fact that their WL saw no movement last year. My only hope is ARCOM but I'm not too sure how the process of getting off the waitlist works.

Either way, good luck to all of you!! Hopefully all the stars align and we get good news in these upcoming weeks.
I'll be giving up a BCOM seat soon - just hoping for some AZCOM WL movement

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone hear of WL movement at UNE? Thread has been super quiet..

For those of you who sent update letters to the schools you're WL at, how often did you send them? And what did you include in them? I'm not doing much else other than taking classes so I don't know if it's a good move to send one or not.
Where are you waitlisted at, if you don’t mind me asking?

Anyone experience or heard lately if people have been accepted of the TouroCOM-Harlem waitlist? I was waitlisted there and sent a LOI 2 weeks ago, got an email that they received it, but nothing since.

And anyone out there recently get off the PCOM-PA WL? I interviewed late 3/28 and they had said 4-6 weeks, but its now 8. I'm getting worried if not hearing anything will mean a silent rejection and they are only accepting people off the waitlist?

Gah the wait has driven me crazy, I finally restarted my app for next cycle.... :(

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got off BCOM's waitlist. I guess I'm off to Las Cruces :soexcited:

Reactions: 21 users
Just got accepted at ATSU-SOMA yesterday! Hang in there guys, this past month has been emotionally brutal and I felt your pain. I hope all of you get an acceptance! :)

Reactions: 14 users
If I already wrote a letter of intent after my interview, is it still necessary to write another one if I want to get off of the waitlist? Is that overkill, or is that what they want? I am waitlisted at Nova.

If I already wrote a letter of intent after my interview, is it still necessary to write another one if I want to get off of the waitlist? Is that overkill, or is that what they want? I am waitlisted at Nova.
I’d say just give it a shot. Tbh, I was debating sending another letter of intent because the one I sent was immediately after interviewing and it’s been 2 months since!

i would leave it alone. typically LOI dont mean anything in the first place, writing two would be annoying

i would leave it alone. typically LOI dont mean anything in the first place, writing two would be annoying
So they really don’t carry any weight? What else would you recommend waitlisters to do....

So they really don’t carry any weight? What else would you recommend waitlisters to do....
from what ive read only at a few schools do they mean anything. as goro says its a non binding contract that people send to more than one school so they dont mean much. I personally was still in school when i was waitlisted so i did very well my last two semesters of undergrad 3.95 and 3.75 so i updated them with that, got another LOR, received a research grant, and had an alumni call the school on my behalf and i am significantly tied to one of the schools im waitlisted at so i reiterated my ties to the state......and i still havent been pulled so i wish i had an answer for you but i really am not sure. i dont think there really is anything to do but i wouldnt send them an update if it is not significant, these people are probably so busy they dont need pointless emails

How large are the waitlists at most schools?

I disagree - I went from being at the bottom of my waitlist to getting accepted much sooner than I anticipated and the only explanation is that my LOI made a difference. In terms of writing a second one, maybe @Goro can weigh in?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

When you wrote the LOI, did you have any major changes to your application?

When you wrote the LOI, did you have any major changes to your application?
I told them I had a full scholarship, had signed up for more clinical volunteering, and sent them a new DO letter of rec (applying to DO school).

I also am starting my application for next cycle ☹️ But I’m hoping to actually get accepted into somewhere and not waitlisted this time around! Good luck!

Anyone experience or heard lately if people have been accepted of the TouroCOM-Harlem waitlist? I was waitlisted there and sent a LOI 2 weeks ago, got an email that they received it, but nothing since.

And anyone out there recently get off the PCOM-PA WL? I interviewed late 3/28 and they had said 4-6 weeks, but its now 8. I'm getting worried if not hearing anything will mean a silent rejection and they are only accepting people off the waitlist?

Gah the wait has driven me crazy, I finally restarted my app for next cycle.... :(

I also am starting my application for next cycle ☹️ But I’m hoping to actually get accepted into somewhere and not waitlisted this time around! Good luck!

Best of luck!! I was on 3 waitlists and got accepted into OU-HCOM on Wednesday and WVSOM yesterday. I turned down WVSOM because OU was my top choice, and WVSOM were one day late. However, I did really love the school and felt I would’ve been happy there as well. Hopefully, my spot went to someone else!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an email from NYITCOM asking if I still want to be on waitlist. They will only be seeing movement in August. I feel so discouraged and am restarting my accomas app. Ugh.

Just got an email from NYITCOM asking if I still want to be on waitlist. They will only be seeing movement in August. I feel so discouraged and am restarting my accomas app. Ugh.

If it's the same email I got, I read that as the Fall 2018 class starts in August, not the waitlist movement...

Best of luck!! I was on 3 waitlists and got accepted into OU-HCOM on Wednesday and WVSOM yesterday. I turned down WVSOM because OU was my top choice, and WVSOM were one day late. However, I did really love the school and felt I would’ve been happy there as well. Hopefully, my spot went to someone else!
If the school emails you asking if you still want to stay on the waitlist or have other plans, a bad sign? I received that along with saying hey expect movement in August. Won’t there be random people giving up seats like how it’s happening rn? :/

I told them I had a full scholarship, had signed up for more clinical volunteering, and sent them a new DO letter of rec (applying to DO school).

I feel like LOIs are not a waste of time if one does indeed have major changes in one's application, such as in your case. But if an applicant has nothing worth noting then "maybe" it might be seen as a waste of time. IDK this is just my opinion, but in either case I would still send one just because it may or may not make a difference. One can never know unless one tries.

Reactions: 1 users
Any idea on AT Still SOMA movement? Usually they have accepted all kids off the waitlist in previous years, but they said the list is much longer this year.
last year it was only the accepted but pending list that they went through. Not through the actual waitlist.

last year it was only the accepted but pending list that they went through. Not through the actual waitlist.
I might be wrong, but I'm tracking 2 lists at SOMA: the accepted pending an open seat list (often referred to as the waitlist), and the alternate list.

Why are there two lists?
I belive it's because they have gone through their entire waitlist in past years so they have the alternate list as a back up.

I read a post about a school who called someone on a waitlist to ask them if they had listed/included the school on their FAFSA application. My son had not, so had him include. I believe FAFSA sends your information to the school’s financial aid group, who I would guess in turn then checks on the status of the person, I.e., accepted, on WL etc. i think it shows that you are serious about a school, and having someone pull your file doesn’t hurt. Admission might be prompted to take a quick second look. It could be coincidence, but son was accepted off WL about two weeks after listing the school on his FAFSA. (You can also list multiple schools as well.) It’s something pro active that a Waitlister can do if not done already. Just a thought. Good luck!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I’d rather do an smp with guaranteed acceptance than retake the test
See I thought that too, but if you have a decent gpa (above 3.5) many say potentially not doing well on the SMP can hinder your chances more. I don’t know though, I really wish there was another avenue for us.

The MCAT costs $300, plus time off to study. An smp is tens of thousands of dollars. Just some food for thought.

Reactions: 2 users
The MCAT costs $300, plus time off to study. An smp is tens of thousands of dollars. Just some food for thought.
Exactly. Either way, you’re going to have to take some time off before you jump into med school. I rather do it without being 30-40k in debt.

See I thought that too, but if you have a decent gpa (above 3.5) many say potentially not doing well on the SMP can hinder your chances more. I don’t know though, I really wish there was another avenue for us.

Bigger risk but bigger reward. At the end of the day you’ll be in a huge pile of debt anyway I’d rather ensure I’ll be a doctor with guaranteed acceptance at a school through an smp than retake the mcat and if I do poorly on a retake your chances are hurt pretty bad too and you’ll have to not only retake it a third time but also take more time off. My opinion of course but I’d rather do the smp.

Bigger risk but bigger reward. At the end of the day you’ll be in a huge pile of debt anyway I’d rather ensure I’ll be a doctor with guaranteed acceptance at a school through an smp than retake the mcat and if I do poorly on a retake your chances are hurt pretty bad too and you’ll have to not only retake it a third time but also take more time off. My opinion of course but I’d rather do the smp.
That’s another way to think of it. From what I know though, you still have to retake the MCAT for the SMP and must score above a certain number to be considered seriously. I’m not aware of programs that accept you with a subpar MCAT just because you did an SMP with them. For LMUCOM, you need to retake the MCAT along with doing well in your SMP classes to be considered. Someone correct me if I’m wrong!

That’s another way to think of it. From what I know though, you still have to retake the MCAT for the SMP and must score above a certain number to be considered seriously. I’m not aware of programs that accept you with a subpar MCAT just because you did an SMP with them. For LMUCOM, you need to retake the MCAT along with doing well in your SMP classes to be considered. Someone correct me if I’m wrong!
You don’t need to retake it for vcom or wvsom smp

Currently waitlisted at TUN. Does anyone know of any movement there recently?
Good luck everyone!