DO to Ross/SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not individual effort but if that's what makes you sleep better at night so be it. Good luck in your residency training and on your life's journey.

Peace!

Members don't see this ad.

Quote from Volvulus
"
Hmmm, you say the pass rate for SGU is 91%. Well I have heard that a chunk of students fail out even before they get a chance to take the boards. Second, SGU is one school in the carribean. Last time I checked we were talking about all schools in the carribean. "

I don't think it is fair to lump SGU in with all the other schools in the Caribbean and condemn them. The pass rate for SGU is 91%. The attrition rate is also very low due to the fact that they require a decent GPA and MCAT score. The school is approved for U.S. federal loans and for residencies in all 50 states including New York and California. No one would advise a student to choose SGU over even a lower tier school in the US so comparing their match list to a mid tier school in the US is not really relevant.

But if you are willing to give up your dream of being an opthalmologist, dermatologist, or radiologist and are willing to settle for surgeon, internist, obstetrician, emergency medicine, or family doctor, SGU might give you that opportunity. Both Hopkins and Yale accept SGU grads as residents. If the school is good enough for Hopkins and Yale isn't it good enough for you?

Originally posted by Reality check
It's not individual effort but if that's what makes you sleep better at night so be it.

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen on SDN yet. If it's not individual effort, what is it? Your daddy? Your school? Who you know?

Ken Iserson, MD, who, unlike you, has been a program director, and, unlike you, is a respected name in academic medicine, reasserted the statement that programs would rather have the number one person from a mid-tier school, than the middle person from a top school. If being number one in your class is not individual effort to you, then you may have impossibly high standards (or be a prolifically cynical cheater).

Go ahead now, comment away, and, thanks, but don't worry about my sleep...I work too hard to let anyone's opinion in the REAL world (much less this cyber-pseudo reality) matter to me. But, actually, you did show some restraint, so perhaps you might be becoming more civil.