Do Taiwanese med schools accept oversea students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was born in Taiwan, but immigrated to North American when I completed gr. 3 education. I completed my high school diploma in North America. Right now, I am going into 2nd yr undergraduate study. I am wondering do med schools in Taiwan welcome applicants like my background? If so, how do the application process work? Any important information that I should be aware of?

Thank you for help me out! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

u know that taiwan med school 7 years starts right after high school.
so if you start after your 4 year undergrad in the US, you will be older than most of them by about 4 yrs.

Hello badaboom! Thanks for replying! Does the 7 yrs include residency? If I want to study medicine in Taiwan, I must go back to Taiwan after 2nd yr undergrad. I am just worried that I will have to jump through many loop holes if I wish to get a residency in Canada and practice medicine here right after graduating from Taiwan school.

I see you want to pursue dentistry. Is it true that you can specialize in Dentistry in Taiwan med schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...

I don't know about your Chinese language level.

A friend of mine had similar background like you, and he was accepted to TW medical on the condition that he does one special year to learn Chinese. You know you'll have a take a lot of courses (like social science, ethics) as well as writing National boards in Chinese.

Also because he was male, he would be obligated to do the 1.8 years of military service after graduation.

Then he realized that going back to Canada for residency will be a big problem because he'll never be able to match in first round, and will have to compete like crazy with hundreds of other IMGs for the few second round match (you'll not get any good specialty in 2nd round match).

Finally, he doesn't speak or understand Taiwanese at all, and being able to speak fluent Taiwanese is an unofficial requirement in Taiwan for him to succeed in the clinical years, getting a good residency, and eventually getting a hospital placement.

Getting into med schools in Canada is not easy, but you'll have to understand the consequences of choosing on TW medical schools.

Best of luck!

I believe this is how a 7-year med program breaks down:

Year 1,2: premed stuff (cell bio, orgo, biochem ...)
Year 3,4: med basic science like it is in North America
Year 5,6: clinical rotation and electives
Year 7: rotating internship (which, btw, does not exist in Canada; Canadian med students go straight to residency)