Chinese or Taiwanese students in Philippines??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mei38Mei

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any Chinese or Taiwanese medical students in the Phillippines?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on your definition of chinese. There are lots of students of chinese heritage in the philippines but most medical chinese students i know grew up here. Few Taiwanese students but likewise, they have been living here for quite some time.

i have a classmate who is taiwanese =)
i am from taiwan, but i've been here in the philippines since high school. so it's probably a different story. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you or your friend feel about studying in phil? are there a lot of taiwanese studying in phil?

for my classmate, he can speak a bit of english, but since it's not his first language, but he had a hard time. he's pure taiwanese, so his english isn't so good. but he seems to be doing alright. he just needs to put in more effort compared to the rest of us.

my first language was english, so it didn't really make much of a difference for me. other than the culture shock in high school and the language barrier. but i've learned the language/dialect and it's alright for me by now. =)

if you plan to study in the philippines it helps to develop a good friendship with your classmates. They will probably be your only way to get around medical school at the start. Abrupt announcements regarding exams or lectures may be sometimes be stated in the local language(as they are abrups and informally announced), and being new to the country you might miss it out. :(

yep, that's true sometimes. actually most of the time, the exam announcements, lectures and everything are officially announced. the occasional postponed lectures and (rarely) exams usually arrive when you're already there. i have classmates from foreign countries, but they seem to be doing alright =) then again, that's the culture in my school =) i'm not sure about the other schools though

It's acutally a bit exciting to think about attending schools in a foreign country...and a bit scary as well....:confused:

How would you say the quality of school environment compare to Taiwan? I mean things like school facility (class room, equipment...), housing....

How do you guys cope with housing and transportation?

the living conditions are great, depends on the apartment or dormitory you plan to live in though. my family moved here, so i have to commute every day, but i'm planning to dorm by my 3rd year because of junior clerkship.

as for the facilities... it depends on the school. i go to CIM, which doesn't have the best facilities (seriously), that's the main complaint from most people. but personally, if the school can produce good students, it doesn't really matter. (top 2 school in the board exam is pretty good to me) i'm not that familiar with the facilities of other schools since i already knew i would be studying in CIM when i started college.

the best advice i could offer would be to look around the schools personally. Housing is not usually a problem. But you must also realize that the philippines is a third world country and a congested one at that. The environment may be totally different from what you would expect from an american university. The pollution, shabby neighborhoods, poor hospital facilities might set you off. The philippines is a tropical country but its no carribean islands. Tourist areas are in tourist areas, cities are polluted cities. You don't find medical schools in tropical paradise, and hospitals are sometimes congested to capacity. Im not trying to put you off to study in the PI but just a few realization you might want to make before embarking right away to study here. Its a good place to study, probably better than most carribean schools but visit the country first. Have a look around and enjoy :)

Has anyone heard of Emilio Aguinaldo College? What do you guys think of it? Is anyone currently attending this school?

not much information on that school. sorry :)

Has anyone heard of Emilio Aguinaldo College? What do you guys think of it? Is anyone currently attending this school?

Hi,

I don't know much about this particular school. I went to medical school at Fatima Medical Science Foundation in Valenzuela city. Although, I am not tiawanese, my school had at least 50 tiawanese medical students, not to mention koreans, japanese, australians etc. and other fields like dentisry and nursing. If you are interested in the medical fields then I would seriously look into Fatima. The building I lived in for several years was owned by a tiawanese businessman and most of the residents there were tiawanese and foriegners. When I was leaving the philippines for the states for residency he had completed another 7 to 8 story building with about 8 units per floor and all were already sold.

Hey sorry...i was looking at another forum to ask a question. But i know of one taiwanese student in UST MED. She's my classmate. She does really well in school here. But that's the only one i know of.