How accepting is the Taiwanese medical association towards residencies completed in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuldin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year student studying medicine in Taiwan, having come here after spending basically my entire life in the US. I've heard extensively that the US does not accept residencies done in other countries (this is definitely the case for Taiwan), and require you to complete a US residency before you can be a full attending.

However, I was wondering the opposite. If I complete my degree in Taiwan, take the required USMLE exams, and finish my residency/fellowship in the United States, can I come back to Taiwan to be an attending right off the bat? Are there any other requirements needed?

A simpler question would be: Those who were educated in the United States and finished residency, what did you have to do to practice in Taiwan?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should ask your friends and teachers in your school. Very few of us will be able to help you here.

Good question I would like to hear of any experiences too.

Reactions: 1 user