This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

610doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Looking for some advice here as to if I should choose my state DO school (Rowan, which I love) or an out of state MD school I was recently admitted to (Drexel). I really want to pursue pediatrics, and do not see a problem with landing a residency at either school. I also really like both schools, and could see myself at both. I was just wondering if it would be unwise to choose a DO school over an MD school, especially with the upcoming merger. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hola. I think Rowan is a great DO school but as most people are gonna say just go with the Md school u never know if you are going to change ur mind and that Md degree will keep all ur doors open

Reactions: 1 user
1. Please change the title to include both school names.
2. Take the MD and run, you dont know , you might fall in love with some esoteric specialty that only MD would be able to give you a good shot at.
3.Dont buy into the hype, the bias against DO's for specialties will remain.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree, go to Drexel.. even if you are 100% set on peds, it will keep more options open... maybe you want to do a fellowship after peds, MD > DO again unfortunately

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice! any input on how merger will affect matching for dos? Ive heard mixed things

thanks for the advice! any input on how merger will affect matching for dos? Ive heard mixed things

I don't really think there will be much of a advantage/disadvantage for peds.. my concern would be at fellowships and other opportunities, which will still be better as an MD

Why would you even want to be at the mercy of some unknown outcome. DOs will not receive preferential treatment post merger. The best outcome they can hope for is parity with MD for residencies. This parity will either A. Take a long time or B . Not happen .

There is a high probability that the MD school will not keep you out of the residency of your choice provided your application is competitive. There is a non zero probability that the do school will keep you out of some residencies post merger, even with a competitive application.

There are also other considerations as a DO
1. Taking multiple board exams , comlex ,usmle .
2. OMM non sense.
3.poorer quality rotations in general for DO schools.
4. Lack of research opportunities .
5.lack of Connections that faculty might have with competitive PDs.

It is a no brainer imho.

Reactions: 1 users
Why would you even want to be at the mercy of some unknown outcome. DOs will not receive preferential treatment post merger. The best outcome they can hope for is parity with MD for residencies. This parity will either A. Take a long time or B . Not happen .

There is a high probability that the MD school will not keep you out of the residency of your choice provided your application is competitive. There is a non zero probability that the do school will keep you out of some residencies post merger, even with a competitive application.

There are also other considerations as a DO
1. Taking multiple board exams , comlex ,usmle .
2. OMM non sense.
3.poorer quality rotations in general for DO schools.
4. Lack of research opportunities .
5.lack of Connections that faculty might have with competitive PDs.

It is a no brainer imho.
lol guessing it is safe to say you are not a fan of DO schools? haha

OP, MD. The answer is almost always MD in these type of questions

lol guessing it is safe to say you are not a fan of DO schools? haha

OP, MD. The answer is almost always MD in these type of questions
On the contrary I appreciate DO schools. I applied and was accepted to some as well. But the PD survey really opened my eyes regarding the bias that exists against them. Plus I am yet to see any strong scientific evidence supporting the use of OMM. But OP should know that OP is closing some doors by choosing DO.

On the contrary I appreciate DO schools. I applied and was accepted to some as well. But the PD survey really opened my eyes regarding the bias that exists against them. Plus I am yet to see any strong scientific evidence supporting the use of OMM. But OP should know that OP is closing some doors by choosing DO.
Did you see the PD survey before or after you applied?

Did you see the PD survey before or after you applied?
After. But being a physician is still greater than not being one. There are some specialties where being a US-IMG is better than being a DO. Crazy.

After. But being a physician is still greater than not being one. There are some specialties where being a US-IMG is better than being a DO. Crazy.

Indeed. Bunch of my friends went to SGU/Ross, although it worked out well for them. They preferred that to having the initials DO

maybe you want to do a fellowship after peds, MD > DO again unfortunately

my concern would be at fellowships

For peds it doesn't matter, even for fellowships. Lots of DOs get the fellowships they want after peds.

There are some specialties where being a US-IMG is better than being a DO.

Not really, this is very misleading because it is only for previous ACGME programs. It does not include the AOA programs. If you look over a number of years worth of match lists from SGU compared to like LMU-DCOM (commonly considered a "low tier" DO school on SDN) you can see that the percentage of grads specializing in competitive things like surgery is actually greater at the rural DO school. I would never go to the Carib. It is also confounded by the fact that a lot of these programs have never seen or have only seen a handful of DOs apply to their program over a large number of years but these same programs see IMGs every year, it could also be an issue of familiarity.

Edit: totally forgot to given op advice, OP go to Drexel. I know it's OOS but I think is literally like 30 minutes from Rowan.... The MD will open more doors down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
For peds it doesn't matter, even for fellowships. Lots of DOs get the fellowships t

Not really, this is very misleading because it is only for previous ACGME programs. It does not include the AOA programs. If you look over a number of years worth of match lists from SGU compared to like LMU-DCOM (commonly considered a "low tier" DO school on SDN) you can see that the percentage of grads specializing in competitive things like surgery is actually greater at the rural DO school. I would never go to the Carib. It is also confounded by the fact that a lot of these programs have never seen or have only seen a handful of DOs apply to their program over a large number of years but these same programs see IMGs every year, it could also be an issue of familiarity.

The cause really doesn't matter, they interview and rank us imgs more often compared to DOs. AOA has like ~12 slots for vascular surgery vs 120 for acgme. I am not suggesting going to the carribean is a good option. I am just saying that MD vs DO is a non brainer.

AOA has like ~12 slots for vascular surgery vs 120 for acgme

How many IMGs matched last year? None. Not a single one. There were 2 DOs that matched. Look at ortho, only 6 IMGs matched ortho, 4 DOs did in the ACGME match. On top of that there are a lot more AOA spots in ortho. 3 IMGS matched ENT. 1 DO in addition to the AOA ENT matches. I disagree with your statement that you are better off as an IMG than a DO in ANY specialty. Even with the merger your chances will be better as a DO for something competitive than as a US-IMG.

The cause really doesn't matter, they interview and rank us imgs more often compared to DOs.

It does matter. So few DOs even apply to these competitive specialties in the (former) ACGME match that the NRMP didn't even think there were enough to make them a category in the DO charting report. These programs very rarely interview and rank DOs because there are so exceptionally few to interview or rank. I would check the same box if I were a PD and I had only ever seen like 5 DOs apply over a large number of years.

I am just saying that MD vs DO is a non brainer.
I agree 500%. That is why OP should choose Drexel 10 times out of 10. Rowan is a good DO school, great even, but the doors the MD will open are very real.

reaffirming what others said OP but here is a quote from a Program Director regarding DO's

"We do interview a few every year (< 3), but we believe there is a penalty for our program in future applicants if we have a number of DO residents, mainly because there is the perception that we couldn’t attract the best MD candidates. It’s unfortunate for some DO students who are going to be great, but it is reality."

MD
MMMMMMMDDDDDD
MD
MD
Going DO would be completely stupid if you at all value your future residency options.

Even more so seeing as Drexel is right down the road.

reaffirming what others said OP but here is a quote from a Program Director regarding DO's

"We do interview a few every year (< 3), but we believe there is a penalty for our program in future applicants if we have a number of DO residents, mainly because there is the perception that we couldn’t attract the best MD candidates. It’s unfortunate for some DO students who are going to be great, but it is reality."

This is what bugs me about the bias. If you want to point to iffy clinical training then go ahead, if you question research experience go ahead, but the reality is that the bias exists simply because the letters are different, and that is stupid. Unfortunately it really is the reality.

I may be biased, BUT....
Drexel.

If you're interested in Peds, especially. Access to St. Chris just provides so many opportunities to learn more about the specialty.

RowanSOM is not far, either.

EDIT: message me if you have questions about DUCOM. I have a great friend at RowanSOM as well. Small world lol

Thank you. This was the final DO vs MD thread I needed to see to decide to block SDN until it becomes useful again when I'm an M1.

Wow thank you so much everyone. I am leading towards choosing Drexel. I appreciate all of the insight.

And it's an 80K difference total. I am going to go to both accepted students days and see which I feel better at, but am currently leaning towards Drexel.

on the topic of fellowships, does anyone know how difficult it is to get a fellowship in developmental behavioral peds? ie is it DO-friendly? thanks in advance

This is 16 days old now; but I'd have to wonder, since St Christopher's Hospital for Children is a part of Drexel system, you may get more in your pediatric clerkships and then there are also elective rotations at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Something to consider, but not a huge deal given residency/fellowship demands either way.

This is 16 days old now; but I'd have to wonder, since St Christopher's Hospital for Children is a part of Drexel system, you may get more in your pediatric clerkships and then there are also elective rotations at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Something to consider, but not a huge deal given residency/fellowship demands either way.
Thank you! I will definitely look into it. Still considering both. I appreciate the advice! I want to stay in the South Jersey/Philly area, and both schools seem to match well in the area for peds.

So many applicants are crossing their fingers that they get into an MD school with a DO acceptance in hand. Go to Drexel and never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile