NSU MD vs Rowan DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danny2000

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was accepted into Rowan DO program and the Nova Southeastern University MD program. I've spoken to multiple people from both schools and am very confused as to which school I should choose. For reference, I have no idea what I wanna specialize in.

Rowan Pros:
1. In state tuition ~ around 60-70k/year accounting for living, tuition, and other fees
2. Well established and has a lot of connections (this year's class matched at Mt. Sinai, Dartmouth, Brown, Georgetown, RWJMS, NY Presbyterian, Copper, etc)
3. 100% match rate with a lot of competitive fields including (7) anesthesiology, (1) derm, (2) ophtho, (1) orthopedic surgery, (1) urology, and more
4. Close to home so I have the support from family and friends
5. Classes are recorded and are not mandatory
6. Most residencies match in the northeast which is where I want to remain long term

Rowan Cons:
1. It is a DO school - have to take 2x the exams and not sure if this could hinder me in the future if I want to specialize
2. I have spent all of my life in NJ and am not sure if I want to spend the next 4 here as well
3. 3x bigger class size (around 150-180 people)

NSU MD Pros:
1. Nice weather
2. It is an MD school which could open up more opportunities for me in the long run
3. Only has 50 kids in the class so individualized attention
4. Exams are NBME style
5. This year's match list included (2) anesthesiology, (1) derm, (1) orthopedic surgery, (2) ophtho, and other great areas

NSU Cons:
1. Out of state tuition ~ 100k/year
2. Is very new and not very established yet, and only has 2 graduated classes so far (both classes did have a 100% rate however)
3. Very far from family and friends support
4. Classes are mandatory and you have to wear business professional
5. Most residencies match in Florida or near that area which is not where I want to be long run
6. Never been out of NJ before

I was really set on Rowan but now that I have an MD acceptance I am not sure what I should do. From what I have seen on these threads, people always say MD>DO but does that still apply in the case where is school is fairly new and Rowan is such an established school? Would love some help on this, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

mmm, i'd go with the cheapest (Rowan) regardless of the letters. that's just me

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
No doubt 100% choose NSU MD over Rowan DO any day.

Currently as of now, always choose MD over DO due to you being able to match into hyper-competitive specialties much easier, and not having the "OMM tax" (COMLEX, OPP, etc.). Much easier to only have to take the USMLE over both exams.

Also possible to match back into whatever region you want or after residency, work there.