#DO #MD #MATCH Residency Merger 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobe99

Reaction score
How would the 2020 merger change the chances of matching for DOs and IMGs ?

Members don't see this ad.

If anything, I think the DO students are now put at a serious disadvantage because now the programs which were DO-only are now open to everyone.
IMG's will remain IMGs but the outstanding candidates among them have an extra 3000 + more programs to apply to.
I think the "weaker" DO students will have harder timer to match.

I might be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
If anything, I think the DO students are now put at a serious disadvantage because now the programs which were DO-only are now open to everyone.
IMG's will remain IMGs but the outstanding candidates among them have and extra 3000 + more programs to apply to.

I might be wrong.

Almost 3000 spots, <1000 programs.

Reactions: 1 user
IMG's will remain IMGs but the outstanding candidates among them have and extra 3000 + more programs to apply to.

I might be wrong.

I am looking forward to see next year's match outcome

I might be wrong.
Maybe. Maybe not.

DOs had to choose whether to apply to one match or both matches, so a LOT of applicants forewent the AOA match anyway. Now at least they can apply to both in a unified list. And the previously DO only programs will probably have a fair bit of a DO bias. We'll see.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe. Maybe not.

DOs had to choose whether to apply to one match or both matches, so a LOT of applicants forewent the AOA match anyway. Now at least they can apply to both in a unified list. And the previously DO only programs will probably have a fair bit of a DO bias. We'll see.
They can have bias but before the chance of an MD matching to AOA derm, radiology, orthopedics, and urology was zero percent. Now it's some nonzero number. Can't be good for DOs going for competitive specialties.

Reactions: 1 users