Do I need my bachelors if I want to do a dual degree of PharmD and PhD at UMD School of Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello9753

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to see if a bachelors is a requirement for applying to a PharmD and PhD dual degree at UMD's School of Pharmacy, but it only mentions that the we have to finish the pre req course for the Pharmd. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the need of a bachelor's degree before applying to a PhD dual degree program. This will help me make the decision on whether or not I should apply this year or wait till I graduate in a 1 and a half.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Moving this to the School Specific Discussions.

As for questions in regards to dual degree enrollments, if the site does not specify, it warrants a cold-call / email to the admissions committee or who simply overlooks the PhD program itself (not pharmD). With that approach many require a bachelors but I digress.

Reactions: 1 user
Moving this to the School Specific Discussions.

As for questions in regards to dual degree enrollments, if the site does not specify, it warrants a cold-call / email to the admissions committee or who simply overlooks the PhD program itself (not pharmD). With that approach many require a bachelors but I digress.

Would it be a bad idea to ask about it if I get an acceptance and try for a deferral from there assuming the bachelors is necessary?
Do you know if the situation regarding obtaining a bachelors to enter the Phd/PharmD for other schools are the same?

Last edited:
Would it be a bad idea to ask about it if I get an acceptance and try for a deferral from there assuming the bachelors is necessary?

No but keep in mind you may not get accepted in the dual program if you defer a PharmD acceptance. It's either you want the pharmD or not. If you want the dual PhD/PharmD get a bachelors so as to pick from a variety of programs.

Do you know if the situation regarding obtaining a bachelors to enter the Phd/PharmD for other schools are the same?

Many others require a bachelors. My program currently has a dual PharmD / MS in pharmaceutical sciences and they require a bachelors.