Do I have any shot at matching with a step 1 score of 205?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keek121

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Attend top 30 US med school
-Not AOA
-No publications
-Solid extracurriculars and one poster presentation
-205 on step 1
-Want to stay in Mid-Atlantic and NE region of US

I'm already studying my ass off for step 2, w/ a solid step 2 score (>250), do I have a shot at a decent program?

Should I put more effort into a fam med or psych residency? (child psych is a close second for me)

Members don't see this ad.

-Attend top 30 US med school
-Not AOA
-No publications
-Solid extracurriculars and one poster presentation
-205 on step 1
-Want to stay in Mid-Atlantic and NE region of US

I'm already studying my ass off for step 2, w/ a solid step 2 score (>250), do I have a shot at a decent program?

Should I put more effort into a fam med or psych residency? (child psych is a close second for me)

My USMLE score is within a few points of yours, and I've recieved a handful of interviews, and I'm a DO student. I'd say you have an excellent chance. In fact, NRMP match data specific to US Allopathic Seniors says you have a 90% chance of matching with a 200.

My USMLE score is within a few points of yours, and I've recieved a handful of interviews, and I'm a DO student. I'd say you have an excellent chance. In fact, NRMP match data specific to US Allopathic Seniors says you have a 90% chance of matching with a 200.
awesome, thank you. what region of the country are applying to? my geographic restriction is what concerns me...

Members don't see this ad :)
awesome, thank you. what region of the country are applying to? my geographic restriction is what concerns me...
I applied all over. So you might need to broaden your geographic preferences a bit, as northeast and Atlantic coast are more competitive, but even then I think you'll be fine.

You'll match with peds. I personally know of people who failed step 1 and still matched at decent programs. Top programs may filter you out but you can definitely match at a 2nd or 3rd tier

You'll match with peds. I personally know of people who failed step 1 and still matched at decent programs. Top programs may filter you out but you can definitely match at a 2nd or 3rd tier

How did you determine which programs fall into which tier? I mean the top 20 or so are pretty easy to weed out, but beyond that I have no idea how to rank them. Any tips?

Charting the outcomes: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf

Applicants with a low 200s Step 1 have a roughly 90% chance of matching (page 158).
With a step score between 201 and 210, 180 people matched and 8 people didn't match (page 157).
Applicants who ranked at least 5 programs had at least a 90% chance of matching. Those who ranked at least 10 had near-100% chance of matching.

Do well on CK, pass CS, get good letters from your peds sub-I, apply broadly, and you have a very good shot at matching.

Honestly, this is crazy, people quoting the charting the outcomes page and saying you have a 90% chance.

If you come from a top 30 US MD school with a step 1 205, with good letters of rec, you will land a GOOD peds residency in NE or the mid-atlantic areas AND you will have your pick of programs. WORK your ass off to get honors during your peds clerkship and/or sub-I and you will be set. The 205 will only be a problem for the top programs, ala BCH, columbia, CHOP.

You will match but I would apply broadly, at least 20 programs. Try as hard as you can to do well on Step 2 CK, do well on your rotations and have good letters. Pediatrics has become more competitive over the last 2-3 years. I attended residency at a medium sized program with a solid but not flashy reputation. It used to take a few DO and Caribbean grads each year and the average Step 1 score in my class was probably around a 218 or so. Since then, the program has only matched US allopathic grads and the average Step 1 score has risen to the low 230s. Now the Step 1 score is not the end all be all but I think you should keep this trend in mind. Now, don't let your score get you down but definitely use it to motivate you to do well on other factors. Best of luck.

Honestly, this is crazy, people quoting the charting the outcomes page and saying you have a 90% chance.

If you come from a top 30 US MD school with a step 1 205, with good letters of rec, you will land a GOOD peds residency in NE or the mid-atlantic areas AND you will have your pick of programs. WORK your ass off to get honors during your peds clerkship and/or sub-I and you will be set. The 205 will only be a problem for the top programs, ala BCH, columbia, CHOP.

Not so sure about this...

My intent was to say that, in my opinion, extrapolating the charting the outcomes data to estimate an individual's chance of matching is misleading, because it includes such a heterogeneous group of applicants and is likely a very inaccurate estimate for the OP.

Being a peds resident myself and speaking with peers at my program and other peds programs, I've heard from residents with similar step 1 scores who matched very well. Pediatrics is simply NOT competitive outside of the top programs. If you are from reputable medical school, have a poor step 1 score, but otherwise are a well rounded applicant, and project to become a strong resident, you will have your pick of good programs.

If someone has a different experience please let us know. I am no program director who knows all the secrets!

Last edited:
You will match but I would apply broadly, at least 20 programs. Try as hard as you can to do well on Step 2 CK, do well on your rotations and have good letters. Pediatrics has become more competitive over the last 2-3 years. I attended residency at a medium sized program with a solid but not flashy reputation. It used to take a few DO and Caribbean grads each year and the average Step 1 score in my class was probably around a 218 or so. Since then, the program has only matched US allopathic grads and the average Step 1 score has risen to the low 230s. Now the Step 1 score is not the end all be all but I think you should keep this trend in mind. Now, don't let your score get you down but definitely use it to motivate you to do well on other factors. Best of luck.

I am surprised that you know your own program's step 1 average. Since programs averages are generally not advertised in pediatrics, and thus it's not a competitive metric among programs, I don't see why a program would care it.

I am surprised that you know your own program's step 1 average. Since programs averages are generally not advertised in pediatrics, and thus it's not a competitive metric among programs, I don't see why a program would care it.

Well they would know the average last year for someone who matched in peds is 226 thus making a 205 quite low. In fact that is the average for unmatched applicants.

My program would email out the average for the class when the newly matched residents were announced. I would argue that the step 1 score is given significant weight, especially since it's the one factor that is seen to correlate with board pass rates and programs can lose accreditation if too many people fail the boards. If my program did take an applicant with a lower board score in the 200-210 range, they generally had to have good LORs, did well on rotations to suggest that they would be a good resident.

My program would email out the average for the class when the newly matched residents were announced. I would argue that the step 1 score is given significant weight, especially since it's the one factor that is seen to correlate with board pass rates and programs can lose accreditation if too many people fail the boards. If my program did take an applicant with a lower board score in the 200-210 range, they generally had to have good LORs, did well on rotations to suggest that they would be a good resident.

A fellowship director, at an extremely competitive program, stated to me exactly one of your points, in that they use step scores as a proxy to judge ability to successfully pass peds boards, which is very important to them.

I think the posts made by the above two posters are helpful, but I still stand by my overall point.

I was told that being from a good school might help. But it seems like there is no substitute for a good board score these days. I think OP should use FM as a back up plan because the match is getting crazier by the year...

I know students in my class with 220+ in step 1 who plan to apply to 50+ FM programs. I myself plan to apply to 75+ IM program with a 215-220 step1 score. You can't blame people these days because adding another 20-40 programs to one's list is a smaller price to pay than going unmatched. Also, attending a low tier US MD school does not help in that process...

Last edited:
I was told that being from a good school might help. But it seems like there is no substitute for a good board score these days. I think OP should use FM as a back up plan because the match is getting crazier by the year...

I know students in my class with 220+ in step 1 who plan to apply to 50+ FM programs. I myself plan to apply to 75+ IM program with a 215-220 step1 score. You can blame people these days because adding another 20-40 programs to one's list is a smaller price to pay than going unmatched. Also, attending a low tier US MD school does not help in that process...

Except that when everyone applies to 20-40 extra programs, everyone ends up with fewer interviews and thus a higher chance of going unmatched. The top applicants are fine, but they get freaked out too.

Reactions: 1 user

I know students in my class with 220+ in step 1 who plan to apply to 50+ FM programs. I myself plan to apply to 75+ IM program with a 215-220 step1 score. You can blame people these days because adding another 20-40 programs to one's list is a smaller price to pay than going unmatched. Also, attending a low tier US MD school does not help in that process...
Honestly, I think OP using FM as a backup is a little overkill. Even if she/he doesn't match there is still the scramble. Multiple students from my school have matched peds the last couple years with stats similar to OP. Fwiw, I'm a DO student.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a score of below 210 with good recs but no pubs or crazy extracurriculars (busy mom) and matched a top 5-10 program. I never felt in danger of not matching somewhere. I do not think there is any reason to worry.

Reactions: 1 users