Chances at matching into Peds given multiple red flags

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedo

Reaction score
Hi future colleagues (hopefully).
I am a 3rd yr DO student who has had a terrible experience with medical school thus far. Ive been pretty dead set on doing peds but now worry that my chances are slipping through my fingers, if not already gone. What are the chances for a student with 1 preclinical repeat year (left middle of 1st semester of medschool, if that even matters) and a COMLEX level 1 failure to match into peds? I am scheduled to take both COMLEX 1 and Step1 in 1 month. Id like to stay in my homestate CA (or anywhere in the west/mt states) and would prefer to train at an academic institution as I plan to become a neonatologist. I understand its going to be tough battle up ahead, but what are some other things I can do in the year I have left to improve my chances at a match?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
And don't limit yourself geographically if you can avoid it. California is a desired place, so you'll be competing against a lot of good candidates even for lower level programs.

Also, don't be afraid of community programs. I came out of a hybrid community/academic institution (where next to no one did research, and the only fellowships were Child Abuse Peds and EM) and we placed several people in neo each year because we had a very clinically strong NICU and step-down NICU and did a lot of baby time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And don't limit yourself geographically if you can avoid it. California is a desired place, so you'll be competing against a lot of good candidates even for lower level programs.

Also, don't be afraid of community programs. I came out of a hybrid community/academic institution (where next to no one did research, and the only fellowships were Child Abuse Peds and EM) and we placed several people in neo each year because we had a very clinically strong NICU and step-down NICU and did a lot of baby time.
Is there any way to tell from the program website which programs are particularly strong with NICU? I’ve been essentially assessing this based on the curriculum schedule and number of blocks dedicated to NICU. Are there any other sources you could point me to?

Is there any way to tell from the program website which programs are particularly strong with NICU? I’ve been essentially assessing this based on the curriculum schedule and number of blocks dedicated to NICU. Are there any other sources you could point me to?
Look at the hospitals and see what services they offer at their NICU. Which levels they have. If you want to go into NICU, then you want a residency that has at least a level 3 NICU so you can get some sense of what you're getting into. But, others who are in NICU may be able to give more specific answers as to what residency characteristics lead to good neos.

Reactions: 1 users
There really isn't except by talking to the residents. Some small programs may have a very good resident NICU experience and some larger ones may not. But really, you shouldn't be focused on that right now. Focus on doing the best you can to be successful in med school and ultimately doing well on your clinical rotations, etc. Any pedi program can get you into neonatology.

Reactions: 1 users