do i have a chance??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zaqmlp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Do I have a chance of getting into any US medical school with these stats?? I have an overall GPA of 3.3 and a science/bcp gpa of 3.2. I have not taken the MCAT's yet.

Members don't see this ad.

It's impossible to say, especially since you haven't taken the mcat. I would say don't sit for the exam unless you are very ready for it, like 30+ on the practice exams. Your gpa is pretty low, but not anything that can't be overcome by a post-bac, a great mcat score, or an smp program.

Make sure your ec's and lors are very strong, write a good ps, apply broadly and extremely early, and I think you'll have a shot.

zaqmlp said:
Hi! Do I have a chance of getting into any US medical school with these stats?? I have an overall GPA of 3.3 and a science/bcp gpa of 3.2. I have not taken the MCAT's yet.

Depending on EC's and if you can score a ~34 on MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need a 34.

If you get a 30, or even a 29 you have a chance. Most cut offs for applications to get read (so I've been told) are 3.0Sci which is usually lower than non-science.

The rest is up to you....

PhDtoDO

zaqmlp said:

Hi,

You have a shot! I know of someone with a a lower GPA who did a post-bac program and rocked the MCATs! He got in to a state school and is doing fine. I would shoot for a 30 or above on the MCATs though. Unfortunately, MD schools number crunch and if you don't make the cutoff number you won't get an interview. I don't know much about DO school. I wish you the best! Also, remember to do original and extensive ECs to make you stand out as an applicant. Schools do look at ECs but I would first focus on rocking the MCAT and everything else should fall into place!

dulce

I say you should apply to some of these schools and you will most likely have a good score if you get a 27 on the MCAT:

Meharry Medical School
Medical College of Georgia
and
Des Moines Medical School

hellodoc said:
I say you should apply to some of these schools and you will most likely have a good score if you get a 27 on the MCAT:

Meharry Medical School
Medical College of Georgia
and
Des Moines Medical School

Only apply to meharry if you are african american otherwise you are competing for like 10 slots. When I went for an interview there, it was quite clear that they had many applicants to chose from to fill those 10 slots.
(The school showed us a diversity breakdown of their college during the interview).

ok i have a question. i'm going to be finishing my last two quarters soon, but my GPA isn't so stellar. actually. it sucks. 2.6 cum and 2.66 math/sci. i do have an MCAT score of 39 (13P/13B/13V). i guess my mcat could compensate somewhat for my GPA, but if i also have a good explanation for my low gpa, will i have a chance to get into at least one school? i guess i would rather take the post-bacc route if i have little to no chance of acceptance. thanks all.

FutureDoc84 said:
Wow. That is an ENORMOUS gap. Did you just do a complete 180 from undergrad with your study habits for the MCAT?

Yeah that's pretty crazy. I would say you'll need to get your GPA up to a 3.0...but you never know, especially if you have a very upward trend in your grades. I would say your best bet is a post bacc, as an SMP won't help your undergrad GPA at all. Retaking the classes you did poorly on and/or taking some upper div classes will help more. If you can get a 39 you can probably go back and add a bunch of 4.0's to your transcript....ideally getting it up to a 3.0.