Chance for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisPBacon7

Reaction score
Hello, I had a question regarding my chances for MD applications. I applied exclusively to DO schools last cycle and got waitlisted at 2 programs (PNWU and NoordaCOM), but that cycle has now ended. I decided to enroll in the PNWU MAMS program this year, while also reapplying for this current cycle. In the hypothetical that I do well this year (but notably this first semester where I can submit first semester grades), and considering my stats listed below, would I have any chance at any MD programs? I am already applying for DO programs again. Thanks!

MCAT: 502 (126/124/127/125)
cGPA ~3.2, sGPA ~3.1 for DO. BCPM GPA -2.86 for MD, my undergrad degree was Kinesiology (many of these classes not fitting the BCPM qualification)
Exp: - Over 4,500 hours clinical experience (working ER and outpatient)
- Non-clinical volunteer: 100 hours (inpatient physical therapy volunteer + soccer coach)
- Shadowing: 40hrs with doctors, 440 hours with physical therapists (initially was shooting for physical therapy, guess that makes me non-trad?)
- Played some college soccer, and also URM (Hispanic), speak fluent Spanish
- I live in Washington State
- Big upward trend during senior year, downward trend for postbac

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly my guess is not much. Washington while having two MD programs is a relatively competitive state. The major hurdle for MD programs will be your sub 3.0 sGPA. I think your best chance is at WSU where the GPA range for the class of 2024 extended down into the 2.X but typically those are folks who also have stronger mcat scores. Out of curiosity, why did you pursue a masters program instead of a postbac to raise your sGPA?

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly my guess is not much. Washington while having two MD programs is a relatively competitive state. The major hurdle for MD programs will be your sub 3.0 sGPA. I think your best chance is at WSU where the GPA range for the class of 2024 extended down into the 2.X but typically those are folks who also have stronger mcat scores. Out of curiosity, why did you pursue a masters program instead of a postbac to raise your sGPA?
The PNWU Master’s program allows you to take a class alongside the DO students (SciFom), and getting above an 80% guarantees an interview. If I was accepted into the school for the current cycle, I would not have to retake the SciFom class during my OMS 1 year, which would make my first semester 10 credits lighter. With those things in mind, and hearing good things about the program, it seemed like the correct decision to make. I appreciate your honesty about my chances for MD, I figured my chances wouldn’t be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
The PNWU Master’s program allows you to take a class alongside the DO students (SciFom), and getting above an 80% guarantees an interview. If I was accepted into the school for the current cycle, I would not have to retake the SciFom class during my OMS 1 year, which would make my first semester 10 credits lighter. With those things in mind, and hearing good things about the program, it seemed like the correct decision to make. I appreciate your honesty about my chances for MD, I figured my chances wouldn’t be great.
Got it, that makes sense. Hopefully it will work out with your current program. If it doesn’t, I would recommend more undergraduate classes to address your sGPA and retaking the MCAT. This would require a gap year but applying 3x in a row really isn’t feasible either as there just wouldn’t be much difference in between each year. Best of luck to you.

Your application isn't any better than it was last cycle. So...no...highly unlikely to get an MD spot.

Your best and probably only chance at MD would be to attend an SMP with a linkage to the medical school.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Applying now to MD would not yield anything different results from the last cycle and even if you got a 4.0 and submitted in January that would be too late of an application to get any MD results. You could finish the SMP and reapply next year but honestly, your best chance at becoming a DR is PNWU. Just know SMP are a high-risk high reward, if you don't do great in classes you will have slim to no chance elsewhere.

I suggest adding more DO schools to your application with your stats and consider these:
ACOM
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
UIWSOM
ARCOM
BCOM

Hello, I had a question regarding my chances for MD applications. I applied exclusively to DO schools last cycle and got waitlisted at 2 programs (PNWU and NoordaCOM), but that cycle has now ended. I decided to enroll in the PNWU MAMS program this year, while also reapplying for this current cycle. In the hypothetical that I do well this year (but notably this first semester where I can submit first semester grades), and considering my stats listed below, would I have any chance at any MD programs? I am already applying for DO programs again. Thanks!

MCAT: 502 (126/124/127/125)
cGPA ~3.2, sGPA ~3.1 for DO. BCPM GPA -2.86 for MD, my undergrad degree was Kinesiology (many of these classes not fitting the BCPM qualification)
Exp: - Over 4,500 hours clinical experience (working ER and outpatient)
- Non-clinical volunteer: 100 hours (inpatient physical therapy volunteer + soccer coach)
- Shadowing: 40hrs with doctors, 440 hours with physical therapists (initially was shooting for physical therapy, guess that makes me non-trad?)
- Played some college soccer, and also URM (Hispanic), speak fluent Spanish
- I live in Washington State
- Big upward trend during senior year, downward trend for postbac
Definitly should be realistic. Most MD schools have an average GPA of 3.7 and an average MCAT of 512. Even DO with your stats may be difficult. I would recommend raising your GPA and retaking the MCAT.