Do I have a chance? Fully committed, will do what ever it takes..Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdappli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a non traditional applicant with a 2.75 cGPA and 2.7 sGPA . The reason why my gpa dropped dramatically during my last year was because I went through a really bad time, with losing 4 members of my family in a car accident and 4 months latter losing my grandmother. It was a difficukt time and I handled it very poorly. So I took a break and studied for the mcat on my own for 3 months and did amazing ( 13B,14P,14V). At this point I don't know what to do? should I apply this year or should I do post bacc/ masters? I have been voulunteering for 2 years, I am a licensed EMT and have great recommendation letters. I want to be a strong candidate and improve my chances.. Do you know anyone that has gotten into MD/DO schools with a low gpa but great mcat score? Is it possible? I am very determined, I will do what ever it takes, and I will re-apply until I get it! This is my ultimate dream and I know for sure that I will be a great doctor. I just need to know which steps to take.

Members don't see this ad.

Im a non traditional applicant with a 2.75 cGPA and 2.7 sGPA . The reason why my gpa dropped dramatically during my last year was because I went through a really bad time, with losing 4 members of my family in a car accident and 4 months latter losing my grandmother. It was a difficukt time and I handled it very poorly. So I took a break and studied for the mcat on my own for 3 months and did amazing ( 13B,14P,14V). At this point I don't know what to do? should I apply this year or should I do post bacc/ masters? I have been voulunteering for 2 years, I am a licensed EMT and have great recommendation letters. I want to be a strong candidate and improve my chances.. Do you know anyone that has gotten into MD/DO schools with a low gpa but great mcat score? Is it possible? I am very determined, I will do what ever it takes, and I will re-apply until I get it! This is my ultimate dream and I know for sure that I will be a great doctor. I just need to know which steps to take.
What are your year-by-year college GPAs? What are your plans for returning to school? Have you looked into the possibility of a retroactive withdrawal from your worst semester (it helps if you have some kind of medical/psychological documentation)?

Holy crap, I cannot wait to see how this thread plays out! Seriously - 2.75/2.7/41. Lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, unbelievable MCAT score. You definitely have no problem studying and retaining information. Your EC's look fine too, but your main issue is GPA. How many credits do you have now? A few post-bacc straight A semesters might be able to put you in the 3.0+ range, which coupled with your MCAT should give you a chance in my opinion. You really don't wanna wait too long as to risk having to retake

STRONGLY recommedn an SMP to show you can handle medical school. Right now, I do see a good test taker and independent studier, which is a good sign.

And no, unless you're Bill Gates' kid, you're not getting accepted, even with the high MCAT.

If it was me, I would call the med school(s) I wanted to attend, tell them I have a 41 MCAT and see what they say. I think that will give you better direction than anyone on this forum.

retroactive withdrawl is the first thing you should try, and if that doesn't work, SMP or any sort of post-undergrad program. You're clearly not a ***** and it would be truly unfortunate if you couldn't play out your dreams due to a tragedy. If you can, I'd re-take some of the courses from your last year especially if you got a C or lower (which it seems like you probably did). If you can get higher grades that'll balance out your lower GPA a little bit. I wish you the best of luck!

You will definitely get Osteopathic attention provided you don't get screened out for being under a 3.0. Is there any chance you can do a year of retakes to get to a 3.0 and then have many more chances for better picks?

The one thing that I learned from the admissions process and from hearing everyone else talk, nobody can really understand or know what the admissions committee is thinking or looking for exactly. They see something different in everyone and a given set of "criteria" cannot judge everyone's chances on admission. I know people with low MCAT scores that got in and people with high scores that didn't, however, they all brought something different to the table and only the committee alone can decide if they will fit well into their school and if what they bring to the table is special

Nice job on your MCAT. Might be able to get into a DO school, but you would have a much better chance if you retook a few classes and got your GPA to a 3.0.

I'd suggest partaking in a DIY post-bacc to raise your GPA to a 3.0.

3.0/41 will definitely land you a DO acceptance, and an MD one if you apply broadly. How are your EC's?

41 MCAT.....Wow

I would think as long as you get your GPA high enough to not get screened out and have decent EC/research/volunteer you should be fine to most DO programs and plenty of MD.

One of the greatest challenges of getting into a med school program is standing out from the thousands of applicants with great applications, and it sounds like you will have one h*** of a powerful personal statement.

Best of luck, sounds like you deserve it.

Congrats on the MCAT score! That will get the attention of many DO and MD schools for at least an interview. If it was me I would definitely do an SMP to get the GPA up to at least the 3's. After that you will have a shot at some pretty great programs. Good luck!