DO friendly MD OB/GYN Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apple638

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What allopathic ob/gyn residencies are known for being DO friendly?

Members don't see this ad.

University of Oklahoma

I know the Tulsa program is DO friendly...I assume the Oklahoma City one is also.

Thanks Dr. Mom,

I just checked the the University of Oklahoma Ob/gyn residency page and they don't have any D.O.s in their programs. I'll check out the Tulsa program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Dr. Mom,

I read the resident's handbook and it IS very evident that they are D.O. friendly...

I made a mistake and submitted that last post before I was finished typing. This is one program that I will put on my "wish" list. I'm only a MSII but I am obsessed with getting a residency back in the south where I am from. I know there is one DO ob/gyn program in Texas and two in Oklahoma so I know that I'll have to also apply to MD programs.

Thanks again Dr. Mom and feel free to add me to your buddy list.

Congratulations on being accepted into med school!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UMKC (U. of Missouri in Kansas City) program is DO friendly. 2 of my former classmates just started their OB/GYN PGY1 there.

do you guys think that more ob/gyn osteopathic residencies will develop in the South in the near future...especially since we have a new DO school developing in Virginia?

Do you think that more DO schools will open in the deep South?

I hope so. There are two Osteopathic programs in Texas that my wife is looking at, but we are hoping that they will start one in Houston, TX since this is where we want to live.

DOnut,

I used to live in Houston before I moved to go to med school. I just got back from visiting my friends and family there...oh how I miss that place. I agree I hope they do get an ob/gyn residency program there.
I know of the osteopathic ob/gyn program in Fort Worth that is apart of the osteopathic school there. Where is the other one that you speak of?

I went to the AOA website and searched under Oppurtunities and found out that there is indeed only one osteopathic ob/gyn residency in Texas (Fort Worth) and one in Oklahoma (Tulsa). That's it for osteopathic ob/gyn in the south.

The University of Florida (Pensacola) Ob/gyn residency is very DO friendly. They accept 3 doctors a year and a lot of times it appears that 2 of those docs are DOs.

Almost all the Ohio programs accept DO's. In fact most residencies do. The problem is that a few don't accept COMLEX.
Do your homework
D

AL, OH, MS, MO some TX programs, NJ, DE.
Best is to call the programs and ask them
do you accept COMLEX (others want USMLE.)
do you have any DO residents
do you have any DO faculty
have any DO's graduated from your program if 2 above are no.

Personally I didn't let that affect my decision. I applied to programs based on strengths of research, residency satisfaction, % graduation, % placement into fellowship, surgery hours, didatics, and positive comments from fellow classmates/medical friends.
Good luck in your search
Diane

The University of Florida OB/GYN program in Gainesville *requires* the USMLE...confirmed to me directly by the program contact person.

Our program at Drexel University College of Medicine (in Philly) has two DO PGY1 residents. They are the first ones that I have seen in our program. We also have a couple of faculty DO's who are absolutely incredible.

gm MSIV

The resident that helped deliver our 5th was a DO grad from UNE and if I am not mistaken there were other DOs in the program too.