DO-friendly (COMLEX) Allopathic Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

Kannen1979

Hi, can anyone tell me which, if any,allopathic Derm programs will consider the COMLEX?
I did well on it, but as my friend who had to scramble this past year (in ER) found out, even if they say they accept it, they often don't take it seriously.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, can anyone tell me which, if any,allopathic Derm programs will consider the COMLEX?
I did well on it, but as my friend who had to scramble this past year (in ER) found out, even if they say they accept it, they often don't take it seriously.

Thanks a lot!

to be blunt, none. no allo derm program will consider comlex.

derm is wildly competitive. allo derm is wildly biased against DOs. meander on over to the derm ezboard to see what i mean. it's an anonymous forum, so posters feel free to bare their prejudice and nastiness without fear of identification. the consensus there is that DOs are not even real doctors, let alone "worthy" of becoming dermatologists.

look into the DO derm programs, especially those that integrate their training with the local allo programs, such as the richmond heights program in ohio. be forwarned: a high comlex, though, isn't enough. you'll need strong research and a strong rotation. even with these attributes, you still may not get a spot. as with other DO programs, a personal connection to a program/program director can be worth more than great board scores, grades, and research. more than a few lesser applicants have gotten spots because of who they know, not what they know.

None ( I shouldn't say that- if the program director is a blood relative or your father or mother in-law and you wife/husband is a current resident there- then maybe)

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks a lot!

I have to agree with the other posters. As a Pathology course director in an Osteopathic institution, I have counseled many students in thier searches for Derm Residencies. All have applied to both MD and DO programs. All MD programs required USMLE scores. Despite stellar grades, High COMLEX and USMLE scores, research, rotations at the MD programs, etc. NONE of the DO students were accepted to MD programs, some did not even make it into DO programs. Be absolutely sure you want to derm, have a fall back plan if you don't make it into derm, and be prepared to schmooze your a** off.

Where is there a derm program in Richmond Heights? Is this some DO program that I don't know about? The Cleveland Clinic currently has two DO resident/fellows.

Where is there a derm program in Richmond Heights? Is this some DO program that I don't know about? The Cleveland Clinic currently has two DO resident/fellows.

use this link and select 'medical education'. you'll find a description of the derm residency.

http://www.uhhsrh.org/

by the way, how do you know that the CC has two DOs trainees? i don't see that on their website.

Ah. Can you apply to the program in Richmond Heights if you're an MD? I just did a rotation at CC and there's a 3rd year DO and a surgical fellow DO there. They take DOs for sure.

Ah. Can you apply to the program in Richmond Heights if you're an MD? I just did a rotation at CC and there's a 3rd year DO and a surgical fellow DO there. They take DOs for sure.

no. the richmond heights program is an AOA-accredited program to which only DOs can apply. case western would be the ACGME-accredited counterpart that MDs would apply to.