Derm residency programs with lots of cosmetics experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most derm residency programs have minimal exposure to cosmetics training but are there any programs out there that provide relatively more cosmetics exposure to its residents and if so, which ones? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know most derm residency programs have minimal exposure to cosmetics training but are there any programs out there that provide relatively more cosmetics exposure to its residents and if so, which ones? Thanks!
Loyola Chicago

Reactions: 1 user
UIC i heard.
Cosmetics is actually a big weakness at pretty much every program i interviewed at (almost 20), contrary to popular belief. Some of these had almost none dedicated, and actively discouraged applicants from ranking their program high if they were interested in cosmetics.

Members don't see this ad :)
UIC i heard.
Cosmetics is actually a big weakness at pretty much every program i interviewed at (almost 20), contrary to popular belief. Some of these had almost none dedicated, and actively discouraged applicants from ranking their program high if they were interested in cosmetics.

I had the same experience.

This is stereotyping but in general, the "bigger" the name, the more they want to prep you for life in academia and almost look down on cosmetics

The "smaller" programs that are prepping you for general practice and in particular private practice, tend to have better cosmetics exposure.

While important, I would not put cosmetics at the top of my list for reasons to rank a program. I think there is enough exposure at the conferences (both the major ones and standalone cosmetic ones) where anyone with some experience should feel comfortable doing basic fillers and neuromodulators (heck, why not, tons of other specialties with no business dealing with skin are getting in on this)

If you want to do something more advanced, there are a bevy of cosmetics fellowships one can look at too.

Reactions: 1 users
I think there is enough exposure at the conferences (both the major ones and standalone cosmetic ones) where anyone with some experience should feel comfortable doing basic fillers and neuromodulators (heck, why not, tons of other specialties with no business dealing with skin are getting in on this)

Have you heard of any conferences in particular that are useful? Would appreciate even a PM if you don't feel comfortable posting that here.

Have you heard of any conferences in particular that are useful? Would appreciate even a PM if you don't feel comfortable posting that here.

I've attended and liked cosmetic lectures/courses at the ASDS, Maui Derm, ODAC

Depending on how much cosmetics you do, I've had companies agree to sponsor certain lectures. I believe it was for Radiesse, there was a hands-on mini-session held at a cadaver lab at the academic center where I did fellowship. It's a nice way to learn more about the product while gaining a much deeper glimpse of where filler goes when you inject it. I'm sure all the companies have something similar they can offer for their products.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above and want to re-echo the sentiment. I'm at a doximity top 10 program and we get no cosmetics exposure basically. It's just not really a part of our curriculum and if you want to learn it, you have to really make the extra effort to do so.

Tulane: they have Lupo, Coleman, Farris, and Donofrio teach residents.