DO for Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey. This is good news. Could you please tell me how I would go about applying? Please excuse my ignorance. I have never applied for OSAP before. I went to the OSAP website and clicked on the study abroad section. Then I used this tool (https://osap.gov.on.ca/SchoolSearchWeb/search/school_search.xhtml?commonTask=Y) to determine which schools were eligible and which ones weren't. This tool suggested that no D.O schools besides Lake Erie was eligible.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

I don't think you need that tool, I never used it and everything was fine. You simply go to the application page and apply, you'll have to fill out a couple dozen pages or so of basic information, followed by the program, duration, cost, name of the school/program you will go to. Then it'll give you an estimate of how much you can get, usually slightly below 10,000. Then you wait some more, and they'll mail out your form for your school to sign and stamp. It's much too early right now, and I'm also pretty sure you'd need a US mailing address. So it might be more worthwhile to finish the osap app after you've actually physically moved to the US. You'd have to wait until at least the start of school to get OSAP to release your funding anyhow, so applying now might be jumping the gun.. But it's good to at least finish all the basic information sections first.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you need that tool, I never used it and everything was fine. You simply go to the application page and apply, you'll have to fill out a couple dozen pages or so of basic information, followed by the program, duration, cost, name of the school/program you will go to. Then it'll give you an estimate of how much you can get, usually slightly below 10,000. Then you wait some more, and they'll mail out your form for your school to sign and stamp. It's much too early right now, and I'm also pretty sure you'd need a US mailing address. So it might be more worthwhile to finish the osap app after you've actually physically moved to the US. You'd have to wait until at least the start of school to get OSAP to release your funding anyhow, so applying now might be jumping the gun.. But it's good to at least finish all the basic information sections first.

Thank you :)

I say you got good chance for both DO & MD. For latter improve your MCAT. You will need 2 prof letters though. Since it will be september before offers go out, I dont think it is prudent to leave fulfilling the required courses that late. Since you have made up your mind pretty early, I will also recommend finding and volunteering with a DO. Lastly get as many people for references as you can muster. Personally I had about 6-7 referees. Good Luck! For a list of schools current applicant applied to please refer to previous posts. Of the back of my head the list goes like this: DMU (requires 4 years of tuition up front), Touro COM, AZCOM, Western, NSU. Other schools have not appeared that Canadian friendly this cycle. But I will recommend applying to KCUMB, KCOM, CCOM.

thanku! :D i've noted these down, and am noting down their info.

how abt LMU? i was checkign page 2 of this thread which has the list of schools canadians are accepted to, and LMU's not listed there, and it's mentioned on the same page that LMU doesn't take int.'ls anymore.. but I was checking LMU's website just now, and it says it does, if we can provide them the proof of funding for first year. You guys have any updated news on this?? Should I include LMU in my list, or not?

Thanks!

and keep the tips coming please:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanku! :D i've noted these down, and am noting down their info.

how abt LMU? i was checkign page 2 of this thread which has the list of schools canadians are accepted to, and LMU's not listed there, and it's mentioned on the same page that LMU doesn't take int.'ls anymore.. but I was checking LMU's website just now, and it says it does, if we can provide them the proof of funding for first year. You guys have any updated news on this?? Should I include LMU in my list, or not?

Thanks!

and keep the tips coming please:laugh:

i'd say don't include it, they won't accept canadians. just stick to what's been told here before: touroNY, AZCOM, western, KCUMB, NSU, DMU, MSU (very good option for canadians this coming year).

i'd say don't include it, they won't accept canadians. just stick to what's been told here before: touroNY, AZCOM, western, KCUMB, NSU, DMU, MSU (very good option for canadians this coming year).

great! :D last q :$:$:$ so, that means, i shud probably rule out UNECOM too, right?

btw, for western, just checked it's website, says excluding canada, they need non-US institution coursework to be evaluated.. yeah!

hey, cud someone from toronto refer me to some DO's around here whom I could shadow or just interview..??

thanks! :cool: and yeah, happy mother's day to any mommies out here :D

Last edited:
great! :D last q :$:$:$ so, that means, i shud probably rule out UNECOM too, right?

btw, for western, just checked it's website, says excluding canada, they need non-US institution coursework to be evaluated.. yeah!

hey, cud someone from toronto refer me to some DO's around here whom I could shadow or just interview..??

thanks! :cool: and yeah, happy mother's day to any mommies out here :D

UNECOM is good, apply there.

Twinklystar: Which school did you go to? Depending on the school you will need to get your courses evaluated (its a expensive and a pain the ass to be honest). I had to do it for all schools since I went to UBC and we dont use a 4.00 grading system (just letter grades and %). I think its safe to get them evaluated though anyway, someone on here can comment from a diff school

MSU: Their secondary is a pain in the ASS. Most ridiculous secondary. I didnt finish it cuz i thought it was stupid and unnecessary. However, I also didnt know that they dont interview. So you can get accepted right off the secondary, its whether or not you want to fill out all the bull**** forms. However, with the new Canadian tuition deal I would apply to MSU this year if I had to reapply again. Its a good school, just expensive

I went to University of Waterloo. There's a percent (which is what we get) to 4.0 conversion printed on the back of our transcripts, so I didn't send it in too any evaluation service. University of Waterloo wasn't on AACOMAS' list of pre-registered schools so i thought I might have issues (I think some Canadian schools are on there) but in the AACOMAS instructions, it says that English transcripts from Canada doesn't need to be evaluated so I didn't. No issues, everything cleared for me 2 days after submission. :)

CCOM is Canadian friendly from what I can tell. Edward Via only accepted a few international students over a couple of years. William Carey is regionally biased, even toward US applicants. When I spoke to Western-Oregon office, they said they'll start accepting international students this coming application cycle, but call them to see if they've been approved for it or not. The admin I talked to really seemed to want me, but of course they couldn't. But it gives me the sense that they're Canadian friendly too, like their sister school.

I think MSU is a good shot because they declared they're aiming to accept 10% canadian students. I think the extra paperwork is worth it. It all comes down to a game of how badly you want it and how much money you can dish out. I spent a lot on my apps because I thought it's worth it. I put it into my "overall medical education cost" so by the end, an extra $50 or $100 isn't going to break me. The important thing is getting in and being able to do something I love for the rest of my life.

Hey. This is good news. Could you please tell me how I would go about applying? Please excuse my ignorance. I have never applied for OSAP before. I went to the OSAP website and clicked on the study abroad section. Then I used this tool (https://osap.gov.on.ca/SchoolSearchWeb/search/school_search.xhtml?commonTask=Y) to determine which schools were eligible and which ones weren't. This tool suggested that no D.O schools besides Lake Erie was eligible.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

I used a similar school search tool and found other DO schools on there. Try a more general search name or part of the name? (it'll give you all the hits that's somewhat of a match)

When I did my estimates for OSAP, if you put the degree as a bachelor, you'll get 3K (i think) in grants. If it's Master or higher, or Other, you only get the 8.x K in loans. I know my Canadian MD friends put down a bachelor for their education level because that's what it is considered in Canada. I did the same and figured if OSAP doesn't like it, they can just alter it later.

OSAP will be sending you forms for the school to fill out regarding your tuition etc. Thus, until you get to campus, there's really not much you can do from what I can see right now. However, I went through the process, read all my instructions and filled in my info so pretty much all I have to do is hit submit before heading to school. If you're short for money, do it a bit early because it will take a couple of weeks processing time (probably to send you the forms as well) and you don't want to get stuck in bottom of the pile of rushed undergrad OSAP apps in Ontario.

Twinklystar: Which school did you go to? Depending on the school you will need to get your courses evaluated (its a expensive and a pain the ass to be honest). I had to do it for all schools since I went to UBC and we dont use a 4.00 grading system (just letter grades and %). I think its safe to get them evaluated though anyway, someone on here can comment from a diff school

MSU: Their secondary is a pain in the ASS. Most ridiculous secondary. I didnt finish it cuz i thought it was stupid and unnecessary. However, I also didnt know that they dont interview. So you can get accepted right off the secondary, its whether or not you want to fill out all the bull**** forms. However, with the new Canadian tuition deal I would apply to MSU this year if I had to reapply again. Its a good school, just expensive

I'm from UofT.. we do use the 4.0 scale, and i think its same as AMCAS and AACOMAS.. so hopefully i wont need the evaluation, atleast not for western! :) but some1 else here cud comment more on this... or i'll try looking through previous pages to see if uoft scale needs evaluated as well..

and u'r right abt MSU, applying this year wud be good it seems from their announcement abt tuition reduction and more cdn admission.. i mean 20 canadians per year is a good deal! =)

I'm from UofT.. we do use the 4.0 scale, and i think its same as AMCAS and AACOMAS.. so hopefully i wont need the evaluation, atleast not for western! :) but some1 else here cud comment more on this... or i'll try looking through previous pages to see if uoft scale needs evaluated as well..

and u'r right abt MSU, applying this year wud be good it seems from their announcement abt tuition reduction and more cdn admission.. i mean 20 canadians per year is a good deal! =)

If you went to UofT, then you don't need any evaluations done. (Or, at least I didn't have to for couple of the schools that I applied too...)

Hey guys, I've been creeping this thread for the past few days.
Congrats to all those who got in during the 2010-2011 cycle!
Now for my try to get in the next cycle :laugh:
Quick question, I'm a UWO grad, so would I need to get my transcript evaluated?
Also, I'm currently doing a masters degree at UofT. Would I need to send that transcript in too (although i've only taken one course so far)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I used a similar school search tool and found other DO schools on there. Try a more general search name or part of the name? (it'll give you all the hits that's somewhat of a match)

When I did my estimates for OSAP, if you put the degree as a bachelor, you'll get 3K (i think) in grants. If it's Master or higher, or Other, you only get the 8.x K in loans. I know my Canadian MD friends put down a bachelor for their education level because that's what it is considered in Canada. I did the same and figured if OSAP doesn't like it, they can just alter it later.

OSAP will be sending you forms for the school to fill out regarding your tuition etc. Thus, until you get to campus, there's really not much you can do from what I can see right now. However, I went through the process, read all my instructions and filled in my info so pretty much all I have to do is hit submit before heading to school. If you're short for money, do it a bit early because it will take a couple of weeks processing time (probably to send you the forms as well) and you don't want to get stuck in bottom of the pile of rushed undergrad OSAP apps in Ontario.

Hey bc dancer. Trust me, I thought of all that. I used just touro, touro com, com, osteopathic medicine etc. nothing showed up besides le com.

Hey bc dancer. Trust me, I thought of all that. I used just touro, touro com, com, osteopathic medicine etc. nothing showed up besides le com.

:D

ok.....I know.....i'm being childish, I know.....i know.....i just couldn't help it

couldn't they just choose another name, so every time I see, say, or hear the name, I wouldn't crack up??

Hey guys, I've been creeping this thread for the past few days.
Congrats to all those who got in during the 2010-2011 cycle!
Now for my try to get in the next cycle :laugh:
Quick question, I'm a UWO grad, so would I need to get my transcript evaluated?
Also, I'm currently doing a masters degree at UofT. Would I need to send that transcript in too (although i've only taken one course so far)?

Thanks!

I graduated from UWO in 1998 (Physiology) - I did need to get my transcripts evaluated and it was pricey. All they did was look at your grade from western and take the letter and convert it to a 4.0 scale. Also, I had to explain to a few schools that our full year courses with lab are 6 credit hours not 8. AZCOM knew this, but Lecom - Erie asked for course descriptions.

I would send the transcripts ASAP because you want them to be evaluated and verified by AACOMAS asap.

Western told me and I quote "any course work performed outside of the United States must be evaluated"

Unless some of you some how avoided this, new applicants for this season will need to get converted for Western at least

Western told me and I quote "any course work performed outside of the United States must be evaluated"

Unless some of you some how avoided this, new applicants for this season will need to get converted for Western at least

but on it's main website, where they have the table of prerequisites, it says: "
All coursework taken from non-US institutions (excluding Canada) must be submitted to an approved service for evaluation"

http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/requirements

i guess i'll still call them tomorrow to confirm...:confused:

Last edited:
:D

ok.....I know.....i'm being childish, I know.....i know.....i just couldn't help it

couldn't they just choose another name, so every time I see, say, or hear the name, I wouldn't crack up??

Lol that reminds me. Any word from Touro COM [:)] yet?

Lol that reminds me. Any word from Touro COM [:)] yet?

lol yeah actually, rank #78. according to last years thread and Obed, they had about 140 on the WL and they almost went through the whole list. If this year is like last year, I should hear something probably in july??

which means if I get admitted, I'm gonna have to pack up and go to NY and be homeless for the first week or so. I liked central park a lot, I could sleep there :)

Lol. Well let's hope you hear back before then so you can make proper living arrangements.

but on it's main website, where they have the table of prerequisites, it says: "
All coursework taken from non-US institutions (excluding Canada) must be submitted to an approved service for evaluation"

http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/requirements

i guess i'll still call them tomorrow to confirm...:confused:

Why do you folks keep asking them about Canada and WES when it clearly states that Canadian credits are excluded? When I applied, I just assumed that Canada is sufficiently close to the US system and I don't need the WES. They never brought it up, not even once. If you are that eager to dish out 300 dollars for WES, go ahead :p If they did change the rules, it's probably because of all the pestering by all the Canadian premeds that applied there.. For years and years and years, no Canadian ever needed WES.

I thought I needed to the whole grade evaluation thing because I had York U credits on a 9.0 scale as well as McMaster MBA credits on some other weird scale so I sent everything off to one of the ones on the list. I was puzzled as to why that company would accept my photocopied transcripts when AACOMAS said to submit originals directly from the univerisity. So I called and was told very plainly that I did not need to get my transcripts evaluated and that I should plug in the grade that was on my transcript and it would be converted by AACOMAS. She went on to tell me that if my transcripts were in french then I would need to send them to be evaluated. So I withdrew my evaluation request and just did as I was told in terms of the AACOMAS application and everything worked out fine.

BTW - I can confirm the MSU-COM "Canadian scholarship" is $20K per year. It makes the tuition more palitable (~ $72K - $20K) but still more expensive than the other school I was accepted to (KCUMB).

Call your original univ to see if they send a conversion chart with the transcript, I think that's your best bet if you're on the fence. I didn't know Univ of Waterloo did that until I called them because it's printed on the official transcript paper, which I have never seen until I ordered an official transcript. If you're truly worried, see the $300 as insurance & sanity money. :p

From my conversations when talking to schools, it start with "you MUST follow our rules", "you HAVE to do...", until I say AACOMAS approved my transcript, and then they go "No sweat, then you have nothing to worry about! If they approve it, you're all set." (because schools don't see anything else beside that AACOMAS gives them) YAY! :D

When I searched "Touro" a "TOURO COLLEGE" came up that's on 27-33 West 23 Street. It seems that TouroCOM is on 230 West 125th Street so maybe it's not the same school. But it might just be that the administrative building is at another place.

AZCOM and CCOM comes up when you search "Midwestern," Western/COMP comes up under "western" (4th page), "nova," "des moines" and "kansas" all yield results for me. Make sure you click to see the next page if your search yields multiple pages?

lol thats what i said. You DO need to get them evaluated, I used WES

http://www.wes.org/required/index.asp

lol; i meant, it says "excluding canada"...so we don't need to bother with the evaluation...

i agree with mashmetoo, i myself was surprised to even see the topic of evaluation/conversion being brought up when it came to canadian credits for US.. i mean most of their uni's, DO or MD, mention Canadian/US post-secondary education when they mention their BSc requirement..

so far, it seems only NSU needs conversion.. PCOM don't mention it anywhere on their website, so i won't bring it up.. ACCOMAS accepted my transcript from lasr year, and since i haven't taken any more courses, i just copied the same for this year's app , and now dont have to bother abt having it sent again.. yeh!:D

AACOMAS told me I needed to to the evaluation - so I did.

ok transcript thing worked out..

Last edited:
"Additionally, we require the physician
letter of recommendation for the DO program. This letter may be from
either a DO (preferred) or MD, who must include his/her credentials and
be US Board certified."

this response is from midwestern.

Are our canadian MD's US board certified??:confused:

can we send our transcript again? and if yes, i need to get this one off their list.. is there no way they cud show us wht transcript they have..?? :S

I used Interfolio, the connected service with AACOMAS, for my LOR service. When my transcript arrived, it showed up within my list of letters in Interfolio. Now, I already had an Interfolio account set up and thus, maybe the transcript automatically uploaded in there when AACOMAS scanned it. If you do not already have an Interfolio account, I'm not sure what happens. Since I highly recommend using a LOR service (and Interfolio is relatively cheap), it's something to think about and you can perhaps see what your transcript looks like.

Regarding LORs. A lot of the DO schools had their own individual forms, etc for each recommender to fill out. I personally think that's too much work for them. If you can get a good letter on letterhead, most (if not all) schools will take that (their LOR requirements is usually the form, or a letter on letterhead). I think that's simpler for both and less stressful b/c then you don't have to wait for a letter each time. Get your letters done and then send them on your own sched.

I called around and inquired about Ontario's travel insurance and it seems that they only cover emergency situations or when I'm injured, but not routine doctor visits. I mentioned how another student (darazon) had more comprehensive coverage and they said that each province has different coverage plans/rules and that might be why. Anyone know more about this situation? Are there anyone from Ontario that can comment?

i m from ontario, but havent looked at travel insurance yet.. :$

btw, a slightly diff q: how long does AACOMAS take to verify transcripts during this period of the app cycle??

When I searched "Touro" a "TOURO COLLEGE" came up that's on 27-33 West 23 Street. It seems that TouroCOM is on 230 West 125th Street so maybe it's not the same school. But it might just be that the administrative building is at another place.

AZCOM and CCOM comes up when you search "Midwestern," Western/COMP comes up under "western" (4th page), "nova," "des moines" and "kansas" all yield results for me. Make sure you click to see the next page if your search yields multiple pages?

Yeah. They are definitely different schools but ill try applying and see if it slips through the cracks. I see why you would have results for those other schools but there is only one way to spell touro. Only one page with one search result showed up. Even the older tourocom locations are not on the list.

"Additionally, we require the physician
letter of recommendation for the DO program. This letter may be from
either a DO (preferred) or MD, who must include his/her credentials and
be US Board certified."

this response is from midwestern.

Are our canadian MD's US board certified??:confused:

I used a local MD to get my letter and it wasn't an issue at all. I think this is more a general statement (as in applies more to people from countries other than Canada where some people practicing medicine may not have any formal training). As you go through the process you'll find in many ways Canada is viewed as an extension of America at Canadian friendly schools so a lot of the requirements are a lot more relaxed

I used Interfolio, the connected service with AACOMAS, for my LOR service. When my transcript arrived, it showed up within my list of letters in Interfolio. Now, I already had an Interfolio account set up and thus, maybe the transcript automatically uploaded in there when AACOMAS scanned it. If you do not already have an Interfolio account, I'm not sure what happens. Since I highly recommend using a LOR service (and Interfolio is relatively cheap), it's something to think about and you can perhaps see what your transcript looks like.

Regarding LORs. A lot of the DO schools had their own individual forms, etc for each recommender to fill out. I personally think that's too much work for them. If you can get a good letter on letterhead, most (if not all) schools will take that (their LOR requirements is usually the form, or a letter on letterhead). I think that's simpler for both and less stressful b/c then you don't have to wait for a letter each time. Get your letters done and then send them on your own sched.

Thanks for the response BDancerDoc:)

Here's another major q I was thinking about: should I ask my LOR writers to include my AACOMAS id on it? I know I read about a few schools needing this; ofcourse it cud mean a prob if I also want to try giving 1-2 lowtier allopathic schools a shot..how'd u guys go/planning to go about with this ?

hey guys,

i know this may be a silly q, but i still wanted to confirm with u all: psychology is considered behavioral sciences; at UofT scarborough, it's compiled under life sciences; LORs from my psych professors won't be considered science ones, right?? :(

my luck is so not with me, since i can't find ANY science prof to give me an LOR: 2 don't teach at uni anymore, 1 just retired, 1 is on a science break, 2 aren't even replying.. left with one with whom i got a 71 :(

Hey this is a silly question as well, but what is the average gpa for Canadian osteopathic marticulants

Does it have to be significantly higher than the average or just above

hey guys,

i know this may be a silly q, but i still wanted to confirm with u all: psychology is considered behavioral sciences; at UofT scarborough, it's compiled under life sciences; LORs from my psych professors won't be considered science ones, right?? :(

my luck is so not with me, since i can't find ANY science prof to give me an LOR: 2 don't teach at uni anymore, 1 just retired, 1 is on a science break, 2 aren't even replying.. left with one with whom i got a 71 :(

Hmm not sure. You can request that prof to write a generic letter. Or, you can do the classes that you still require credit for in class.

@ javajava: US schools are more holistic than Canadian schools. If application is heavy on one side, other side can be compensated for. Low GPA can be balanced by High MCAT and vice versa. DONOT THINK THAT MCAT AND GPA ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT MATTER, OTHER THINGS NEED TO BE GOOD TO COMPENSATE ONE RED FLAG.

Here's another major q I was thinking about: should I ask my LOR writers to include my AACOMAS id on it? I know I read about a few schools needing this; ofcourse it cud mean a prob if I also want to try giving 1-2 lowtier allopathic schools a shot..how'd u guys go/planning to go about with this ?

If I remember correctly, I had my LORs (professor and doctor) sent to Interfolio. When I wanted to forward them to the schools, I could add either my ACCOMAS or AMCAS ID.

Through Interfolio, you get a cover page where you can include various numbers (Social, AACOMAS, AMCAS, etc.) that's how I submitted my AACOMAS ID. I would say leave YOUR numbers off your LOR, it'll give you more flexibility. If you're only applying to medical school, it might be nice to have that in the letter but if you're applying to other schools then maybe even that can be left off. But make sure you follow LOR guidelines, most LORs need the letter writer's signature, title/position, how they know you, their contact information, and on letterhead.

Hey this is a silly question as well, but what is the average gpa for Canadian osteopathic marticulants

Does it have to be significantly higher than the average or just above

I find the MD schools more # focused, but not closely as bad as Canadian schools. As for DO schools, they've been kind. I have ave 3.4 GPA (but with a strong upward trend) and like VPP said other parts made up for that. Hope that helps! :)

I find the MD schools more # focused, but not closely as bad as Canadian schools. As for DO schools, they've been kind. I have ave 3.4 GPA (but with a strong upward trend) and like VPP said other parts made up for that. Hope that helps! :)

I currently a junior with roughly the same GPA with a very high high upward trend. Did you get your interview invites from places you applied. Could you also tell me where too. sorry im scared about my chances

I currently a junior with roughly the same GPA with a very high high upward trend. Did you get your interview invites from places you applied. Could you also tell me where too. sorry im scared about my chances

If you look at people's profiles under each school's theads, and the voluntary posting of people's scores, you'll find a large range. Remember that the average is just that. I think I've read people getting in with ~3.0 GPA, or a low MCAT scores such as 6 in VR. If you have something low on one end, make sure to pull it up on the other end (ie, get an above ave MCAT score). Also, US schools like diversity such as other experiences, research/masters, volunteering, and leadership so being able to demonstrate that you're unique and have something to contribute is also an asset. And you can highlight that in your application, such as instead of just describing your experiences, make sure to include how it applies / can be used in medicine. (you can find tips on how to write apps online)

Another huge advantage is applying early. If you want to get in next fall, you need to apply NOW. I applied really late, completed most of my stuff around mid-Feb of this year, which meant most schools had already selected all their interviewees. Luckily, Midwestern has late interview dates and a fast turn around time so I got interviews at both AZCOM and CCOM. I wouldn't recommend doing what I did to anyone. if you have low scores, apply EARLY. It'll save you a lot of headache and worry.

P.S. to be scared is a normal feeling of a pre-med. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to do something wrong, and my acceptance is just going to disappear. :p Also, since you're just a junior, you've still got time. You can do a masters to improve your grades, or work/research to make yourself stand out. All the best of luck! :)

Through Interfolio, you get a cover page where you can include various numbers (Social, AACOMAS, AMCAS, etc.) that's how I submitted my AACOMAS ID. I would say leave YOUR numbers off your LOR, it'll give you more flexibility. If you're only applying to medical school, it might be nice to have that in the letter but if you're applying to other schools then maybe even that can be left off. But make sure you follow LOR guidelines, most LORs need the letter writer's signature, title/position, how they know you, their contact information, and on letterhead.

thanks for the reply!

so, if the letters do not specifically recommend me for "medical schools", but just "your program" (whichever it is) that should be fine as well? because I thought letters had to have medical schools mentioned in it, and I was just debating how to go about getting my referees to write me a general letter (incase I want to apply to some graduate school), and a medical school letter... ?

ok, another question, how does this signature thing work with interfolio? because in this case the letters are electronic :s

All of my letters had me recommended for medical schools in general.

That is a bit of a tricky position, i mean no one wants to ask the same person several times. Are the graduate school programs medically related? Ie a US SMP?

As for Interfolio, im not sure if i understand your question but you get your referee to send the letter to interfolio who than uploads it electronically. Or they can email it to interfolio too. I dont think the signature is a big deal. Did that answer your Q?

thanks for the reply!

ok, another question, how does this signature thing work with interfolio? because in this case the letters are electronic :s

My profs all had electronic versions of their signature that they added. It's easy to do. You sign a piece of paper and scan it so you have a soft copy of it. I also think Interfolio had instructions on how to make an electronic signature.

thankx guys! =)

yeah, i didn't know you could send a hard copy of the letter to interfolio :$ I was thinking they just email it, and I kept thinking how, in that case, the signature would be done. But yeah, I guess these professors/physicians must have written letters for many, so electronic signatures and all shouldn't be a news to them, hopefully. :eek::laugh:

good info. thnkx!:D dunno why i didn't join this forum before, i mean I messed up all my application last year, just because I didn't have enough information and useful tips. :bang:

by the way, I'm literally on the verge of getting on my knees and begging any science prof I could find to write me a generic letter. :scared:

Plus some of these schools need biochemistry, and moreso few need genetics! and I was thinking the intro level "molecular and cellular genetics" should've been enough, but no.

Oh and hey, I got a reply for touro; I'd asked them if they would accept behavioural science prof's LOR instead of the premedical committee one, instead of a basic science one. The reply I got was,

"The point of the science LOR's is to support your entry into a competitive process that is science based."
that was it.

oooooohkay then. Is it just me, or does this seem slightly rude/curt? My question was bit silly, I guess. Though, our transcripts should be a support of our capability to get into competitive science-based programs. Not everyone is able to get good science references in first/second year of undergrad. Or, like me, not have professors who're still available to be a referee.:(

hmph. oh well. I guess the answer is no for the behavioural science being taken as science. :laugh:

oh, just a bit of extra info; i'd emailed LMU the same q a couple of days back. their rep on the other hand said it was fine if i substitute the science LOR with a psyc one. though, after going through the thread here, i was intending to keep LMU out of the list.

Last edited: