DO for Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just interviewed at Azcom today! I really liked the school even though it is completely different than Touro - NY. The interview was more laid back, I wasn't drilled about career change, like I was at Touro. They only asked about it once and then moved on. I could tell they read my personal statement, because they asked me specific questions about marathon training and personal training.

Members don't see this ad.

I just interviewed at Azcom today! I really liked the school even though it is completely different than Touro - NY. The interview was more laid back, I wasn't drilled about career change, like I was at Touro. They only asked about it once and then moved on. I could tell they read my personal statement, because they asked me specific questions about marathon training and personal training.

So which are you going to choose? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked it...no complaints whatsoever...best interview food, free parking, nice campus, extraordinary match list, super high COMLEX and USMLE pass rates...

I had a car rented but I rented the car in Las Vegas so I couls drive to Phoenix :D

do you know if the class is full at this time/or not?

No its not full.

Great showing this year Canadians! I hope to join you guys next year.

Keep up the motivation and impress the US students and faculty so they'll like us even more next year! :D

The admissions staff at AZCOM said that there are about 30 seats left. ADCOM meets thursday night, so portal should be up thurs night, friday morning :/

Buddy did you hear back from Touro yet?

yeah I got HIGH waitlisted which is a good thing apparently. I interviewed so late...on march 15th and I knew I was interviewing for a waitlist spot.

Now I'm waitlisted at 3 schools: western, AZCOM, and TouroNY.

AZCOM and TouroNY look good cause apparently they take a huge portion of the waitlist. Western not so much cause they have a deferred waitlist.

I honestly don't know what went wrong. I had such a high GPA (3.8) and a decent mcat (26-10-6-10) and lots of extra-cur. I can think of couple of weaknesses: I never shadowed a physician (let alone a DO), I had a 6 in verbal, and I applied late and interviewed very late.

yeah I got HIGH waitlisted which is a good thing apparently. I interviewed so late...on march 15th and I knew I was interviewing for a waitlist spot.

AZCOM and TouroNY look good cause apparently they take a huge portion of the waitlist. Western not so much cause they have a deferred waitlist.

I honestly don't know what went wrong. I had such a high GPA (3.8) and a decent mcat (26-10-6-10) and lots of extra-cur. I can think of couple of weaknesses: I never shadowed a physician (let alone a DO), I had a 6 in verbal, and I applied late and interviewed very late.

To be honest, if it was one waitlist I would say your chances might be small....but you got THREE waitlists. I would think you have a good chance to get in. If you need to shadow someone (specifically a DO), I know someone on the island you can shadow. I went over for one day and shadowed, got a letter out of it..super nice person

To be honest, if it was one waitlist I would say your chances might be small....but you got THREE waitlists. I would think you have a good chance to get in. If you need to shadow someone (specifically a DO), I know someone on the island you can shadow. I went over for one day and shadowed, got a letter out of it..super nice person

I PMed you regardin the DO!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I PM'd you about the DO too! But for a different reason.

Cheers guys

he's not single if that's what you wanna know? leave him alone he's mine!

Don't worry it will happen: you have such good stats (NVM the 6). Touro moves very fast just hold your breath and wait for May.

[/B]

Don't worry it will happen: you have such good stats (NVM the 6). Touro moves very fast just hold your breath and wait for May.

I applied late too! I think that is the problem. I am also on the hight wait list with a 3.77 gpa and 25 Mcat 7p-9v-9b -- 16 years post premed classes - 9 years of treating patients as a dentist. I'll know about AZCOM in a few days. I'd really like to go there, although I wouldn't deny Touro. Both seemed like excellent schools. AZCOM said to call friday if the portal didn't change. Apparently, there were spots left. I could get used to no snow!!

Hello everyone,

I am curious to know if anyone here has secured a loan in canada and which bank you used.

I went to TD bank about a month ago just to inquire about the process. The dude kept asking me if it was for an MD program. I said no and explained that the loan is for a D.O program and that D.O = M.D. Dude then proceeded to ask me if I would be a doctor after four years, to which I responded yes. Anyway, he must still be confused because it's been four weeks, and I haven't heard a word from him despite the fact that I left him two voice mails.

Has anyone had better luck at a bank where people understood that D.O = M.D?

Thanks

I deal with TD and am going to go as soon as I know something from AZCOM. I was also looking at other loans today. What does Touro require for the F1 visa?? AZCOM requires $330,000 in a US bank account. When I went to MUSOD all I needed was a letter indicating I had the funds for school.

Touro needs proof of the cost of living for the first year + tuition (~72 k). They did not make mention of having this in an american bank account.

[/B]

Touro needs proof of the cost of living for the first year + tuition (~72 k). They did not make mention of having this in an american bank account.

That would definitely be easier!! I just need some news soon!! LOL I'd be happy at either school.

But if you are selected by both, where would you go :);)?

I really just need time to take care of my practice here! It will be first come first serve!!:laugh:

Hello everyone,

I am curious to know if anyone here has secured a loan in canada and which bank you used.

I went to TD bank about a month ago just to inquire about the process. The dude kept asking me if it was for an MD program. I said no and explained that the loan is for a D.O program and that D.O = M.D. Dude then proceeded to ask me if I would be a doctor after four years, to which I responded yes. Anyway, he must still be confused because it's been four weeks, and I haven't heard a word from him despite the fact that I left him two voice mails.

Has anyone had better luck at a bank where people understood that D.O = M.D?

Thanks

dude, I would have thrown the kitchen sink at the guy. I took my DO letter of acceptance to 2 banks, and got my loan processed without a hitch. My letter said "osteopathic", and no one asked me what it was. If the guy plays hardball, simply pick another representative from the same bank, or try another bank. You'll find that others will be eager to give you that loan :) (TD, CIBC, BMO (I actually screened the ppl at my bank to see if they knew what they were doing. The person I talked to at BMO was a mofo, so I cut them off). I actually got 2 lines of credit secured, TD and CIBC, but TD had some silly restriction of how you can't access your monies longer than 3 months from your date of matriculation), so CIBC it was! The other thing is, all banks have the ability to negotiate your interest, it's just a matter of whether they are willing to do it for you. If you actually have a banker you've know for years, you can negotiate a much better rate, even below their public offering of prime + x%.

he's not single if that's what you wanna know? leave him alone he's mine!

Haha I need to spend more time on the forums. If he's yours, why did he say yes to me? :smuggrin:

Time to run off to the bank and secure some loans. I think I may buy a lambo, anyone wanna go halfsies?

Sorry, I'm sleep deprived and have been buried in micro. I'll go back to making sensical posts tomorrow ;)

But if you are selected by both, where would you go :);)?

drgioiadds:

you (we) also need to consider the fact that AZCOM students have already picked their rotation sites for 3rd year. being late for the cycle, I don't know if there are anything good left for us!!

something to think about!!

Haha I need to spend more time on the forums. If he's yours, why did he say yes to me? :smuggrin:

Time to run off to the bank and secure some loans. I think I may buy a lambo, anyone wanna go halfsies?

Sorry, I'm sleep deprived and have been buried in micro. I'll go back to making sensical posts tomorrow ;)

I suppose 3 of us could work something out.......if you know what I mean:love:

Having 300k in your account is very tempting...I sure could do crazy stuff with it!!:laugh:

drgioiadds:

you (we) also need to consider the fact that AZCOM students have already picked their rotation sites for 3rd year. being late for the cycle, I don't know if there are anything good left for us!!

something to think about!!

They really didn't make that seem like a big deal. It sounded like all the sites were good and they would try to accommodate you.

Anyway, apparently decisions were made already and my portal didn't change which means rejection or waitlist. I guess I'll just call tomorrow.:confused:

They really didn't make that seem like a big deal. It sounded like all the sites were good and they would try to accommodate you.

Anyway, apparently decisions were made already and my portal didn't change which means rejection or waitlist. I guess I'll just call tomorrow.:confused:

They can get late buddy don't worry :)

dude, I would have thrown the kitchen sink at the guy. I took my DO letter of acceptance to 2 banks, and got my loan processed without a hitch. My letter said "osteopathic", and no one asked me what it was. If the guy plays hardball, simply pick another representative from the same bank, or try another bank. You'll find that others will be eager to give you that loan :) (TD, CIBC, BMO (I actually screened the ppl at my bank to see if they knew what they were doing. The person I talked to at BMO was a mofo, so I cut them off). I actually got 2 lines of credit secured, TD and CIBC, but TD had some silly restriction of how you can't access your monies longer than 3 months from your date of matriculation), so CIBC it was! The other thing is, all banks have the ability to negotiate your interest, it's just a matter of whether they are willing to do it for you. If you actually have a banker you've know for years, you can negotiate a much better rate, even below their public offering of prime + x%.

Thanks man. Actually I'm a girl, so I guess that makes me a dudette :). But I dunno why that rep at TD was confused. I even showed him the letter of acceptance. Maybe he thought I was trying to scam them with some strange "bone medicine" degree lol. I'll try CIBC then. Did you show them a final acceptance letter?

That guy is just an idiot....they have a list of acceptable med schools in North America and if he would have checked he would have realized that you were going to one of them. I went to BMO and RBC and both were going to give me the money. I chose BMO just because I've been with them forever.

Thanks man. Actually I'm a girl, so I guess that makes me a dudette :). But I dunno why that rep at TD was confused. I even showed him the letter of acceptance. Maybe he thought I was trying to scam them with some strange "bone medicine" degree lol. I'll try CIBC then. Did you show them a final acceptance letter?

Yep, they had to make photocopies of your letter. The letter should say "we welcome you to the class of 2015" or something of that nature.

Definitely waitlisted at AZCOM to :/

you called or you assume? They way azcom works is that they might even update your portal after a week...unless you call and make sure.

if there was just a way to know who's a girl and who's a dude!!:D

Sometimes I try to analyze the comments and try to figure it out based on the word choice and the smilies used :laugh:

you called or you assume? They way azcom works is that they might even update your portal after a week...unless you call and make sure.

I called on my lunch and the lady said that I am an alternate. I honestly thought I had a chance because there were spots available. Touro's interview went better though.
If I didn't check the portal I wouldn't of known about the interview. I never received an email, only confirmation once I scheduled.

I called on my lunch and the lady said that I am an alternate. I honestly thought I had a chance because there were spots available. Touro's interview went better though.
If I didn't check the portal I wouldn't of known about the interview. I never received an email, only confirmation once I scheduled.

well being on the alternate isn't so bad apparently, they take a large portion..and last week I called the admission commette and they said they have about 50 people on this list. from last year's forums they took about 50-60 people off of it!!

do you know when the last days of interviews are? just to get an idea of WL movement.

I think they have one more set of 3 days. We weren't supposed to find out until friday. I guess they met early.

That sounds better, but I'll definitely need more time than the day before school starts!!

Thanks for your contributions everyone. GL to those waiting. I was really hoping to stick with TD because I have been with them for a while. I will just go to another rep. Mashmetoo can you explain more about that three month restriction at TD? Sounded like a deal breaker for you.

This info is good - I'll need to know too, since I have a feeling I might be acting fast. :/

As Canadians, I feel like we need to acknowledge hockey playoff time....Go Canucks

For you see, without hockey Canadians are just really good looking smart people who enjoy maple syrup, poutine, and can legally drink at the age of 18 or 19.

That is all

PS I also try to judge is a person on here is male/female based off of how they write etc

I
As Canadians, I feel like we need to acknowledge hockey playoff time....Go Canucks

For you see, without hockey Canadians are just really good looking smart people who enjoy maple syrup, poutine, and can legally drink at the age of 18 or 19.

That is all

PS I also try to judge is a person on here is male/female based off of how they write etc

U are male. ubc van is female...i think

I

U are male. ubc van is female...i think

Ok can I ask how you came to the conclusion that I'm a female? My chicky avatar? My "lovey" smilie couple posts up? :luck:

No gender issues here - I am definitely a male! LOL

Ok can I ask how you came to the conclusion that I'm a female? My chicky avatar? My "lovey" smilie couple posts up? :luck:

lol I just have a feeling. Am I wrong? :). If I'm wrong about u, then VPP is the female. One of you is female. I knew drgioiadds was male before he mentioned it and so is mashmeto.

...waits for responses

lol I just have a feeling. Am I wrong? :). If I'm wrong about u, then VPP is the female. One of you is female. I knew drgioiadds was male before he mentioned it and so is mashmeto.

...waits for responses

:laugh:..............................................................a male here!!:D

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!