DO for Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:laugh:..............................................................a male here!!:D

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

it's been a while since I have been here. Just finished the last exam of UNDERGRAD!!!

It looks like some people had issues with loan stuff. I am going to see banks some time this week or next week to get done with loan stuff. What's the interest rate for loans at most banks? Any1 know if we can get line of credit at two different banks?

Good luck to every1 on the waiting list- it will probably move in May!!

Members don't see this ad.

it's been a while since I have been here. Just finished the last exam of UNDERGRAD!!!

It looks like some people had issues with loan stuff. I am going to see banks some time this week or next week to get done with loan stuff. What's the interest rate for loans at most banks? Any1 know if we can get line of credit at two different banks?

Good luck to every1 on the waiting list- it will probably move in May!!

Thanks!! it's been long time!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever we are, I just hope we get off these wait lists!!

lol oops. VPP better be a chick then :cool:

LOL! 100% wrong... GTP you only had 1 out of 2 options (if you are a right wing, otherwise God knows how many if you are left wing (don't know if got the wings right)) and you sadly bunked it ha! Why will you think so though?

LOL! 100% wrong... GTP you only had 1 out of 2 options (if you are a right wing, otherwise God knows how many if you are left wing (don't know if got the wings right)) and you sadly bunked it ha! Why will you think so though?

Haha. I don't know. I think I went by the recent statistic that there are more women going into medicine than men. There are about 5-8 active posters in this canadian thread. So I assumed ~60% of them would be female. I guess I am thoroughly outnumbered. If only this were the case in bars and other social settings :p

Hi My Fellow Canadians,

I wish I'd known about this thread earlier, would have saved me a lot of hassle and leg work when applying. But I'm glad I did, you guys are a blast! :)

I've not had time to read through all 19 pages, only the last couple so sorry if there's repeat info. I applied for line of credit at TD, when they selected program, there was no "DO" category, but they checked the "MD" category. I didn't see a mention of $ amount in these threads, but ppl know that a professional medicine/dental line of credits get 200K limit right? (as opposed to the much lower graduate study limit).

For those that are wondering about AZCOM (and I would think it's the same for CCOM), they need you to have 330+K in a US bank account under you or your sponsors' names. This cannot be mutual funds, 401k (retirement), IRA (retirement) or CD (I forgot what they're called in Canada, these are the higher interest yield but locked down savings account), it has to be a checking or savings account. However, the good news is that you only need proof of financial certification ONCE, they will not ask you for it again. Once that's approved and cleared, you can get your I-20. So for those who use line of credits, you can transfer it over for the short amount of time, get your certification cleared, and transfer the money back. Note, I think my mother said we need to show financial proof when crossing the border to enter the US so maybe you need to keep the money in the bank until then, but don't quote me on this. The easiest way is if you have US relatives / BFFs that can "sponsor" you and that way you don't have to transfer money because you loose a lot in the exchange.

Also a note for the MWU schools, there's a pre-payment plan where you can tuition for latter years and lock in the price at that point. I've calculated the tuition (for the last ~5 yrs, data from their calendar) and it's been steadily increasing at 5%. This is much more than the prime (3%) that TD and CIBC told me on what they are charging.

Hope this info helps!
(and I'll go back one of these days to read the rest 19 pgs so I don't repeat anything)

Wow... I just realized I wrote more in my last post than in my personal statement :p

I was wondering if anyone has tried to apply for OSAP. I found out that the Canadian gov will lend out money for international studies interest free! (but when I did the estimate, I only received loans, no grants :() Anyways, wanted to share this info to those who are eagerly seeking money (like me) and I'd suggest if you're not from Ontario, check with your province. And if you have/are applying to OSAP, I'd love to hear experiences/tips.

Anyone know how having a car down there works for us?

I sort of want to sell my car in Canada and buy an older and cheaper car once I'm down there just to have some extra money.

My questions:

Can I insure, register etc down there? Can I get a driver's license down there or do I use my Canadian one? If I am a Canadian insured and registerd in the US do I get hassled if I want to drive my car home to Canada next summer for a few months?

The other alternative is to keep my car and take it down to Arizona with me...but it's sort of the same. Would I keep it insured in Canada and how long can I have it in the US for at a time (is it under 6 months?)

Lol, sorry for all the questions!! Maybe if someone knows who I should call to find out that would be a better way to go about this.

I believe you can transfer your Canadian license to a US one without any difficulties (as long as it's a full Canadian to a US), I think that's what my parents did 10 yrs back. When I moved to California, I had to take a (shortened, I think) version of the written test, like 15 question. (plz note, I was going from a Michigan to a California license).

If I remember the California laws correctly, if it is a permanent move (which this is for school), you have to register your new drivers and car license within 3 weeks, otherwise you can be fined. christine, I'd suggest checking with the AZ department of... moving stuff for what our timelines are.

Note: California has smog checking required for cars so if it's an old car, I'd find out if it'll approve smog check before taking it with you.

The police here has been strict pulling over fast drivers with out of state license plates, so out of country I'd be careful. This is going to sound lame for TO drivers, but try to follow the speed limit in the beginning until you find out what's acceptable in the area. My parents are in Michigan (hint hint for the 16 MSUs) and they say that plenty of cars have been pulled over for even driving slightly over the limit.

As for the insurance, I believe it's by city (in the US, even within the same city, neighbourhood have different quoted price) so I would just switch it b/c you don't want to get into a large accident and not be covered... right? (but I'm sure you can always call insurance and find out)

Hello Everyone!

I am new to SDN and thought I should say hi (sorry for interrupting the discussion!)

I am from Toronto and graduated from UWO in 2010. I have an "acceptance pending a seat" at KCOM so will either be attending this fall or next, and hopefully will be finding out tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone else is playing the waiting game?

Any other Canadians out there attending KCOM in the fall?

Shouldnt you all be studying for finals like I am?!

I've heard AZ are being sticklers on foreign plates for speeding from my uncle down there so watch yourselves. Also, when I was driving down there evryone drives like a granny (no offense to all you grannies in this thread ;)) I was going maybe 5 mph over and passing almost everyone on the road. Up here on the QEII unless I'm going 30 over people are blowing by me giving me the ole Alberta Salute lol.

As for the gender inequality: Dear VPP and drcother, I wish you were female. But, as for GTP, how you doin'? And I need to start going to better bars I think, where the ratio is this 60% XX to 40% XY of which you so fondly speak Ms. GTP.

For you AZCOMers, they do the same thing about allowing you to prepay 4 yrs tuition at todays rate which is what I think I am going to do. 3% on a LOC is better than the 5-10% tuition is going up every year. Also, they let you put it on a credit card. I can't wait to collect points on a $200,000 purchase

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone!

I am new to SDN and thought I should say hi (sorry for interrupting the discussion!)

I am from Toronto and graduated from UWO in 2010. I have an "acceptance pending a seat" at KCOM so will either be attending this fall or next, and hopefully will be finding out tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone else is playing the waiting game?

Any other Canadians out there attending KCOM in the fall?

I did my undergraduate degree at UWO and graduated in 1998 (Honours Physiology).

Waitlisted High at TOURO NY and AZCOM

Shouldnt you all be studying for finals like I am?!

I've heard AZ are being sticklers on foreign plates for speeding from my uncle down there so watch yourselves. Also, when I was driving down there evryone drives like a granny (no offense to all you grannies in this thread ;)) I was going maybe 5 mph over and passing almost everyone on the road. Up here on the QEII unless I'm going 30 over people are blowing by me giving me the ole Alberta Salute lol.

As for the gender inequality: Dear VPP and drcother, I wish you were female. But, as for GTP, how you doin'? And I need to start going to better bars I think, where the ratio is this 60% XX to 40% XY of which you so fondly speak Ms. GTP.

For you AZCOMers, they do the same thing about allowing you to prepay 4 yrs tuition at todays rate which is what I think I am going to do. 3% on a LOC is better than the 5-10% tuition is going up every year. Also, they let you put it on a credit card. I can't wait to collect points on a $200,000

purchase

Where did you get your line of credit? Did you get the I 90 yet? Touro is a little bit easier to get the I 90 - only need proof of 70,000

This is for people wondering about cars, I'm a car guy so I've looked into this and here is what I have.

Called the DMV in AZ, they told me a student on an F1 visa can have their personal vehicle with their original plates (so mine will be AB plates) down there for the duration of their degree no problem. Further, our drivers licenses are fully valid down there so you do not need to get an arizona one.

In AZ, we are required to get emissions testing done on our cars and get a sticker from the DMV showing we passed. Apparently this is an easy process, and if your car does fail you can legally drive it for 1 yr down in the states before you need to take it back to Canada (as per customs and immigration website).

I use TD insurance, and they told me they don't care where I drive the car I will still be insured. They said I was welcome to take it down to AZ and they would cover me at my current rates so that was a plus. Other companies may vary so keep this in mind.

Anything else I may be able to help with. I'm making the drive down there to get my cars down so I've already plotted a route and such

Where did you get your line of credit? Did you get the I 90 yet? Touro is a little bit easier to get the I 90 - only need proof of 70,000

Got mine through Servus Credit Union here in Alberta as thats where my parents bank and I used their good name to secure it

Thanks thumbz, you did a lot of my leg work for me (for AZ)!

I guess I give poor advice to Canadians since I've been out of country for too long. Sorry about that!

But I agree with the speed limit thing, be careful. Also, Cali (not sure which other states) has a lot of cameras at intersection that'll ticket you for not coming to a full stop at red light-right turn, or running a yellow that turns red. I noticed most CA drivers are more conservative when running lights (as opposed to here in MI) because it's $350 a pop.

Thanks thumbz, you did a lot of my leg work for me (for AZ)!

I guess I give poor advice to Canadians since I've been out of country for too long. Sorry about that!

But I agree with the speed limit thing, be careful. Also, Cali (not sure which other states) has a lot of cameras at intersection that'll ticket you for not coming to a full stop at red light-right turn, or running a yellow that turns red. I noticed most CA drivers are more conservative when running lights (as opposed to here in MI) because it's $350 a pop.

No worries! I've inadvertantly given out my fair share of misinformation too. For all the car stuff I've kept copies of the conversations so that I don't need to worry about it (like when NSU decided to stop accepting Canadians for 2 weeks right before I interviewed and got us all worked into a frenzy). Are you going to be attending AZCOM?

No worries! I've inadvertantly given out my fair share of misinformation too. For all the car stuff I've kept copies of the conversations so that I don't need to worry about it (like when NSU decided to stop accepting Canadians for 2 weeks right before I interviewed and got us all worked into a frenzy). Are you going to be attending AZCOM?

Yes, on the looks of it I'll be at AZCOM! :)
I'm glad there are so many Canadians there. Makes me feel at home.

Even though both countries are very similar, there's still some getting use to. I remember when I just moved to Cali and was going over the rules of our insurance provider, Aetna (that AZCOM provides), I was told that if I needed to go to the ER (when it's not a life threatening emergency such as bleeding out, then it's a no braining), I needed to call Aetna's 24-hr hotline to ask for permission (either speak to someone or leave a message and they will get back to me within 30 min). Otherwise, if they don't give me approval they will not pay for my ER bill. You should have seen my face, my jaw remained dropped for about 15 min! :eek: Miss the universal healthcare and the short swipe of my OHIP.

So nice to see all the support for fellow Canadian DO's on here... This didn't exist when I applied 3 years ago. Good luck everybody!

Just FYI for those considering moving to California, when I moved a few years back, the California DMV website stated that they do not accept out-of-US licenses for exchange (even Canada). Apparently you have to take the written AND the driving test again... WTF... hopefully this has changed, but I doubt it. Luckily I had a DC license at the time and was able to switch.

Also, get a US social security number ASAP, you will need it.

Get 2 lines of credit from Canadian banks to cover your med school expenses, the interest rate (3%) is waaaay better than the US federal student loan rate (6.7% or something).

Good luck guys!

So nice to see all the support for fellow Canadian DO's on here... This didn't exist when I applied 3 years ago. Good luck everybody!

Just FYI for those considering moving to California, when I moved a few years back, the California DMV website stated that they do not accept out-of-US licenses for exchange (even Canada). Apparently you have to take the written AND the driving test again... WTF... hopefully this has changed, but I doubt it. Luckily I had a DC license at the time and was able to switch.

Also, get a US social security number ASAP, you will need it.

Get 2 lines of credit from Canadian banks to cover your med school expenses, the interest rate (3%) is waaaay better than the US federal student loan rate (6.7% or something).

Good luck guys!

Cali DMV rules still the same - you have to retest and everything! (went through all of that, was NOT fun). How do you get a social security number? I asked the international student coordinator at Western and she said only those who are going to work can get the social security card... basically, since I'm a student, I can't get one.. which is a total bitch because you can't do a lot of banking related stuff without a social security number.

Cali DMV rules still the same - you have to retest and everything! (went through all of that, was NOT fun). How do you get a social security number? I asked the international student coordinator at Western and she said only those who are going to work can get the social security card... basically, since I'm a student, I can't get one.. which is a total bitch because you can't do a lot of banking related stuff without a social security number.

I was told if you have a US account that pays interest you need an SSN because you have to pay US taxes on the interest accrued, otherwise the IRS will come after you for tax evasion?

Edit: I lied, you can just get an ITTN so the IRS can track you. But, you can get a non-working SSN if someone tells you you need one. Just submit the statement of need along with the SSN application to the government and they may approve you. May :p

Last edited:
I did my undergraduate degree at UWO and graduated in 1998 (Honours Physiology).

Waitlisted High at TOURO NY and AZCOM

Nice to see a fellow UWO grad! I seriously miss that place like crazy! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Does anyone know anything about obtaining a "statement of need" from health canada to obtain a J1 Visa (for residency in the US if need be...) My plan is to try for a Canadian residency but if that doesn't work out will go for an ACGME spot in the US...but I have heard some rumors that Health Canada will not provide this "Statement of need" for DO grads? Any further info would be much appreciated!!

Nice to see a fellow UWO grad! I seriously miss that place like crazy! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Does anyone know anything about obtaining a "statement of need" from health canada to obtain a J1 Visa (for residency in the US if need be...) My plan is to try for a Canadian residency but if that doesn't work out will go for an ACGME spot in the US...but I have heard some rumors that Health Canada will not provide this "Statement of need" for DO grads? Any further info would be much appreciated!!

I heard you'd first need to write the MCCEE before they can do the J1 statement of need (showing that you have the intention to return by writing the MCCEE). Also, I don't think it's "THAT" hard to get the H1B visa, especially if you know exactly what residency you want, and what board scores you need to get there.

Thumbz thanks a ton for doing all of that!! I would way rather use my car at least for the first year and maybe sell it and get a cheaper one later on.

Anyone know how our healthcare will work down in AZ or wherever we end up?

Talk to LEAD, maybe you can tutor next year. That might qualify you for a SS. I agree, without one it makes it very difficult. Luckily, I have one from a pre-911 visa I had.

Just found this thread, good info in it. I have not looked though ALL of the pages though.

One word of advice for medical care in the US. Don't ever buy your school's med insurance or anything in the US. We made that mistake last year at Western -paid $6,000 for the year for my family and it does not cover 100%. This year we got travelers insurance for students from Manulife in Calgary. Cost us $1,400 for the year - and they cover everything 100% with no co-pay. Went to the dentist to get my wisdom teeth pulled - covered. My wife is having a baby -100% covered. It has been wonderful.

Last edited:
Talk to LEAD, maybe you can tutor next year. That might qualify you for a SS. I agree, without one it makes it very difficult. Luckily, I have one from a pre-911 visa I had.

Just found this thread, good info in it. I have not looked though ALL of the pages though.

One word of advice for medical care in the US. Don't ever buy your school's med insurance or anything in the US. We made that mistake last year at Western -paid $6,000 for the year for my family and it does not cover 100%. This year we got travelers insurance for students from Manulife in Calgary. Cost us $1,400 for the year - and they cover everything 100% with no co-pay. Went to the dentist to get my wisdom teeth pulled - covered. My wife is having a baby -100% covered. It has been wonderful.

Thanks for the info on the insurance! I never thought of that, that's a great saving! Would you mind elaborating a bit on how it works? Do you get a card that they swipe and do you have to pay first hand yourself? (I recall asking about traveler's insurance before and think that they said I have to make the payments first, and then they'll reimburse me, or maybe that was OHIP who said that.)

Congrats on the baby!!! Is it your guy's first?

Thanks for the info on the insurance! I never thought of that, that's a great saving! Would you mind elaborating a bit on how it works? Do you get a card that they swipe and do you have to pay first hand yourself? (I recall asking about traveler's insurance before and think that they said I have to make the payments first, and then they'll reimburse me, or maybe that was OHIP who said that.)

Congrats on the baby!!! Is it your guy's first?

Thanks. It is actually going to be our 4th!

The insurance is good for a year and must be renewed in person. Most places you do have to pay up front. My wife did go see an ophthalmologist who was able to bill direct though. Each time you go see a doctor you have to call Manulife to get it approved. We have never had any problems getting anything approved though. Once it is approved, you can go see any doctor you like. Manulife will send you the paperwork, you submit it along with the receipts, and they reimburse you in US funds to your US address. Any prescriptions the doctor prescribes are 100% covered as well.

We also looked at Blue Cross travelers insurance, but choose to go with Manulife because they covered pregnancy and prescriptions.

Wow... I just realized I wrote more in my last post than in my personal statement :p

I was wondering if anyone has tried to apply for OSAP. I found out that the Canadian gov will lend out money for international studies interest free! (but when I did the estimate, I only received loans, no grants :() Anyways, wanted to share this info to those who are eagerly seeking money (like me) and I'd suggest if you're not from Ontario, check with your province. And if you have/are applying to OSAP, I'd love to hear experiences/tips.

I got 10k in grants this year from the government. $34k in loans plus $10k grants for $44k. I believe it was a low income grant. Not sure if having kids is a requirement for the grants though.

As far as other loans go, I got mine from RBC ($150k). RBC has banks in the US so I was able to open a US account from my branch in Canada. I can also transfer money directly from my LOC to my US account through online banking. They can also give you a US Visa card based on your Canadian credit. The only downside is that RBC has no branches in the Western US, only some states out east so you cannot make deposits and withdrawals will cost $2-3.

I got 10k in grants this year from the government. $34k in loans plus $10k grants for $44k. I believe it was a low income grant. Not sure if having kids is a requirement for the grants though.

As far as other loans go, I got mine from RBC ($150k). RBC has banks in the US so I was able to open a US account from my branch in Canada. I can also transfer money directly from my LOC to my US account through online banking. They can also give you a US Visa card based on your Canadian credit. The only downside is that RBC has no branches in the Western US, only some states out east so you cannot make deposits and withdrawals will cost $2-3.

I googled and it seems like the Alberta equivalent to OSAP is the ALIS. Is that where you got your gov grants? Wow, that's a significant amount, impressive!

Thanks for the info darazon. And congrats on the 4th baby! I'm having a hard time imagining how I'm going to get through school, let alone school & babies! :eek:

comrades, we were at the bottom of the forum :eek:
*bumped*

How long does it usually take to get approved for the professional loan from RBC/TD etc? I haven't started the process yet, may need to make a trip back to Canada and meet with a few banks.

Depends on the bank. I needed a cosigner and once I had that it still took a few weeks for BMO and only a few days for RBC to approve me.

can those with the canadian loans speak to options post graduation? I've heard that there are programs like IBR that will allow you to make modest payments on the loan, not even covering interest, and then just forgive the rest of the loan. Given options like that, isn't it better to go with Stafford loans if we qualify? (dual citizen here....)

can those with the canadian loans speak to options post graduation? I've heard that there are programs like IBR that will allow you to make modest payments on the loan, not even covering interest, and then just forgive the rest of the loan. Given options like that, isn't it better to go with Stafford loans if we qualify? (dual citizen here....)

I guess it all depends on whether one can actually pull off a "forgive rest of the loan".. What if you can't? In that case, I'd rather stick with my 2% + prime instead of a "possible" forgiveness of loans at ~6.9%?

I guess it all depends on whether one can actually pull off a "forgive rest of the loan".. What if you can't? In that case, I'd rather stick with my 2% + prime instead of a "possible" forgiveness of loans at ~6.9%?

I've been doing some more research since posting above and the variable rate has me a little worried. Looking at past trends, the Canadian rate has been at 1% only during this past recession. In the 12 years between 1996 - 2008, it hovered between 3-5%.

Here's where I'm getting my data (you can change the timeline displayed!):

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/canada/interest-rate

The downside to the US loans are that they would tie me down to practicing in the USA for 10 years (at an academic or non-profit hospital system) after graduation. On the other hand, if I were to enter a long residency, it would be just 3-4 years after I'm done with residency....

This is just back of the envelope stuff, but it looks like the US loans offer greater advantages to someone hoping to practice in the USA. If anyone has done a more thorough calculation please feel free to add to the discussion.

Stafford loans should be your last resort. The interest rate is much higher than any loan from Canada.

You can apply for "interest relief" from Canadian government loans for up to 6 years I believe. You make NO payments, and the government pays your interest. It is income based. After I graduated from undergrad, I worked for 4 years. The governmental did forgive about 15K on my loans. I don't know whether they do that for grad/med school or not.

Private loans for Canadians from the banks will more than likely be interest only while you are in school and residency -at least that is the way it is for me at RBC. My interest rate is also 2.25%, WAY lower than any stafford loan.

Stafford loans should be your last resort. The interest rate is much higher than any loan from Canada.

You can apply for "interest relief" from Canadian government loans for up to 6 years I believe. You make NO payments, and the government pays your interest. It is income based. After I graduated from undergrad, I worked for 4 years. The governmental did forgive about 15K on my loans. I don't know whether they do that for grad/med school or not.

Private loans for Canadians from the banks will more than likely be interest only while you are in school and residency -at least that is the way it is for me at RBC. My interest rate is also 2.25%, WAY lower than any stafford loan.

Even if we ignored the fact that private loans have a variable interest rate, and even if we presumed that Canadian Loans are at a 0% interest rate, the Stafford loans with IBR+PSLF make more sense since the initial capital investment will be forgiven on a $250,000-$350,000 loan. The IBR payments are so small (~$400 during residency and ~1600 post residency assuming a 140k yearly salary) that the borrower can't even cover the interest on the loans.

I've been doing some more research since posting above and I've heard from another student that the "loan forgiveness" may actually be written into the promissory note of the loan itself. If this is the case, they can't re-neg on the contract after you've taken out the loan. If this is not the case, I agree, you'd be setting yourself up for a large downside if the laws change...

We are halfway down page 2!

Looks like TouroCom NY's waitlist will start to move! Rankings come out tomorrow.

I'm nervous too. I really liked both schools I'm waitlisted at. I refilled out the AACOMAS today but I'm hoping I won't have to submit it.

Hello fellow Canadians! :D

I'm planning on applying for this year's cycle to DO programs. Alternatively though, I am in the process of sending an application to SABA, and am also waitlisted for an MBBS program abroad. But the decisions for that school comes in late August, so I thought, that I should do be fair to myself, and give the DO route another shot, before finalizing on the foreign degree plan.

So, first a brief introduction: I got my BSc last year from UofT (Scar) with a 3.59 cGPA, science GPA would be around 3.3 (though I haven't calculated it), and MCAT 30S (V:8;BS:10;PS:12).

I had applied very late last year for the US cycles, couple pf AMCAS and couple of DO schools. Unfortunately, I couldn't send in the secondaries. But, even the schools who sent secondaries to screened applicants (AMCAS that is) didn't send me secondaries - and I'd just applied to 7 anywayz.I'd also applied to a couple of DO schools, those that didn't require a physician LOR. But, again, couldn't send in secondaries.

In the course of the past few months I've volunteered at a hospital here in downtown Toronto, in the mental health department, for an MD. I have 500+ hours of experience, out of which around 250 hours would be direct patient interaction.

And after looking in detail into DO programs, I love the idea of DO programs. I got no problems with havign "DO" after my name, instead of MD. The main hurdle ofcourse is getting accepted!

Other than this hospital experience, my other experiences include tutoring in high school during my 3rd undergrad year, brain day volunteer, cancer relay volunteer for a day, two club execs, just helping out at another club, lab volunteer for a couple of months, volunteering periodically for 2-3 years in this driving school in our community, with office work (infact I want to use the owner as one of my referee for MSUCOM - is that a good idea?)

In terms of my academic though: I have not taken full course loads. That I guess is the major red flag for me: full course load first year (3.34 annual GPA), 1 course short of full course load 2nd year (3.76 GPA), 80 % load 3rd year (3.5) and 1 course short of full load 4th year (3.87 GPA).

There's more to this :oops: I haven't taken Organic Part 2 and English courses:oops:I know... it was absolutely silly of me not to take them specially if I had any thought of applying to US.:oops:

So, there it is. My record. As for my references, well one's the physician I volunteered with. As for the other ref, there's a prof I took dicussion course with, she may be able to provide anothet to me. But I don't have much science referee, just one - she can only write me an strictly academic letter. But hey, atleast I have references this time! lol. :laugh:

So, o Canadians, which schools do I have a shot at (or do I even have a shot?:p) if I apply really early - like send in my primary this month itself! Which schools are canadian friendly?

By the way, I am planning to take the missing prereqs but only if I get accepted to some school (conditional acceptance ofcourse). I'll take the courses this Fall or next winter session right before the classes, it won't be a problem. :xf:

Last edited:
Hello fellow Canadians! :D

I'm planning on applying for this year's cycle to DO programs. Alternatively though, I am in the process of sending an application to SABA, and am also waitlisted for an MBBS program abroad. But the decisions for that school comes in late August, so I thought, that I should do be fair to myself, and give the DO route another shot, before finalizing on the foreign degree plan.

So, first a brief introduction: I got my BSc last year from UofT (Scar) with a 3.59 cGPA, science GPA would be around 3.3 (though I haven't calculated it), and MCAT 30S (V:8;BS:10;PS:12).

I had applied very late last year for the US cycles, couple pf AMCAS and couple of DO schools. Unfortunately, I couldn't send in the secondaries. But, even the schools who sent secondaries to screened applicants (AMCAS that is) didn't send me secondaries - and I'd just applied to 7 anywayz.I'd also applied to a couple of DO schools, those that didn't require a physician LOR. But, again, couldn't send in secondaries.

In the course of the past few months I've volunteered at a hospital here in downtown Toronto, in the mental health department, for an MD. I have 500+ hours of experience, out of which around 250 hours would be direct patient interaction.

And after looking in detail into DO programs, I love the idea of DO programs. I got no problems with havign "DO" after my name, instead of MD. The main hurdle ofcourse is getting accepted!

Other than this hospital experience, my other experiences include tutoring in high school during my 3rd undergrad year, brain day volunteer, cancer relay volunteer for a day, two club execs, just helping out at another club, lab volunteer for a couple of months, volunteering periodically for 2-3 years in this driving school in our community, with office work (infact I want to use the owner as one of my referee for MSUCOM - is that a good idea?)

In terms of my academic though: I have not taken full course loads. That I guess is the major red flag for me: full course load first year (3.34 annual GPA), 1 course short of full course load 2nd year (3.76 GPA), 80 % load 3rd year (3.5) and 1 course short of full load 4th year (3.87 GPA).

There's more to this :oops: I haven't taken Organic Part 2 and English courses:oops:I know... it was absolutely silly of me not to take them specially if I had any thought of applying to US.:oops:

So, there it is. My record. As for my references, well one's the physician I volunteered with. As for the other ref, there's a prof I took dicussion course with, she may be able to provide anothet to me. But I don't have much science referee, just one - she can only write me an strictly academic letter. But hey, atleast I have references this time! lol. :laugh:

So, o Canadians, which schools do I have a shot at (or do I even have a shot?:p) if I apply really early - like send in my primary this month itself! Which schools are canadian friendly?

By the way, I am planning to take the missing prereqs but only if I get accepted to some school (conditional acceptance ofcourse). I'll take the courses this Fall or next winter session right before the classes, it won't be a problem. :xf:

I say you got good chance for both DO & MD. For latter improve your MCAT. You will need 2 prof letters though. Since it will be september before offers go out, I dont think it is prudent to leave fulfilling the required courses that late. Since you have made up your mind pretty early, I will also recommend finding and volunteering with a DO. Lastly get as many people for references as you can muster. Personally I had about 6-7 referees. Good Luck! For a list of schools current applicant applied to please refer to previous posts. Of the back of my head the list goes like this: DMU (requires 4 years of tuition up front), Touro COM, AZCOM, Western, NSU. Other schools have not appeared that Canadian friendly this cycle. But I will recommend applying to KCUMB, KCOM, CCOM.

Hello,

I just looked on the OSAP website and searched for funding outside of canada. It appears that no D.O schools besides Lake Erie is on the list. Interestingly, caribbean schools are all over the place.

Did anyone apply for OSAP or anything similar? 10K X 4 years interest free is kind of sweet.

Thanks

Hello,

I just looked on the OSAP website and searched for funding outside of canada. It appears that no D.O schools besides Lake Erie is on the list. Interestingly, caribbean schools are all over the place.

Did anyone apply for OSAP or anything similar? 10K X 4 years interest free is kind of sweet.

Thanks

DO schools are definitely eligible for OSAP. Western U has a code for it.

DO schools are definitely eligible for OSAP. Western U has a code for it.

Hey. This is good news. Could you please tell me how I would go about applying? Please excuse my ignorance. I have never applied for OSAP before. I went to the OSAP website and clicked on the study abroad section. Then I used this tool (https://osap.gov.on.ca/SchoolSearchWeb/search/school_search.xhtml?commonTask=Y) to determine which schools were eligible and which ones weren't. This tool suggested that no D.O schools besides Lake Erie was eligible.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks