Do doctors really look down on nurses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessica84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year nursing student, and the floor I am on for clinicals has many resident doctors. They are all very polite and work hard. Now I am wondering what they think of us nursing students coming onto their floor. From the threads that I have read on this forum, many doctors view nurses as inept, lazy, and all are conspiring to gang up on doctors to prove them wrong.

I am hard-working, conscientous, and would hate for anyone to view me that way. I hate to say it, but I know that there are huge differences in how some nursing students take studying seriously while others may go out and party. End result: There can be a huge difference in nurses' abilities and their work ethic (as there are in doctors). Please do not generalize all nurses. Many of us (the ones in my clinical group, for example) work very hard and work with the doctors. We also study so much it cuts into our socializing time. We sacrifice that time to work on what is important now. I want to know all I can to make the best decsions for my patients. However, I still have so much to learn and fear making mistakes all of the time. Just as residents and med. students worry about getting yelled at by their attending doctors, I fear getting yelled at by the grumpy charge nurse! We are supposed to be working as a team, and to what benefit is it to our patients if we work against one another.

uggh...and the stories of sleezy nurses? They've gotta go!

Members don't see this ad.

From the threads that I have read on this forum, many doctors view nurses as inept, lazy, and all are conspiring to gang up on doctors to prove them wrong.

News flash: you can't dictate what people think of you or force people to have a positive opinion of you just because you say so. The good news, though, is that if you're a good nurse, you'll stand out because at many places most nurses are really crappy.

From the threads that I have read on this forum, many doctors view nurses as inept, lazy, and all are conspiring to gang up on doctors to prove them wrong.

I started the thread you are referring to, and I tell a lot of stories about nurses.

Let me offer one suggestion: I know there is a lot of commraderie between nurses, but do not take criticism of one as criticism of all. When people here talk about all the stupid things "they" do, we're talking about bad coworkers, not all nurses in general.

You will also find, if you read through other areas of SDN, equally vicious criticism of fellow interns, residents, and attendings.

For myself, I don't think all nurses are inept, lazy, and conspiring against me. But I also don't think all nurses are wonderful, caring, and hard working. I judge people individually. I don't give a rat's a$$ if you're a tech, nurse, or doctor; if you do right by our patients, I'll love you forever, and if you're a lazy sack, I hate you. End of story.

For myself, I don't think all nurses are inept, lazy, and conspiring against me.

No, not all. I'd put it at 75%, though.

I generally feel sorry for the nursing students. Nurses sometimes eat their young.

Keep working hard, get through school, be nice and take care of your patients, and you'll get along great with the docs.

I generally feel sorry for the nursing students. Nurses sometimes eat their young.

That's true. In an unrelated matter, they also can be somewhat abusive to nursing students.

depends if you're hot or not.

Where are you? I'm in my car right now and the keys are in the ignition!

Yeah, nursing students are usually cool. They're hard working, dedicated, etc. Sure they make the occasional mistake "Doctor, Doctor, he's got a fever of 99.1!!! What are you going to do about this!?!" but interns make mistakes just as (if not stupider) so I ain't going to point blame.

The nurses I think most residents (and med students) have problems with are the same ones YOU are going to have problems with. The old guard who's burnt out on helping patients and just comes in to draw that paycheck. They usually hang out in a clique who look out for one another. A "you scratch my back if I scratch yours" type thing to make sure everybody does as little work as possible. And God help you if you question them as they'll bring their whole gang to bear on you.

Sure they make the occasional mistake "Doctor, Doctor, he's got a fever of 99.1!!! What are you going to do about this!?!" but interns make mistakes just as (if not stupider) so I ain't going to point blame.

The only way you can make the claim that interns make "stupider" mistakes than the one you gave is if you have ever heard an intern calling their chief and going, "OMG OMG, this guy has a fever of 99.1!!! What should I do about this!?!"
The nurses I think most residents (and med students) have problems with are the same ones YOU are going to have problems with. The old guard who's burnt out on helping patients and just comes in to draw that paycheck.

That's called "year two" for nurses.

I love nursing students... they remind me when I was innocent and naive.:cool:

I don't look down on nurses.

I like nursing students (regardless of what they look like). They are eager to learn and enthusiastic, and often approach me to watch bedside procedures. While it is true that they sometimes call with things that they don't need to or do not appreciate normal variations, this is part of the learning process and they take to education much better than a more seasoned nurse.

To say that doctors look down on nurses would be an overstatement. Most of us get frustrated with some of our colleagues from time to time...the disdain many nurses have for physicians, especially residents, is also well-known.

It's not really an overstatement. I judge people on performance and, therefore, I do look down on many nurses. That doesn't mean that I look down on nurses BECAUSE they are nurses, however.

It's not really an overstatement. I judge people on performance and, therefore, I do look down on many nurses. That doesn't mean that I look down on nurses BECAUSE they are nurses, however.

Point taken and one I don't disagree with.

It is human nature, I think, to look down on those who don't work as hard as we do. I have the same disdain for the nurse who asks me (yet again) if the trauma patient *really* needs two IVs as I do for the CT scan tech who lies to me about the gantry weight limit because he's really too lazy to get some help to assist the patient on to the table. Its not because they are nurses or techs.

Then again, there are surgeons who look down on me because I "chose the easy lifestyle" (had some general surgeon try and transfer a patient to me when I was moonlighting when he busted out that comment. Way to get on my good side and get me to accept your loser transfer. :rolleyes:) Its a never ending process. I'll be even the hospital janitor looks down on someone.

Just to let you know, I look down on you because you're a wimmen.

Most nursing students are shorter than me so I look down on them.

Many female nursing students are pretty cute so I like that . . . I don't know what happens when they become nurses. Many male nursing students are about my age so I enjoy talking to them about guy stuff.

Overall, I really enjoy working with the nursing students because we are both in an open and ready-to-learn stage of our training and that makes for good professional relationships where we can learn a lot from each other about medicine and doctor-nurse interactions.

well, yeah.. I've been in that forum and all i can say is that hell to them..

I'm a freshman nursing student and hopefully i won't be treated that way in the future.

Nurses sometimes eat their young.

what the hell is that?:confused:

Most nursing students are shorter than me so I look down on them.

We all know you only take the time to look down on them when they're wearing a loose scrub top.

I am a third year nursing student, and the floor I am on for clinicals has many resident doctors. They are all very polite and work hard. Now I am wondering what they think of us nursing students coming onto their floor. From the threads that I have read on this forum, many doctors view nurses as inept, lazy, and all are conspiring to gang up on doctors to prove them wrong.

I am hard-working, conscientous, and would hate for anyone to view me that way. I hate to say it, but I know that there are huge differences in how some nursing students take studying seriously while others may go out and party. End result: There can be a huge difference in nurses' abilities and their work ethic (as there are in doctors). Please do not generalize all nurses. Many of us (the ones in my clinical group, for example) work very hard and work with the doctors. We also study so much it cuts into our socializing time. We sacrifice that time to work on what is important now. I want to know all I can to make the best decsions for my patients. However, I still have so much to learn and fear making mistakes all of the time. Just as residents and med. students worry about getting yelled at by their attending doctors, I fear getting yelled at by the grumpy charge nurse! We are supposed to be working as a team, and to what benefit is it to our patients if we work against one another.

Some janitors look down on nurses; some pharmacists look down on nurses and most high-wire circus performers "look down" on everyone. In short, the only behavior that you need to concern yourself with is your own behavior. The truth of the matter is that " No one can make you feel inferior without your permission". If you are feeling inferior, it is because you somehow "feel" that you are inferior and not because of the actions of others.

If you do your work and can work professionally with everyone from the janitor to the circus performer, then you are doing your job well. Most physicians do not "look down" on anyone. We actually don't have that kind of time to waste. So don't waste your time worrying about what other "think" or "do". You can't change anyone's behavior or thoughts except your own.

I am hard-working, conscientous, and would hate for anyone to view me that way

If that's true, you should be fine. I agre with what Tired said above. I don't look down on a nurse because of the title. I couldn't (or don't want to) do your job. We bitch about everyone in these forums. Most of the time, it's a way to get something off our chest in a relatively anonymous fashion.

I will say that I proably have more overall respect for nursing students, or younger nurses, though. To often I have found that more senior nurses have "checked out", and proceed through the day in a calculated series of well-rehearsed steps, with little critical thinking or adaptation. Younger nurses and students actually think about what they are doing, and ask relevant questions.

If you're looking for the other side of the coin, though, try a nursing forum. Maybe allnurses.com. There will be no shortage of threads bitching about doctors.

Erroneous generalizations for a Sunday morning:

Things that I do like about *some* nurses

1. "They" know what you should order, what you should say and what you should do in many situations
2. "They" teach procedures - IVs, changing dressings, etc.
3. "They" chat with you during down time while on-call, etc
4. "They" can usually give you an update about Brittney, J-Lo, or the local NFL team
5. "They" contain a set of people who are my friends, my friends significant others, and my friends potential significant others
6. There are a lot of frumpy old nurses...but, as pointed out earlier, man, there are also some very hot young nurses that clean up the hospital scenery a bit.

Okay, I started with the positives, now here are the negatives.

Things that I don't like about *some* nurses

1. Many smoke and eat pringles and talk about medical problems in a manner that is insulting to and below their own education level
2. "They" b*** about added work, the patient census, new patient's coming to the floor, patient's families, etc (yes, just like med students, interns, residents)
3. "They" complain when you order tests and treat the pt as though they have a medical problem. ("Are you really going to get a CT scan for this guy? He had one a month ago and he's fat. No way he could actually have a PE now")..Especially in the Emergency Room - I think if it was up to nursing they would immediately discharge half of the wrong pts and work up the other half of the wrong pts....which leads to my other problem - the opposite of #3
4. "They" freak out and run around pressuring interns/residents to "do something" when a pts BP is elevated or has a temp - even if there are no clinically apparent reasons to suspend reasoning and rush to treat something urgently
5. "They" gang up on everyone - you, every doctor not in front of them at the time, and even other nurses.
6. "They" say things like - why would you get an accucheck on a schizophrenic diabetic who comes in for a med-refill in the ED? "They" say things to residency-trained, tenured, well-published EM attendings like - "Is that MRI really Emergency Medicine?" Who the f do "they" think they are?

I deal with a few nurses that think they know it all and wonder why these young doctors can give them orders. I always tell them - If you want to fly the plane, you have to go to pilot school.

I don't look down on many people because I'm only 5'2" ;)

I also try to shy away from making gross generalizations like "nurses are lazy." (esp since my mom is a nurse!) In all professions (doctors included) there are wide variatons in ability and attitude. Having to work with some bad nurses at least make you appreciate the good ones that much more. I suspect nurses have the same feelings about us. I was once told by a nurse that I was "a good one." :)

It is human nature, I think, to look down on those who don't work as hard as we do. I have the same disdain for the nurse who asks me (yet again) if the trauma patient *really* needs two IVs as I do for the CT scan tech who lies to me about the gantry weight limit because he's really too lazy to get some help to assist the patient on to the table. Its not because they are nurses or techs.

Then again, there are surgeons who look down on me because I "chose the easy lifestyle" (had some general surgeon try and transfer a patient to me when I was moonlighting when he busted out that comment. Way to get on my good side and get me to accept your loser transfer. :rolleyes:) Its a never ending process. I'll be even the hospital janitor looks down on someone.

Totally agree. There are people who look down on me because I'm psych and therefore "not a real doctor." Whatever. I in turn look down on the ER doc who won't do a thorough exam/workup on psych patients because obviously they can't have any other medical problems besides their psych diagnosis. :rolleyes:

Heh, this could be an interesting exercise: who looks down on who and why.

I don't look down on many people because I'm only 5'2" ;)

I also try to shy away from making gross generalizations like "nurses are lazy." (esp since my mom is a nurse!) In all professions (doctors included) there are wide variatons in ability and attitude. Having to work with some bad nurses at least make you appreciate the good ones that much more. I suspect nurses have the same feelings about us. I was once told by a nurse that I was "a good one." :)

Totally agree. There are people who look down on me because I'm psych and therefore "not a real doctor." Whatever. I in turn look down on the ER doc who won't do a thorough exam/workup on psych patients because obviously they can't have any other medical problems besides their psych diagnosis. :rolleyes:

Based on the high job satisfaction and late retirement age seen in psych you can rest assured that you will rarely regret your choice.

I try to look down on psych based on the experience I had with the miserable psych residents during my residency, but my best friend/med school roommate is a recently graduated psychiatrist and she won't let me!:laugh:

I try to look down on psych based on the experience I had with the miserable psych residents during my residency, but my best friend/med school roommate is a recently graduated psychiatrist and she won't let me!:laugh:

I pity the miserable residents rather than look down on them :laugh:

Miserableness is all about context though. The same miserable surgery residents who made my friends' 3rd year rotation a living hell at the county hospital were all sunshine and happiness when I did my rotation with them later at the cushy community hospital. Around these parts, we are crankiest at the VA, and comparatively happy elsewhere.

Erroneous generalizations for a Sunday morning:

Things that I do like about *some* nurses

1. "They" know what you should order, what you should say and what you should do in many situations
2. "They" teach procedures - IVs, changing dressings, etc.
3. "They" chat with you during down time while on-call, etc
4. "They" can usually give you an update about Brittney, J-Lo, or the local NFL team
5. "They" contain a set of people who are my friends, my friends significant others, and my friends potential significant others
6. There are a lot of frumpy old nurses...but, as pointed out earlier, man, there are also some very hot young nurses that clean up the hospital scenery a bit.

Okay, I started with the positives, now here are the negatives.

Things that I don't like about *some* nurses

1. Many smoke and eat pringles and talk about medical problems in a manner that is insulting to and below their own education level
2. "They" b*** about added work, the patient census, new patient's coming to the floor, patient's families, etc (yes, just like med students, interns, residents)
3. "They" complain when you order tests and treat the pt as though they have a medical problem. ("Are you really going to get a CT scan for this guy? He had one a month ago and he's fat. No way he could actually have a PE now")..Especially in the Emergency Room - I think if it was up to nursing they would immediately discharge half of the wrong pts and work up the other half of the wrong pts....which leads to my other problem - the opposite of #3
4. "They" freak out and run around pressuring interns/residents to "do something" when a pts BP is elevated or has a temp - even if there are no clinically apparent reasons to suspend reasoning and rush to treat something urgently
5. "They" gang up on everyone - you, every doctor not in front of them at the time, and even other nurses.
6. "They" say things like - why would you get an accucheck on a schizophrenic diabetic who comes in for a med-refill in the ED? "They" say things to residency-trained, tenured, well-published EM attendings like - "Is that MRI really Emergency Medicine?" Who the f do "they" think they are?

i tell my interns that at times, the medicine is easy, it's getting it done that's the hard part. you've learned a lot already (according to your status as "medical student").

I in turn look down on the ER doc who won't do a thorough exam/workup on psych patients because obviously they can't have any other medical problems besides their psych diagnosis. :rolleyes:

I look down on psych residents because, at my hospital, they actively seek out reasons to beef up medical conditions in order to have patients transferred off of their service. That is, they're lazy.

I'm sorry, but a blood sugar of 120 and a potassium of 3.9 are not reasons to transfer to or even consult the medicine team. Take away their cookies and give them a banana. End of story.

If you have an inpatient service and you want to be treated like real doctors, then treat conditions that even the 3rd-year medical student could handle without supervision. That's exactly what I did on my inpatient psych rotation as a 3rd-year, when I refused to place a medicine consult for a BP of 150/90.

See, this may surprise you guys but I have no problem whatsoever with Psych residents. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's a HUGE pain to get them to see your patients for consults and sometimes they really try hard to block psych patients from coming to them. But I can't say they're not "real doctors" because even if I'm not into Psych I definitely can't argue they deal with psychiatric patients and better than me; this is in contrast to the EM guys I have no respect for because they just call everyone else to deal with "their" patients and don't really do much of anything (other than see Fast-track patients for fairly simple things, if you want to brag about THAT).

Many of the nurses I know are hard-working and caring. I especially appreciate the nurses who listen to me (the medical student) when I tell them my patient is in pain and ask them if they can get their PRN pain meds ASAP. What I don't like is the nurse who responds to my "Has patient A received her morning IV Bactrim dose yet? She'd really like to take a shower and can't until she has." and the nurse snaps back at me (in a singsong voice), "No, because she was off the floor until 9:30." Now keep in mind that at this point it's 10:30. The Bactrim is sitting in the med room waiting to be hung. What, exactly, has occupied you for the last hour such that you could not give it and note that in your Medex? That should be, at most, a 3 minute procedure? Any nurses care to correct me?

I look down on psych residents because, at my hospital, they actively seek out reasons to beef up medical conditions in order to have patients transferred off of their service. That is, they're lazy.

I'm sorry, but a blood sugar of 120 and a potassium of 3.9 are not reasons to transfer to or even consult the medicine team. Take away their cookies and give them a banana. End of story.

If you have an inpatient service and you want to be treated like real doctors, then treat conditions that even the 3rd-year medical student could handle without supervision. That's exactly what I did on my inpatient psych rotation as a 3rd-year, when I refused to place a medicine consult for a BP of 150/90.
Law #8: They can always hurt you more. -The Fat Man
"Florida! That's America's wang!" - Homer

Interesting that your signature quotes a book written by (gasp) a psychiatrist. ;)

We also study so much it cuts into our socializing time. We sacrifice that time to work on what is important now.

Oh my god, I had no idea that you guys worked that hard. Your studying cuts into your social time?

We all know you only take the time to look down on them when they're wearing a loose scrub top.

True.:thumbup:

I especially appreciate the nurses who listen to me (the medical student)

I'd be willing to submit this as a poll to the allopathic forum: do you (medical students) think nurses listen to you? The answers would be "yes," "no," and "isn't it illegal for you to be smoking crack?"

Are you being sarcastic about me studying so much that it cuts into my social time? I work extremely hard. Many of my friends do too. I may be a little more on the extreme, but there is always more to learn. I have always been one who wants to learn more. (I also plan on possibly becoming a nurse practitioner, so I really need to know my stuff.) I want to understand exactly what I'm doing and why. You can never learn too much when you are given the responsibility of a person's life...which is amazing and extremely scary at the same time.

I want to thank those of you who responded positively. As one poster mentioned, I shouldn't care what others think, which is so true. It was just very disheartening to think that I have such a passion for helping my patients, therefore I work so hard to excel and learn all I can...and then to be prejudged by coworkers. I am glad to know that most do not do this and prefer to work as a team.
I certainly hope to find coworkers like this next year.

I'd be willing to submit this as a poll to the allopathic forum: do you (medical students) think nurses listen to you? The answers would be "yes," "no," and "isn't it illegal for you to be smoking crack?"

Our hospital makes a big deal about pain, so they do listen to me when I mention that a patient has pain since they know I'll document the pain and that they will then be expected to intervene and reassess/document within 1 hour. It helps that the nurses I've worked with over the last month know that I'm on top of my patient's complaints.

You'd be surprised what a respectfully delivered, "I know you are really busy, but patient A is (having pain, needing help, etc) and I thought I'd let you know" will accomplish with even the surliest of nurses.

If you work in the ER, ICU, or OB, you are likely to demand more respect because in many cases you have more experience than the doctor.

However, it is when a nurse with less medical training tries to argue with a doctor that problems occur.

Just the other day, I had a nurse continually say the patient had "venous stenosis." The patient clearly had "venous stasis" and the nurse wanted to argue the point.

Just the other day, I had a nurse continually say the patient had "venous stenosis." The patient clearly had "venous stasis" and the nurse wanted to argue the point.

Heard a PACU nurse get into an argument with a floor nurse, insisting that the patient had gotten a "knee arthroscopy". The floor nurse kept asking why the patient was being admitted, why he was on a CPM machine, and why he was non-weight bearing, if all he had was a knee scope.

PACU: "That's their protocol!"
<pause while the floor nurse talked>
PACU: "Yes, I'm sure he didn't have a knee arthroplasty! I don't know why you're arguing with me. I'm reading it right here on the op note!"

Yeah, he had a knee arthroplasty.

Point taken on the nurse arguing with the doc. over the venous "stenosis" thing, and yes, I know the term is venous stasis... :)

Though as a newbie, I'm sure I'll make some dumb mistakes myself...which I am NOT looking forward to.

Though as a newbie, I'm sure I'll make some dumb mistakes myself...which I am NOT looking forward to.

Of course you will. We all have, and will continue to make mistakes. Expect to be eviscerated once in a while because of them, and expect that at least some of those mistakes will hurt (and possibly kill) your patients.

It's the nature of the beast.

It was just very disheartening to think that I have such a passion for helping my patients, therefore I work so hard to excel and learn all I can...and then to be prejudged by coworkers.

Get off your high horse. I'm the one who busts on nurses and EM physicians the most around here and I don't prejudge them. I let them do their thing and treat them accordingly. If you're that conscientious and dedicated and hard-working, then nobody's going to have an issue with you. However, if you're waiting for us to say that, based on you, we changed our minds and nurses are awesome and not lazy at all, you're going to be waiting a long time.

Are you being sarcastic about me studying so much that it cuts into my social time? I work extremely hard.

While I cannot speak for the person who made the comment, I must admit that your statement struck me as rather amusing.

Not to get all "I'm older so listen to me" on ya, but being a grown-up means sacrificing some of your social time for other responsibilities, including work, family, and yes, even studying. Every single one of us here studied so much that it cut into our social time. We wouldn't have gotten into medical school and beyond if we hadn't.

Few adults find that they can socialize as much as they did in HS and college when they have other responsibilities. Those that do tend to be the 40 yo with a job (not a career) and a less than stellar home life. We've all seen those guys...still hanging around the fraternity house, working the keg, ogling girls young enough to be their daughter while still punching a time clock.

I'm sure you're a very hard-working girl but to make a statement that "I work so hard that I don't have time socialize" comes across as a bit immature and ignorant of the life of most professional adults.

What's wrong with ogling young wimmen? SCHWING! Also, breasts.

Eh, I guess that came out wrong. I've made these sacrifices since high school (super type A personality.) I guess I just meant that it takes up an enormous amount of time, more than my peers who are going into the same field.

Fineline,

You're going to be single forever. You know that, right?

Fineline,

You're going to be single forever. You know that, right?

Sweet, no alimony and also I can keep plowing the wimmen! I win again!