Do all MBA programs require experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreekIsleSunset

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if MBA programs outside of the dual MD/MBA require work experience. I would like to go straight out of undergrad. Any suggestions for schools?

Oh, I took the GMAT-scored 708, & my gpa is 3.65.

Members don't see this ad.

GreekIsleSunset said:
I am wondering if MBA programs outside of the dual MD/MBA require work experience. I would like to go straight out of undergrad. Any suggestions for schools?

for the better programs, yes, they do. You have good #s but you need the work experience to match.

GreekIsleSunset said:

when did you find an opportunity to squeeze in the gmat along with the mcat? the gmat is why im not applying to b schools until after i apply to med schools, when ill have a chance to take the test. mba programs outside of the dual degree are difficult to get into without a few years of work experience, and the top ones are out of the question pretty much from what i know. b school isnt typically something thats done straight from undergrad, its more of a career enhancement tool.

Members don't see this ad :)
GreekIsleSunset said:

There is actually an active push among many of the top business schools to admit students with less experience. Not that they think less experience is better, but they believe that by having unwritten rules about the need for years of experience, they are scaring off many qualified people.

I was also told by an admissions officer at a top business school that they do not usually expect as many years from MD/MBAs because they recognize what a huge time commitment the MD is.

I know of several people accepted at top business schools without any work experience. They are even beginning to take people directly out of undergrad!

Shredder said:
when did you find an opportunity to squeeze in the gmat along with the mcat? the gmat is why im not applying to b schools until after i apply to med schools, when ill have a chance to take the test. mba programs outside of the dual degree are difficult to get into without a few years of work experience, and the top ones are out of the question pretty much from what i know. b school isnt typically something thats done straight from undergrad, its more of a career enhancement tool.
Since I'm taking the MCAT a semester earlier than usual (august b4 junior year) I am planning to take it in April of my junior year barring an MCAT disaster. I have an appointment with both a b-school and med advisor so I will see whats up.

Raheem said:
There is actually an active push among many of the top business schools to admit students with less experience. Not that they think less experience is better, but they believe that by having unwritten rules about the need for years of experience, they are scaring off many qualified people.

I was also told by an admissions officer at a top business school that they do not usually expect as many years from MD/MBAs because they recognize what a huge time commitment the MD is.

I know of several people accepted at top business schools without any work experience. They are even beginning to take people directly out of undergrad!

I'm not sure this will ever happen globally or that most of the "top business" schools are in fact even on board with this. For one thing, it will screw up their US News rankings which take into account starting salaries out of business school -- which obviously are higher for those who return to the same job/industry after business school (often to a degree reflective raise or promotion). For another, a significant portion of each business school class has their tuition covered by their former/current job, and so their might be some financial discouragement to people coming directly out of undergrad which would offset any discouragement which previously was caused by the required experience level. Finally, the MBA is more helpful as an "add on" level of knowledge, rather than trying to give someone a totally new skill set. Most business schools recognize that the most important business lessons are not learned in the classroom, and it is thus helpful for people to show up with experiences to share and build on. (This notion is also part of the reason for the popularity of the numerous "executive MBA" programs popping up nationally).

how good is rockhurst university mba program? generally in the area it looks to be a nice program, and since there is a dual program to get the mba along with the medical degree all in 4 yrs, it is tempting. i am interested in the mba because i want to go into fp.

thanks.