This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannabeGP

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I got accepted to both Des Moines University and Touro University-CA. I was hoping for some input into which to choose. I've seen a few threads about these schools on here but my situation is a bit different and I can't decide considering my pros and cons for both schools. If I'm missing any other considerations please let me know!

I am considering an MPH alongside my DO to work towards better health care access/affordability. Both schools have similar cost for their MPH programs (26,400 [Touro] vs. ~32k [DMU]) but pursuing an MPH depends on where I go. I was born and raised in the California Central Valley. Not married, no kids.
-quite a bit cheaper overall
-experience living in a new state/get to leave California (!!)
-nicer campus w/ plenty of areas to study
-snow might be fun?
-it looks like they have a nice gym which I'm pretty hyped about- I usually spend 3-4 mornings a week working out
-I heard the curriculum was adjusted to be easier for first years and that current first years are surprised at how manageable the workload is

Cons:
-I'd need a different car (mine is 17 yrs old w/ front wheel drive)
-letter grading
-cold weather/snow may not actually be great to live in
-MPH program is a separate 39-45 units (6 units may be covered by DO degree) so I may not end up doing it if I go to DMU depending on the workload
-I still do not know a lot about DMU since I haven't gotten to interact with their faculty or students very much and can't visit campus rn
-I have no family or friends nearby (but I'm happy to meet new friends!)

-Pass/fail grading is pretty nice
-Faculty/administration seem very supportive (this is probably true for DMU as well but all Touro-CA students I met have mentioned this)
-integrated DO/MPH program means fewer units to get the MPH
-weather is mild
-opportunities to continue with the type of research I was doing (metabolic, diabetes, etc) if my schedule allows it
-I like the diabetes mobile education center they have and would want to join that
-close to a lot of cool places (SF, Napa Valley, Berkeley, etc)
-DO education is heavy on public health aspects

Cons:
-more expensive
-not a lot of places to study on campus
-crime is high in Vallejo, even near Touro's campus
-campus isn't great
-fires; not necessarily fire on the island but there could be a lot of smoke during fire season and my respiratory health isn't the best bc I grew up in the valley
-I really dislike the bay area
-I do not want to stay in California
-they only have an outdoor gym (but are working on an indoor one- no idea how good it'll be)
-cannot find their match list online and am not sure how good their rotations are

Thanks for reading and for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly you'll be successful at either one, both of those schools have their stuff together especially relative to the new DO schools.

I'm getting close to finishing my first term of OMS1 and the proximity of my school to my friends and family has been monumental in my success this first term. If you're a person who relies on that, definitely go to Touro-CA. If you don't rely on that stuff, I'd say go to DMU.

Essentially, I would prioritize your ability to succeed in school first, then prioritize things like money, where you plan to do your residency, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
After reading your pros and cons, I think you're leaning towards DMU-COM because you really don't want to stay in California. I would echo the same sentiments above that you should question whether proximity to friends and family is truly important or if you're willing to leave California for a new experience and lower costs. I am from California myself, but I have lived in the Midwest area before and I did not like snow at all... This is just my opinion, but I don't think snow is all that great after awhile. If an integrated DO/MPH is what you're interested in, then I would prefer whichever the is shortest route. I would inquire more about DMU-COM or hopefully someone from that school can comment on this thread to give you more insight since you at least have insight on Touro-CA. Either way, you're going to succeed at either school if you work hard. Congrats, and good luck! :)

Hello everyone!
I got accepted to both Des Moines University and Touro University-CA. I was hoping for some input into which to choose. I've seen a few threads about these schools on here but my situation is a bit different and I can't decide considering my pros and cons for both schools. If I'm missing any other considerations please let me know!

I am considering an MPH alongside my DO to work towards better health care access/affordability. Both schools have similar cost for their MPH programs (26,400 [Touro] vs. ~32k [DMU]) but pursuing an MPH depends on where I go. I was born and raised in the California Central Valley. Not married, no kids.
-quite a bit cheaper overall
-experience living in a new state/get to leave California (!!)
-nicer campus w/ plenty of areas to study
-snow might be fun?
-Trader Joe's and ALDI in town (I actually looked for these when determining schools to apply to)
-it looks like they have a nice gym which I'm pretty hyped about- I usually spend 3-4 mornings a week working out
-I heard the curriculum was adjusted to be easier for first years and that current first years are surprised at how manageable the workload is
-much better air quality
-DMU's purple is my favorite color lol

Cons:
-I'd need a different car (mine is 17 yrs old w/ front wheel drive)
-letter grading
-cold weather/snow may not actually be great to live in lol
-MPH program is a separate 39-45 units (6 units may be covered by DO degree) so I may not end up doing it if I go to DMU depending on the workload
-I still do not know a lot about DMU since I haven't gotten to interact with their faculty or students very much and can't visit campus rn
-I have no family or friends nearby (but I'm happy to meet new friends!)

-Pass/fail grading is pretty nice
-Faculty/administration seem very supportive (this is probably true for DMU as well but all Touro-CA students I met have mentioned this)
-integrated DO/MPH program means only 12 more units (and $26k) to get the MPH
-weather is mild
-opportunities to continue with the type of research I was doing (metabolic, diabetes, etc) if my schedule allows it
-I like the diabetes mobile education center they have and would want to join that
-close to a lot of cool places (SF, Napa Valley, Berkeley, etc)
-DO education is heavy on public health aspects

Cons:
-more expensive
-not a lot of places to study on campus
-crime is high in Vallejo, even near Touro's campus
-campus isn't great
-fires; not necessarily fire on the island but there could be a lot of smoke during fire season and my respiratory health isn't the best bc I grew up in the valley
-I really dislike the bay area
-I do not want to stay in California
-they only have an outdoor gym (but are working on an indoor one- no idea how good it'll be)
-cannot find their match list online and am not sure how good their rotations are

Thanks for reading and for any input!
No brainer: what do you like more?
SF seafood and Napa wines, or fried Snickers bars at the Iowa state fair and pork tenderloin????

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly you'll be successful at either one, both of those schools have their stuff together especially relative to the new DO schools.

I'm getting close to finishing my first term of OMS1 and the proximity of my school to my friends and family has been monumental in my success this first term. If you're a person who relies on that, definitely go to Touro-CA. If you don't rely on that stuff, I'd say go to DMU.

Essentially, I would prioritize your ability to succeed in school first, then prioritize things like money, where you plan to do your residency, etc.
Thank you for your reply! I have considered this, and my boyfriend is my main support system but he's moving to Florida no matter what. It would be nice to be near my parents and I have friends that'd be like an hour away from Vallejo (although I doubt I'll be taking many trips while I'm in med school). I do definitely feel this is a big factor in my decision and it's making me lean Touro the more I consider it.
After reading your pros and cons, I think you're leaning towards DMU-COM because you really don't want to stay in California. I would echo the same sentiments above that you should question whether proximity to friends and family is truly important or if you're willing to leave California for a new experience and lower costs. I am from California myself, but I have lived in the Midwest area before and I did not like snow at all... This is just my opinion, but I don't think snow is all that great after awhile. If an integrated DO/MPH is what you're interested in, then I would prefer whichever the is shortest route. I would inquire more about DMU-COM or hopefully someone from that school can comment on this thread to give you more insight since you at least have insight on Touro-CA. Either way, you're going to succeed at either school if you work hard. Congrats, and good luck! :)
Thank you for your reply! The biggest downsides for DMU are the MPH being a bit tougher and the snow for me. I am really not sure how I would like living in a cold area since I have a low tolerance for cold. Like, genetic condition that gives me lower tolerance to extreme weather. I have some student emails from the interviews with both schools I can send them a few question. I just hate to talk to them and ask for their time when they seem so busy haha.
No brainer: what do you like more?
SF seafood and Napa wines, or fried Snickers bars at the Iowa state fair and pork tenderloin????
Thank you for your reply! By those criteria I would lean Touro.. not a big fan of fried candy bars or pork haha
I am a student at DMU, feel free to PM me with any questions you may have :)
Thank you!! I will do just that :)

• Haha