##--DMU Class Of 2010--## part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How I understood it was that it was either in heparin naive pts or if only small time had lapsed between doses.

slower response is if they have been off it for a long time.

Thanks for the help! That definitely would make sense, but I can't get over what he says here:

"So the rapid type is what you're going to see in somebody who has been on heparin for a little bit. Or if you're naive or it's been a long time, you're more likely to see that typical presentation."

He probably just misspoke, or I'm interpreting it wrong. I'll probably email him to make certain.

Members don't see this ad.

I received a very quick response.

Rapid onset is seen in pts. who received heparin for a brief period of time, were taken off for a few days, and then restarted the heparin therapy.

Typical onset is seen in heparin naive pts. and those given heparin, then taken off for an extended period of time (months), and then re-exposed to Heparin.

Hopefully, that clears things up for anyone out there.

On a side note, how about that Spring Schedule?! (insert sarcasm)

102 (guess from Dr. D)questions on the optional cardio exam. WOW! (2 per lecture). Is it worth it??? I've already forgotten how to read an EKG.

BTW, wife is out of town for a week...the cat is away and the mouse will be studying. Except for Sat night....Halo party at the house. DJ, I know you want some of this. :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
102 (guess from Dr. D)questions on the optional cardio exam. WOW! (2 per lecture). Is it worth it??? I've already forgotten how to read an EKG.

BTW, wife is out of town for a week...the cat is away and the mouse will be studying. Except for Sat night....Halo party at the house. DJ, I know you want some of this. :horns:
I'm all over that like a donkey on a waffle...

Seriously, hook me up with some directions to your place and I'll be there! I need to do some practicing before Saturday- who am I kidding I'm just gonna get
pwned.jpg

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=460266

Go ahead and scroll down to #23...

Shame on all you freaking Mormons on medicaid.

Ooooo Ooooo, can I become Mormon too so I can learn how to abuse the system???? What a joke that post was, seriously.

In related news, does this post resemble the messages of a certain
1920s-30s German dictator to anyone else? Pretty soon the bad economy, high unemployment rate and the fact that the country isn't advancing as quickly as it should be will all be blamed on you guys....:laugh:

Sorry, instead of 'you guys' I should have said 'You People'. ;)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=460266

Go ahead and scroll down to #23...

Shame on all you freaking Mormons on medicaid.

he/she is probably the reason we have all of those stupid "professionalism" lectures everyday. A real beauty!

Does anyone know how Dr. Shumate tests? I'm confused about his material.

BTW, I'm so sick of respiratory right now, I'm refusing to breath anymore.

Oh wait..............................................

Well, I'll have to say that I found out about 100X more than I thought I would in that meeting, so I was pleasantly surprised. What did everyone else think of the meeting and what are you guys thinking about for rotations?

Would anyone like to chime in (3rd or 4th years) on what to expect from Shumate? He's great but hard to read.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of a good review from the first year of OMM? Am I correct in the assumption that OMM exam is from both years?

The best OMM review is honestly the binder of notes you got in both 1st & 2nd year. I used it almost as my sole source of OMM review for boards & I was completely prepared for the OMM questions on the COMLEX.

If you want to practice some good, very board & exam relevant questions then use the Saverse (sp?) book. I didn't buy it, but did use it to study before M2 2nd OMM exam when I studied w/ others & it helped to see what questions could be.

The best OMM review is honestly the binder of notes you got in both 1st & 2nd year. I used it almost as my sole source of OMM review for boards & I was completely prepared for the OMM questions on the COMLEX.

If you want to practice some good, very board & exam relevant questions then use the Saverse (sp?) book. I didn't buy it, but did use it to study before M2 2nd OMM exam when I studied w/ others & it helped to see what questions could be.

We don't get a binder for second year anymore :-(. Instead we get print outs which, sometimes keep to the lectures and sometimes don't.

We don't get a binder for second year anymore :-(. Instead we get print outs which, sometimes keep to the lectures and sometimes don't.

what binder are you talking about? They gave us a binder last year?

No lecture, No noteset, No Problem!!!!! :thumbdown:

There is a notepool from last year though and looks like he didn't change anything, or at least I hope.

No lecture, No noteset, No Problem!!!!! :thumbdown:

There is a notepool from last year though and looks like he didn't change anything, or at least I hope.

haha, I just like the fact that there are going to be "3" questions....so there could be "5" maybe "6" or maybe...its all theoretical and the questions don't even exist....

haha, I just like the fact that there are going to be "3" questions....so there could be "5" maybe "6" or maybe...its all theoretical and the questions don't even exist....

I'm actually going to venture a guess and say that all "48" questions will be from that lecture...ahem PowerPoint. :laugh:

Could someone come over to my house, slap me in the face, AND MOTIVATE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pantera_vulgar_display_of_power_fro.jpg

On a lighter note, congrats Soundman on the new baby boy! :thumbup:

word, congrats soundman!

I'm going to sleep now, because Hicklin says it's healthy. That's about how much I got out of his lecture anyway - Sleep = good.

nite ya'll, 1 week 'til Turkey Day...

guidorly2.JPG

I have no idea how I'm going to learn all of the neoplastic drugs by tomorrow. Unbelieveable how many there are! I can't keep them straight. That's what I get for saving Pharm until after Respiratory on Friday... which was fun.

I have no idea how I'm going to learn all of the neoplastic drugs by tomorrow. Unbelieveable how many there are! I can't keep them straight. That's what I get for saving Pharm until after Respiratory on Friday... which was fun.

I so love when the blackboard site goes down....LOVE IT!!!

Does anyone know if anyone was granted a special circumstance exemption this year?

Hey guys, I'm not sure if you're big "Black Friday" shoppers or not, but I figured I'd let you know about where all of the big deals will be before Thanksgiving day.

www.bfads.net

Go here and you can page through all of the door-buster ads before they're released to the public. jbone, I know you are in the market for ANOTHER TV and there's plenty available all around.

Have a restful Turkey day everyone...

Dr. Spreadbury would have teared up watching me eat last night. 9am the next morning, I still feel like I'm going to explode. :thumbup:

I really hope one of these Heme lecturers will cover iron and folate/B12 anemias. They haven't even touched them yet!

I laughed out loud, a lot...then I quickly checked over my shoulder to make sure the misses didn't see.

haha I showed the misses, she enjoyed the laugh and then offered the possible consequences of such an action: no sex... I guess I will have to have jbone continue to carry my beer for me. At least I know he will always put out :love:

Oh and Iowa here I come!! Wait, I am already here....hahaah. I know its going to be hard enough for me with the wife working in west des moines if I have to move to one of the midwest states (hell on my check book for two apartments if it comes to that) but how are you guys with the families going to manage?

Fear The MT(ASCP) Baby!!

Anybody else think we could pack in some of these lectures and get an extra week off? Ugh...:thumbdown:

Kill me.

please

I guess I get to feel the wrath of heme tomorrow.

It's a 9.5lb boy.

All of these are true, EXCEPT!!...that statement will forever haunt my dreams...

I guess we have the 10% of our grade paper to make up for it....hahaah.

Frickin 75% average... :laugh::laugh::laugh:unbelievable... I should've known when Strom started talking about the 40 point paper that "could help your grade IF it needs it" that this class would suck. I didn't think the 1st test was all that bad though-

Oh well, at least it's a "snow day" today. Wonder how we'll catch up on the lectures. Afternoon classes anyone?

Frickin 75% average... :laugh::laugh::laugh:unbelievable... I should've known when Strom started talking about the 40 point paper that "could help your grade IF it needs it" that this class would suck. I didn't think the 1st test was all that bad though-

Oh well, at least it's a "snow day" today. Wonder how we'll catch up on the lectures. Afternoon classes anyone?

Agreed. The first test, not too bad really. I even felt confident about the class after it - clearly false hopes. That 2nd test treated me like a $2 hooker. The Dr. who wrote the first 8 questions should never be allowed to write his own questions by the way.

Agreed. The first test, not too bad really. I even felt confident about the class after it - clearly false hopes. That 2nd test treated me like a $2 hooker. The Dr. who wrote the first 8 questions should never be allowed to write his own questions by the way.

After the first test I thought, oh, easy A. After the second test I am thinking, maybe a B? I never had a score that low at DMU. Thank you heme for giving me another reason not to want to specialize.

2 years of Hematology in undergrad....worthless:thumbdown:

1.5 years of Immunohematology during undergrad....worthless:thumbdown:

3.5 years clinical experience as a MT in a children's hospital laboratory (including Heme/Onc and blood banking)....worthless:thumbdown:

Working towards a masters degree in hematopathology at a world renowned research institution in Hematology (including research)....worthless:thumbdown:

71 WTF moments on a poorly written exam....PRICELESS!!!!!

Soccer_Cat.jpg

PS-ARE WE THERE YET?????????????

Last edited: