Digital cameras

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
89edoctor said:
In fact I find that my camera can focus the object within about 2.5-3.00 cm.

But should I change another with the macro focus range 1-2cm?

Macro of 2.5-3.00 works well. Closer requires a steady hand. Although you get larger photos with decreased macro focus range, there is increased blur due to tremor.

My camera only has a macro of 4 cm. All the photos taken in this article was with a macro of 4 cm:

http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/eyeforum/photography.htm

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Doan,thank you very much.

looking forward to starting next week, one more intern call to go.
after reading this board, went to amazon and bought a canon s410 for $249. cant wait to take some nice eye photos.

Members don't see this ad :)
jamblix said:
looking forward to starting next week, one more intern call to go.
after reading this board, went to amazon and bought a canon s410 for $249. cant wait to take some nice eye photos.

It takes practice, but you can take really nice photos for presentations, documentation, and teaching purposes. Good luck! :thumbup:

I invite you to read my blog about physicians and technology:

http://medrounds.blogspot.com/2005/06/are-physicians-resistant-to-new.html

Anyone billing ins. for these photos? 92285?

Andrew_Doan said:
Yes. I know ophthalmologists who bill for photos taken in this manner.

Is there a published description of what this CPT will pay on. I mean you can't just take a photo of every cataract and expect to be paid for them. Obviously you need to have reason to document something with photos. What I don't know is if anyone knows of a criteria that has been published?

Andrew_Doan said:
Yes. I know ophthalmologists who bill for photos taken in this manner.

Andrew,

I keep getting a lot of minification, any suggestions? I'm using a coolpix.

jchod said:
Andrew,

I keep getting a lot of minification, any suggestions? I'm using a coolpix.

The lens of the camera needs to be at the right distance away from the ocular. You must pull away until you see a full picture on your LCD.

Post the photos here so I can see what you have done.

Best regards,
Andy D.

I seem to having trouble getting the focus, is this just a matter of practice? These are the best of about ten I tried to get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry. I read you paper, very helpful. Do you set the "function" to digital MACRO or do you use it in the "manual" mode but turn on the macro button? Also do you use the macro setting through the slitlamp as well as just taking up-close photos. And lastly, do you have the AF-assist beam on or off?

Attachments

• Cat Ib.JPG
    Cat Ib.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Cat IIb.JPG
    Cat IIb.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Cat IIIb.JPG
    Cat IIIb.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 90
These photos are a good start! AF-Assist beam is ON.

Don't worry about the photos being small, because these cameras have high resolutions and the photos can be cropped and magnified digitally without losing detail.

Turn OFF the AiAF focusing so you have center focus (center box on the LCD that turns green when image is focues and yellow when out of focus - feature on the Canon Powershots).

When you turn on the MACRO mode, just make sure the "flower icon" is in the LCD. Some Canons switch to Manual mode. You can still have auto ISO in this manual setting.

MACRO is used for external close-up of the eye AND for the slit lamp shots. Also try using diffuse lighting with a Finhoff Transilluminator. I balance the Finhoff on the center arm of the slit lamp, and it improves photo quality greatly.

If you do this during residency, then you'll have great photos for your rounds of On Call patients.

Good luck!

do you think getting 7.1 MP (vs. 5 MP) in the SD500 makes it worth the extra $150? will there be any appreciable difference in terms of ophthalmic photography? i'd appreciate any opinions.

Dr Doan.

Now,I get a nickon 7600 with a 512 mb SD.
The photos of the eyelid and cornea without the siltlamp are more better than the photos from nickon 4100.

The photos I take through the siltlamp always blur.So boring....

nickon 7600:Macro focus range 4cm;No manual focus ,too;

710 mp (I usually use 500 mp/nickon 7600,or 200 mp/nickon 4100).

I can share the cases` photos I meet with other ophthalmologists smoothly.
And ,I have give my nickon 4100 to my wife ,she is a Gyn.

Taking through the slit lamp is tricky because the patient needs to hold still while you focus through the eye piece. I often take several shots before I get one that is the perfect shot. Post some of your photos.

I find that I can take the good photos when the lamp of the slitlamp is very bright,espesilly without slit mode.
Sorry.Because I use other`s computer ,I couldn`t send my photos now.
I will send them later,and I am very glad to share them with others.

I feel that focusing the corneal lesion is harder than iris through the slitlamp.

But several photos I took through the operating microscope are also OK(about phaco-operation).

ok!

Attachments

• 无标题4.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 92
Andrew_Doan said:
Taking through the slit lamp is tricky because the patient needs to hold still while you focus through the eye piece. I often take several shots before I get one that is the perfect shot. Post some of your photos.

I, too, have some trouble with through the slit lamp. It looks like my shutter speed is always at 1/15 or 1/30 especially for cobalt blue lighting. I't also difficult to get the patient to sit still when the patient is blinking from the discomfort or pain.

See picture.

Richard_Hom

Attachments

• Large_Central_Abrasion.jpg
    Large_Central_Abrasion.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 107
If the patient is blinking a lot or has pain, then place some anesthetic drops in the eye to take the photo. This is a photo I took of a corneal abrasion (no stain).

Attachments

• abrasion.jpg
    abrasion.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 142
have u gotten any new tech gagets andrew? the new canon sd700 has image stabilzation (but at $500) and promises higher iso, which would allow lower exposture times i.e. 1/60 and less motion blur.

Sometimes it's just better to use my ring light and use macro mode.

Attachments

• VisuallySignificantPterygiumCopy.jpg
    VisuallySignificantPterygiumCopy.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 116
Yogi Bear said:
have u gotten any new tech gagets andrew? the new canon sd700 has image stabilzation (but at $500) and promises higher iso, which would allow lower exposture times i.e. 1/60 and less motion blur.

I haven't upgraded my camera. I am still using the Canon S230 Elph and it works great.

Let me know if you learn more about the SD700.

I currently use an adapter between camera and slit lamp, it has worked pretty well. Only problem is my nikon is not evenly balanced so the adapter can rotate in the ocular (a few layers of micropore tape around the adapter fixed that). Perfect stability and external photos, even some ONH pics through a superfield. IMO, a great way to go (if you use a portable cam), Im still trying to imagine taking a photo at the slit lamp without it:confused:

My two cents:

I had the canon SD110 for a few years but didn't like it due to the lack of zoom (2x versus 3x with the better models), small viewscreen, and bad shell material (it got discolored after I put it in a leather case. I think they have since fixed this problem).

THEN

The SD110 was drenched with sea water and it stopped working. My old SD110 had been off warranty for over a year by this point.

The good news:

It turns out that canon has a great loyalty program. In return for my broken sd110 and an extra $140, they sent me an SD600, with 6 month warranty (factory refurbished, but its like new). Apparently they offer this to anyone, good to know for all you canon owners out there whose cameras may break.

And a tip on memory - CompUSA is closing down for good, so you could get a good deal on memory if there's a store near you. I got a 1 gig SD card there a couple weeks ago for $12. It's probably all gone by now, but worth a look.

Anyone have any experience with the current Canon models on the market? I am considering the SD750.