Retina Video "selfie" with cell phone camera

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epalacios

SCO Class of 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a neat video I captured of my retina on my cell phone camera after practicing dilated in the optometry labs. I used only the cell phone and my 20D lens. I thought I would share with you all, as it came out really great:

The LED light on the phone's video camera lined up nicely, and the view was fantastic. Could be a great patient education tool.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you do it in a mirror? or do trial and error with the cameras front facing lens pointing at you?

Used a mirror. I could see what was on the screen with my other eye to make corrections to the working distance.
Pretty neat trick. Perhaps it could have some clinical use, as it's relatively inexpensive compared to other imaging technologies. Especially with the recent focus on telemedicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's pretty cool.

What distance was the lens from the eye approximately? Similar to where you would place the lens for an indirect? Thanks!

It is a slightly shorter working distance than what you would have for a head-mounted BIO, due to different optics in the cell phone camera.

I've actually used this while on my consult rotation so I could show an attending a retinal finding without them having to come into the hospital. Extremely useful tool to have.

I tried it and didn't have too much luck. Got a lot of sheen off my retina and the light on my camera was so bright it was hard to keep my eye open. Will try again though.