Current M4s - are you reporting your 2 digit Step 1 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyclopz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sfmatch gives you the option.

I'm sure some of you finished your home ophtho rotation at this point. I just did and am disturbed that every person in my department thinks the 2 digit score is a percentile. I wouldn't be concerned since anything 230+ was a 99 in the past. But for our year having 240s is only the 80s. Anyone afraid programs will interpret your score as poor?

I figure if everyone reports their 2 dig score then it won't matter. I'm just curious if everyone here is reporting it?

Members don't see this ad.

I no longer have my original score report, and when I requested an official one from NBME, the only scores listed were my three digit scores. Because of this, I am leaving the two digit box blank. I figure many people will not have access to their two digits anymore and so this would be fine.

You don't need to report it. ^^

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On the other hand, I will be sending in my USMLE Step 1 score report that I received last year, which states my 2-digit score on there. So I figured there's no reason to hide that number, I don't think schools which review hundreds of applications could be that oblivious to the new pattern of scoring?

my experience is that the older faculty who haven't reviewed apps for a while still think it's a percentile. All the younger faculty I've talked to who have been on the selection committees in recent years all know that the 3-digit one is the most important. They specifically requested you send your original score report (with topic breakdown) if available. they obviously want it for something.

By the way, I'm confident that there is no one with a 99 now, so I think the programs will get the hint when they don't come across a single 99. Give them some credit.

my experience is that the older faculty who haven't reviewed apps for a while still think it's a percentile. All the younger faculty I've talked to who have been on the selection committees in recent years all know that the 3-digit one is the most important. They specifically requested you send your original score report (with topic breakdown) if available. they obviously want it for something.

By the way, I'm confident that there is no one with a 99 now, so I think the programs will get the hint when they don't come across a single 99. Give them some credit.

The problems are...

1) The chairs and program directors tend to be the older faculty. Do you really want them misinterpreting your scores? Past classes didn't have this problem since 230+ was a 99. I can almost guarantee you that these older faculty (chair, program director, etc.) will not figure it out. The secretary will probably know but that might be it. And at my program, all the younger attendings think it's a percentile too because they follow what the older ones say. The residents are the only ones who know what it is and the ones I talked to know it's being phased out because their Step 3 scores didn't have 2-digit scores.

2. As the first responder mentioned above, many ppl probably do not have their original score report. Therefore, there will be a heavy proportion of applicants who will not be reporting a 2-digit score. That's fewer applicants for programs to figure out the new trend in 2 digit scores from, if that make sense? And again, I doubt the older faculty will figure it out. The residents specifically told me it's the secretary who screens out the applications first before the rest of the faculty even sees them. If the secretary screens it correctly, then I guess it's no problem. But the faculty are only seeing the apps who pass the test score screen. Just something to think about it.

- I see it going like this. You might get the interview and then when the faculty member sits down with you, they take a glance at your score for the first time (it's not like they're going to remember you if they had seen your score at an earlier point) and automatically think less of you since you have an 87. When I first met a retina doc at my program, he asked me what my "percentile" was and I explained to him there wasn't a "percentile" listed. He didn't seem to care what I said and then lost interest in me lol. And he was 40 at most.

3. I know that Sfmatch pdf says to send the entire score report if you can, but why? Even though it asks for the 2nd page if you have it, that actually is a bad idea because the NBME wrote specifically at the top that those bar graphs cannot be compared from test to test. However, if you include that, ppl will try compare those pages from test to test anyway.

I just don't know if it's worth the risk. Just pay the extra $65 for a new score report and you won't have to worry about anything. The above have been my experiences and nothing positive has come out of them knowing my 2-digit score. The only reason I was going to report it was because I thought I'd be the only one not to report it and therefore look suspicious. But now that I know that all new score reports will not have it, I don't think that'll be an issue anymore since tons of applicants won't have it. Chances are there are more ppl out there who didn't save their original score report than ones who did.

Last edited:
I have had a very similar experience to Cyclopz. It seems that despite the fact that lots of programs claim to not put such importance on Step 1 which is merely a basic science fact memorizing adventure, it is obvious that they do. Talking with faculty at my program, I was asked for a 2 digit score or percentile. I told them my 3 digit said its however many points above the average for matching into ophtho thinking they would at least respond positively to what I think is a good score. But this was not the case after they heard anything other than 99 they tuned out.

Cyclopz, I have an original score report with a 2 digit number. Are you suggesting that if I order a new one they will take that off? Just wanted to clarify because I don't want to pay $65 for a new score report to get another one with a 2 digit score.

I have had a very similar experience to Cyclopz. It seems that despite the fact that lots of programs claim to not put such importance on Step 1 which is merely a basic science fact memorizing adventure, it is obvious that they do. Talking with faculty at my program, I was asked for a 2 digit score or percentile. I told them my 3 digit said its however many points above the average for matching into ophtho thinking they would at least respond positively to what I think is a good score. But this was not the case after they heard anything other than 99 they tuned out.

Cyclopz, I have an original score report with a 2 digit number. Are you suggesting that if I order a new one they will take that off? Just wanted to clarify because I don't want to pay $65 for a new score report to get another one with a 2 digit score.

That's what the MDPD above said. I ordered mine already I'll let you know what happens. Should have it in a few days.

I just don't trust the older faculty members to understand. In fact, I know they won't understand so $65 is well worth it.

Yup, I also had the original Step 1 and 2 reports with 2 digit scores. The official report I received from NBME only has the 3 digits scores on it. Problem solved. :thumbup:

The problems are...

1) The chairs and program directors tend to be the older faculty. Do you really want them misinterpreting your scores? Past classes didn't have this problem since 230+ was a 99. I can almost guarantee you that these older faculty (chair, program director, etc.) will not figure it out. The secretary will probably know but that might be it. And at my program, all the younger attendings think it's a percentile too because they follow what the older ones say. The residents are the only ones who know what it is and the ones I talked to know it's being phased out because their Step 3 scores didn't have 2-digit scores.

2. As the first responder mentioned above, many ppl probably do not have their original score report. Therefore, there will be a heavy proportion of applicants who will not be reporting a 2-digit score. That's fewer applicants for programs to figure out the new trend in 2 digit scores from, if that make sense? And again, I doubt the older faculty will figure it out. The residents specifically told me it's the secretary who screens out the applications first before the rest of the faculty even sees them. If the secretary screens it correctly, then I guess it's no problem. But the faculty are only seeing the apps who pass the test score screen. Just something to think about it.

- I see it going like this. You might get the interview and then when the faculty member sits down with you, they take a glance at your score for the first time (it's not like they're going to remember you if they had seen your score at an earlier point) and automatically think less of you since you have an 87. When I first met a retina doc at my program, he asked me what my "percentile" was and I explained to him there wasn't a "percentile" listed. He didn't seem to care what I said and then lost interest in me lol. And he was 40 at most.

3. I know that Sfmatch pdf says to send the entire score report if you can, but why? Even though it asks for the 2nd page if you have it, that actually is a bad idea because the NBME wrote specifically at the top that those bar graphs cannot be compared from test to test. However, if you include that, ppl will try compare those pages from test to test anyway.

I just don't know if it's worth the risk. Just pay the extra $65 for a new score report and you won't have to worry about anything. The above have been my experiences and nothing positive has come out of them knowing my 2-digit score. The only reason I was going to report it was because I thought I'd be the only one not to report it and therefore look suspicious. But now that I know that all new score reports will not have it, I don't think that'll be an issue anymore since tons of applicants won't have it. Chances are there are more ppl out there who didn't save their original score report than ones who did.

More likely than this, I think the majority of people don't read SDN and aren't really even thinking about this. And since there's a spot on the app for the 2-digit number they'll just put that number (since they have it), regardless of if it's on the actual score report. It seems kind of odd to just hide a number like that, but different strokes for different folks I guess

More likely than this, I think the majority of people don't read SDN and aren't really even thinking about this. And since there's a spot on the app for the 2-digit number they'll just put that number (since they have it), regardless of if it's on the actual score report. It seems kind of odd to just hide a number like that, but different strokes for different folks I guess

I don't know if you have come into contact with faculty who think the 2-digit score is a percentile. The misconception is rampant throughout ophtho departments. These misinformed faculty are honestly only looking for the 99 since anything 230+ was a 99 in the past. This will be the only year that ppl will have a combo of 240s and 80s. Next year there will be no 2-digit scores period. These faculty are not savvy on the subtle changes from year to year. Many will not pick up on the difference. And do you really think the secretary of the department or residents are going to try to correct the chair/program director on this issue? What do they have to gain if chair/PD is interpreting your score correctly or not?

Just how you said most ppl do not read SDN since they're basically not as neurotic, many ppl out there probably did not save their original score report either because they're also not as neurotic to keep a backup of their score lol. There will probably be quite a few without 2-digit scores. You are not "hiding" it because all you have to say is your score report that you ordered for your application didn't have one. And if they really want a 2-digit score for you, then they can just compare your 3-digit score to someone's who did include the 2-digit.

I haven't 100% decided on not including the 2-digit score yet, but I'm probably like 80% positive I won't at this point.

I don't know if you have come into contact with faculty who think the 2-digit score is a percentile. The misconception is rampant throughout ophtho departments. These misinformed faculty are honestly only looking for the 99 since anything 230+ was a 99 in the past. This will be the only year that ppl will have a combo of 240s and 80s. Next year there will be no 2-digit scores period. These faculty are not savvy on the subtle changes from year to year. Many will not pick up on the difference. And do you really think the secretary of the department or residents are going to try to correct the chair/program director on this issue? What do they have to gain if chair/PD is interpreting your score correctly or not?

Just how you said most ppl do not read SDN since they're basically not as neurotic, many ppl out there probably did not save their original score report either because they're also not as neurotic to keep a backup of their score lol. There will probably be quite a few without 2-digit scores. You are not "hiding" it because all you have to say is your score report that you ordered for your application didn't have one. And if they really want a 2-digit score for you, then they can just compare your 3-digit score to someone's who did include the 2-digit.

I haven't 100% decided on not including the 2-digit score yet, but I'm probably like 80% positive I won't at this point.

To be fair, about the neuroticism, the NBME had sent us two emails to remind us to save our score report unless we want to pay for it in the future, so my guess would have been that people saved it.

I do understand your concerns and that is mine as well regarding that PDs and other faculty might not know the 2 digit score change, but let's see if others will weigh in here.

edit: has anyone called any coordinators to ask about this detail? my guess is if the coordinators know..at the very least they would have tried to pass it on to the faculty

Last edited:
To be fair, about the neuroticism, the NBME had sent us two emails to remind us to save our score report unless we want to pay for it in the future, so my guess would have been that people saved it.

I do understand your concerns and that is mine as well regarding that PDs and other faculty might not know the 2 digit score change, but let's see if others will weigh in here.

edit: has anyone called any coordinators to ask about this detail? my guess is if the coordinators know..at the very least they would have tried to pass it on to the faculty

Yeah, that's true, but ppl saved it over a year ago. I nearly lost mine and I'm pretty good about organizing things on my comp haha. I wouldn't be surprised if many ppl never saved theirs or lost it.

I agree, more ppl need to chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only speak for my home program, but most attendings I have talked to don't care about the two-digit scores...even the older guys. They've only asked for the three-digit.

I can only speak for my home program, but most attendings I have talked to don't care about the two-digit scores...even the older guys. They've only asked for the three-digit.

If we spend the $65 on the new score report, are we sure that the 2 digit score is not included on there? Would hate to spend the money and see the 2 digit score again

This might be the most neurotic thread in SDN history.

It doesn't matter. Don't worry about it. Calm the eff down.

Not saying that everyone saved their score report. I'm just saying that most people probably remember their 2-digit score regardless of if they saved the score report (your step 1 score is not something easily forgotten after a year). Since there's a specific spot on the app for the score I'm sure people will just fill it in (how many people do you know who would just leave a space blank if they can fill it?).

Would love to hear other input though. I agree, the uncertainty is just flat out annoying.

do we have to include the two digit score if we have our old score report?

Not saying that everyone saved their score report. I'm just saying that most people probably remember their 2-digit score regardless of if they saved the score report (your step 1 score is not something easily forgotten after a year). Since there's a specific spot on the app for the score I'm sure people will just fill it in (how many people do you know who would just leave a space blank if they can fill it?).

Would love to hear other input though. I agree, the uncertainty is just flat out annoying.

Well in that case, then I don't know if SFmatch would even leave the 2-digit score on there if you included it since your official copy (if you send a new copy) doesn't contain it. I thought the whole reason you send in your original copy is so they can verify what you filled in on the app. So if they can't verify the 2-digit score with the new score report, then I would think they'd erase your 2-digit.

Has anyone tried calling any programs to see what they are doing with 2 digit scores?

Just got mine in the mail.

No more 2-digit score. :thumbup:

There is also a notification at the top saying that as of April 1, 2013, only 3-digit scores are reported and 2-digits scores have been removed from all past exams. :thumbup:

Just got mine in the mail.

No more 2-digit score. :thumbup:

There is also a notification at the top saying that as of April 1, 2013, only 3-digit scores are reported and 2-digits scores have been removed from all past exams. :thumbup:

How long after you ordered it did it take to arrive

How long after you ordered it did it take to arrive

I ordered it on Sunday, got a a receipt on Monday saying to allow up to 10 business days and then got it today on Thursday. So only took 4 business days.

I'm going to save my $65, and go with my original score report (as I assume the majority will do). I've never met a doc who didn't understand the value of the 3-digit score on its own.

Plus, the mere fact that a small portion of people are submitting their apps without a 2-digit score will nullify any value it may have had. If they receive 2 apps with a 240, and one says "86" next to it and the other is blank, they are not going to prefer one over the other. In fact, if they still believe it is a "percentile," why would they pick the one who leaves it unlisted?

I'm going to save my $65, and go with my original score report (as I assume the majority will do). I've never met a doc who didn't understand the value of the 3-digit score on its own.

Plus, the mere fact that a small portion of people are submitting their apps without a 2-digit score will nullify any value it may have had. If they receive 2 apps with a 240, and one says "86" next to it and the other is blank, they are not going to prefer one over the other. In fact, if they still believe it is a "percentile," why would they pick the one who leaves it unlisted?

Agreed. There's too much paranoia on this thread. Maybe not everyone knows the difference between 2-digit and 3-digit score, but surely everyone heavily involved in the admissions/selection process will know. Also, any screening done prior to interviews has always been based on 3-digit score (in my experience). Plus, they specifically requested the performance profile page. They must have had some reason. If you have it, why not send it?

Agreed. There's too much paranoia on this thread. Maybe not everyone knows the difference between 2-digit and 3-digit score, but surely everyone heavily involved in the admissions/selection process will know. Also, any screening done prior to interviews has always been based on 3-digit score (in my experience). Plus, they specifically requested the performance profile page. They must have had some reason. If you have it, why not send it?

Surely not actually.

All 15/15 ophtho faculty at my program think it's a percentile. The ones most adamant are the chair and PD. They ARE the most heavily involved in the admissions process.

It won't be a huge issue during the interview screen. It'll be an issue during the interview if the faculty member asks you your score and then tunes you out when they don't hear a 99. Even if they don't ask you, they'll still see your score right before you walk in and have a preconceived notion about you.

Youre not "paranoid" bc you haven't come across this yourself yet. I hope I'm wrong, but you'll regret saving $65 later this semester when you're interviewing and run into this even on one occasion. I hope I'm wrong, but $65 is worth it to be safe.

And the subject breakdown sheet isn't supposed to be used to compare test to test. It specifically says that at the top. That's sfmatch's mistake to ask for that, just how it's their mistake to even still offer the 2 digit score box. ERAS did away with it last year. Sfmatch still requires most schools to make their students mail in their documents themselves. Clearly Sfmatch is behind the times.

It won't be a huge issue during the interview screen. It'll be an issue during the interview if the faculty member asks you your score and then tunes you out when they don't hear a 99. Even if they don't ask you, they'll still see your score right before you walk in and have a preconceived notion about you.

Right, but if they place so much value on the 2-digit score, why would they not ask you about yours as well if you leave it blank?

I would simply explain that the value is no longer a percentile (which is a fact they should be able to deduce after a few hundred applications come in). If they "tune me out" or judge me based upon my 2-digit meaningless score, I don't care for that kind of program. My impression is that the interview serves to get to know more about who I am and what I can bring to the team.

Right, but if they place so much value on the 2-digit score, why would they not ask you about yours as well if you leave it blank?

I would simply explain that the value is no longer a percentile (which is a fact they should be able to deduce after a few hundred applications come in). If they "tune me out" or judge me based upon my 2-digit meaningless score, I don't care for that kind of program. My impression is that the interview serves to get to know more about who I am and what I can bring to the team.

If they ask, then you say your score report didn't have one. You say the 2-digit score was changed and scrapped because that's the truth. You really can only truthfully say you didn't have one if you actually submitted a new score report, though. It's as simple as that. If they ask you why some applicants have 2-digit scores, then you say "They must have submitted an old, outdated score report. You can no longer access the original and all score reports as of April 1, 2013, only have the 3-digit score." If they ask you why they got rid of the 2-digit, you can blame it on your med school dean and say "Well from what my Dean told me and this is just based on what he said to me, it was accidentally interpreted as a percentile and the NBME didn't want that so they got rid of it." That's what my dean told me actually.

Read the post right above yours about the Top 15 PD. Another example why not to list your 2-digit.

Last edited:
If you take a step back for a moment and wonder how long some programs have been misinterpreting a 99 as 99 percentile, it's kind of funny. Every one of those programs probably thinks its residents are in the top 1% of all med students in the country. It probably gives these ophthalmologists a false sense of their field being smarter than everyone else. :laugh:

Not that ophtho doesn't have smart ppl, but not any smarter than the other surgical subspecialties. It actually has a slightly lower average Step 1 than most of the other ones lol.

Summary of the entire thread:

1 of 2 scenarios will play out if you submit a 2-digit score:

1) Faculty will misinterpret it as a percentile and lose interest in you.

2) Faculty will know it's not a percentile or pick up on that 2-digit scores have changed and thus pay no attention to it.

The person with the 2-digit score will have #1 happen at some places and #2 happen at many places. The person without a 2-digit score will be fine in any scenario. If the new score reports still had a 2-digit score, then I would still submit it because then it would look suspicious for not including all the info on your app. Fortunately, the NBME has done us a favor and got rid of it altogether on all new score reports. They have made it an easy decision for us to make. Pay the extra $65 for the new score report. I'm sure they love the extra money, too. :thumbup:

And no I do not want work for the NBME lol.

Well good luck to them crafting that resident class out of the few mythical applicants with a score of 99! :laugh:

any reason why NOT reporting the 2-digit score would be detrimental? (e.g. would programs think you're hiding something?)

I was looking at the nbme site today and it really seems like they're serious about overhauling the 2-digit scores and transitioning to only 3-digit. Unfortunately our class just ended up in the middle of that transition and things are kind of a mess. However, it appears that as far as the NBME is concerned the preferred way of looking at scores is to ignore the 2-digit.

But would there be harm to only reporting 3-digit on your app?

I'm sending in my score report as is, w/ both 3-digit and 2-digit scores. I have met my fair share of attendings who think the 2-digit score is a percentile, but omitting it won't help.

Pretty much every program looks primarily at 3-digit scores (that's why Charting Outcomes and other literature always talk about "avgs for X specialty" in terms of 3-digit scores).

All the "screening" steps are done based on the 3-digit score (>220, >230, etc).

No one is going to ignore a strong 3-digit score just because the 2-digit isn't 99.

Application readers are going to realize there is some scaling change after they see hundreds of apps with 2-digits in the 80s.

If someone cares THAT much about the 2-digit, then even if you don't include it they'll probably just find some other applicant's score report, who has a similar 3-digit score and who included a 2-digit.

The above probably won't happen because everyone will be looking at the 3-digit anyway.

I'm sending in my score report as is, w/ both 3-digit and 2-digit scores. I have met my fair share of attendings who think the 2-digit score is a percentile, but omitting it won't help.

Pretty much every program looks primarily at 3-digit scores (that's why Charting Outcomes and other literature always talk about "avgs for X specialty" in terms of 3-digit scores).

All the "screening" steps are done based on the 3-digit score (>220, >230, etc).

No one is going to ignore a strong 3-digit score just because the 2-digit isn't 99.

Application readers are going to realize there is some scaling change after they see hundreds of apps with 2-digits in the 80s.

If someone cares THAT much about the 2-digit, then even if you don't include it they'll probably just find some other applicant's score report, who has a similar 3-digit score and who included a 2-digit.

The above probably won't happen because everyone will be looking at the 3-digit anyway.

Lol did you seriously just ignore everything above in the thread? Did you not read the real examples of chairs and PDs misinterpreting it?

I agree it probably won't affect your interview screening, but it can affect your individual interviews with faculty when that person looks at your score right before you enter the room or asks you what your 2 digit is. The faculty don't screen the apps. The secretary does and will be the main person who will know what you wrote above.

Anyways, it's your decision, not a wise one but still yours.

Lol did you seriously just ignore everything above in the thread? Did you not read the real examples of chairs and PDs misinterpreting it?

I agree it probably won't affect your interview screening, but it can affect your individual interviews with faculty when that person looks at your score right before you enter the room or asks you what your 2 digit is. The faculty don't screen the apps. The secretary does and will be the main person who will know what you wrote above.

Anyways, it's your decision, not a wise one but still yours.

I think either way it will be fine, but to me personally it seems weird if suddenly the 2 digit score is gone from an application when they have been reviewing it for so many years, they might think it is incomplete?

Regardless, I think programs only screen by 3 digit anyways.

I think either way it will be fine, but to me personally it seems weird if suddenly the 2 digit score is gone from an application when they have been reviewing it for so many years, they might think it is incomplete?

Regardless, I think programs only screen by 3 digit anyways.

:beat:

Again, it probably won't affect screening but may affect you right before the interview when the faculty member sees your 2-digit score before entering the room or asks you during the interview.

All 2-digits score will be gone next year no matter what. Yes the faculty will have to adjust to not use the 2-digit score. It's asking a lot of them I know lol.

Anyways, I now resign from this thread. All the necessary info is in this thread and I can only repeat myself so many times. :beat:

:beat:

Again, it probably won't affect screening but may affect you right before the interview when the faculty member sees your 2-digit score before entering the room or asks you during the interview.

All 2-digits score will be gone next year no matter what. Yes the faculty will have to adjust to not use the 2-digit score. It's asking a lot of them I know lol.

Anyways, I now resign from this thread. All the necessary info is in this thread and I can only repeat myself so many times. :beat:

here's the issue: you keep assuming ALL they care about is your 2-digit score. When they see a 3-digit score right beside a 2-digit score no one is going to care about the 2-digit. Interviewers are likely not going to straight up ask you your 2-digit score. If they are holding the app in their hands they can just look down and see it (along with your 3-digit). I get what you're saying about lots of faculty misinterpreting it, but you will rarely have instances where someone is looking at an isolated 2-digit score on paper; it'll be right next to the 3-digit--and no one misinterprets the meaning of a 3-digit score

here's the issue: you keep assuming ALL they care about is your 2-digit score. When they see a 3-digit score right beside a 2-digit score no one is going to care about the 2-digit. Interviewers are likely not going to straight up ask you your 2-digit score. If they are holding the app in their hands they can just look down and see it (along with your 3-digit). I get what you're saying about lots of faculty misinterpreting it, but you will rarely have instances where someone is looking at an isolated 2-digit score on paper; it'll be right next to the 3-digit--and no one misinterprets the meaning of a 3-digit score

Nope that's where you're wrong. They think the 3 digit score changes every year so they have to look at the "percentile" to interpret your score. Thats the whole reason they look at the 2 digit score. The ones who misinterpret pay no attention to the 3 digit score. Trust me on this. I have had this experience repeated several times bc everyone at my school thinks it's a percentile.

Do what you wish.

My school is mailing all our LORs,certificates, and STEP 1 detailed report. No choice of submitting just a 3 digit score for us.

Also, our school underscored the importance of submitting the full report with a detailed breakdown of the STEP 1 score.

Last edited:
Look, I know we all want to present the best versions of ourselves on these apps and wanna look as positive as possible (and yes I've met the people who misinterpret the 2 digit and it's annoying, I agree). but it smells kinda fishy to me to purposefully leave out a piece of information that you know and the app asks for. If we all just put our two digit scores, no one will be negatively affected because we all took the test on the same scale. I guess the only major exception would be md/phd's who took step ages ago, but they're already on a pedestal anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Look, I know we all want to present the best versions of ourselves on these apps and wanna look as positive as possible (and yes I've met the people who misinterpret the 2 digit and it's annoying, I agree). but it smells kinda fishy to me to purposefully leave out a piece of information that you know and the app asks for. If we all just put our two digit scores, no one will be negatively affected because we all took the test on the same scale. I guess the only major exception would be md/phd's who took step ages ago, but they're already on a pedestal anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Doesn't look sketchy if you submit the new score report and don't have the old one. That's all you can do, which is what a lot of ppl will probably do.

Well obviously, the whole reason this thread came into existence is that, at least superficially, you can omit it without looking too sketchy. I was saying that it was a kinda sketchy thing to do in general, even if people can easily get away with it. It seems like one of those ideas that can possibly help you an individual but potentially hurt the group of applicants as a whole this year. Similar to how we could target our applications to the 20-30 programs that we are legitimately interested in and could realistically end up at rather than blanket applying to half of the programs in the country. But we feel better by applying to tons, and that's the way it's been done the past few years, so we do it.

oh boy I feel like this thread has gone on way too long for its own good.

I'm sure some places will probably look at the 2-digit scores as %tiles, but it doesn't matter whether or not you submit it. If I submit my 240/86 and you just submit your 240 then the places that really care will correlate your score with mine and just assume you have 86 as well. It's not like they're just going to assume you have 99 because your score isn't there.

If anything, you cause more work by NOT putting in the score

My school is scanning and uploading all our LORs,certificates, and STEP 1 detailed report. No choice of submitting just a 3 digit score for us.

Also, our school underscored the importance of submitting the full report with a detailed breakdown of the STEP 1 score.

Did your school happen to explain why it's so important? I was confused about why sfmatch was asking for it since I just thought they used the score repor as a way to verify what's on your app (but they don't submit it directly to the ophtho programs)