Did I make a mistake or was I doomed to begin with? What can I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsres

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is already part of the way into November and I have not received any interviews after applying both to preliminary medicine and PM&R residency positions. I figured that by now I should have heard from preliminary programs. Though I want to go into PM&R I have also been interested in categorical medicine. Yesterday I called a program I had not heard from and asked if I could apply to both preliminary and categorical medicine. My thinking is that categorical medicine spots may be less competitive. The person was pleasant and said “of course”. Then she asked who I was and after checking said that she was sorry but the committee had declined to offer me an interview because my step 2 score was not 82 or higher.

I changed the other designations for some of my other applications to preliminary programs on ERAS to both categorical and preliminary. Today I got an email from one of these programs that they will not be processing my application for a preliminary medicine residency program any longer. They went on to say they have an exceptional number of applicants this year…. Could this be because I added the categorical medicine or is it likely I was not seriously being considered to begin with? I have said from the beginning in my personal statements that I was also considering categorical medicine.

It seems that since I went to an offshore school (I am a US born citizen) I cannot get an interview since my board scores are not very high. This is what I want to do and after spending all of this time training and acquiring massive debt I do not know what I am going to do. I know there is still time left in the interview season but since I applied in early September I should have been offered something by now. With premed and graduate courses as well as medical school this has been my work for the past 10 years. I do not know what to do. If you have any thoughts you can contact me here or by a message.

Members don't see this ad.

You know, I think in your situation patience will yield rewards. There will be plenty of unfilled programs in both PM&R and IM, why not just wait and scramble into one? Best of luck to you..I'm sure things will work out. ND.

My guess is your application is covering the bottom of a lot of program director's bird cages.
82 board and offshore grad = tough course.
Its not to late to do an AI at a program you like but you also have a decent shot at. With a paper aplication like that you need to impress them in person so get to it. Also, scramble is a good way to match to.

It is already part of the way into November and I have not received any interviews after applying both to preliminary medicine and PM&R residency positions. I figured that by now I should have heard from preliminary programs. Though I want to go into PM&R I have also been interested in categorical medicine. Yesterday I called a program I had not heard from and asked if I could apply to both preliminary and categorical medicine. My thinking is that categorical medicine spots may be less competitive. The person was pleasant and said "of course". Then she asked who I was and after checking said that she was sorry but the committee had declined to offer me an interview because my step 2 score was not 82 or higher.

I changed the other designations for some of my other applications to preliminary programs on ERAS to both categorical and preliminary. Today I got an email from one of these programs that they will not be processing my application for a preliminary medicine residency program any longer. They went on to say they have an exceptional number of applicants this year…. Could this be because I added the categorical medicine or is it likely I was not seriously being considered to begin with? I have said from the beginning in my personal statements that I was also considering categorical medicine.

It seems that since I went to an offshore school (I am a US born citizen) I cannot get an interview since my board scores are not very high. This is what I want to do and after spending all of this time training and acquiring massive debt I do not know what I am going to do. I know there is still time left in the interview season but since I applied in early September I should have been offered something by now. With premed and graduate courses as well as medical school this has been my work for the past 10 years. I do not know what to do. If you have any thoughts you can contact me here or by a message.

Prematch or scramble is the best bet for you.

You should apply as backup.....a categorical IM programs immediately so you can at least try to get a PGY1 position.

It is already part of the way into November and I have not received any interviews...
It seems that since I went to an offshore school (I am a US born citizen) I cannot get an interview since my board scores are not very high... I know there is still time left in the interview season but since I applied in early September I should have been offered something by now.
I am also a Caribbean grad who applied to Psych in mid-October and now, 4 wks later, have not received a single interview. Being an IMG is a disadvantage, but I think having a poor USMLE record hurts even more. So much that no one wants to get near my application, I suspect. I am still hoping some program out there will give me a chance. And to you too.

Prematch or scramble is the best bet for you.
You should apply as backup.....a categorical IM programs immediately so you can at least try to get a PGY1 position.
Prematch would be a dream come true, but w/o any interviews, not possible. Scramble will be tough, a lot of people fighting for the leftovers, but a good opportunity. As far as backup, I would think FM would be the most feasible, as IM is significantly more competitive. Any other thoughts?

I am also a Caribbean grad who applied to Psych in mid-October and now, 4 wks later, have not received a single interview. Being an IMG is a disadvantage, but I think having a poor USMLE record hurts even more. So much that no one wants to get near my application, I suspect. I am still hoping some program out there will give me a chance. And to you too.

I too am a Caribbean graduate, applied to EM and Path with a poor step 1 grade but excellent step 2 grade of 99, passed CS and ECFMG certified a total of 78 programs applied to and all i have gotten are rejections, too many to count actually, feel frustrated but it aint over till the left overs are finished....keep the faith my caribbean brotha....:D

but it aint over till the left overs are finished....keep the faith my caribbean brotha....:D
You reminded me of a response I got awhile back on another thread...
"it aint too late, till the fat lady sings. And even then, there's the scramble."

Altough it seems that this is not your problem....
I just want to say that last year, a girl from my school had not yet received any interviews by this time and finally came to realize that she forgot to release her
uSMLE transcripts on ERAS. So, you might also want to make sure that your applications ae complete on ERAS if things don't seem to be adding up...