Desi Movie Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1hotaartichoke

Not Just Another Veggie!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
just wondering if anyone has seen Swades?

:D

Members don't see this ad.

1hotaartichoke said:
Hi guys,
just wondering if anyone has seen Swades?

:D

I haven't, but I think this thread is a great idea. :thumbup:

Yet to eyeball "swades". Should be up to snuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah swades looks really good. i like the music a lot. i want to see kisna too.

PublicEnemy said:
yeah swades looks really good. i like the music a lot. i want to see kisna too.

the only desi movies I've seen in my life, hehe: (w/ subtitles, of course :D )

Dhoom - a HUGE ripoff of 4 american movies, but still unique for indian cinema.
Kal ho na ho - priety zinta(sp?), enough said :D
hum tum - cool movie, methinks.
dil chahta hai - very nice movie.

since i'm here anyway, i'll throw in that i love the music to chameli, dil ne jise..., swades, umm, what else..raaga's full blast :D

and chicken tandoori and veggie. jalfreezie (sp?). yum.

*edit* AND HAYWARD 5000!!! i had this the other day - never knew indians could make beer. i'm so proud of india :laugh:

veer zara was good, but typical for one of his movies (devdas, hum dil de chuke sanam) etc. but still good, and the music is nice too.

everyone, and i mean EVERYONE, should go see Mein Houn Na. it was really good and funny...very surprising for an indian movie...and of course Munnabhia MBBS. :D :thumbup:

oh yeah, and saathiya too :)

definitely watch munnabhai mbbs. its hilarious with all the bombay slang...sort of a desi patch adams.
i can't believe nobody here has seen swades yet. i've heard its good from people but haven't seen it myself yet.

Swades is good but quite predictable. I think you should watch hulchul...excellent comedy, and kuch to garbad hai(nice timepass)and i m sure everyone has watched hungama. :D

parasiteatwork said:
Swades is good but quite predictable. I think you should watch hulchul...excellent comedy, and kuch to garbad hai(nice timepass)and i m sure everyone has watched hungama. :D

Hungama is just plain awesome!

have u guys seen veerzara? it was a very sad movie.

veer zaara was really good. although it was pretty overly emotional. but as a whole production, it was very good, the music, the colors, contrast, cinematography, nice.

I for some reason didnt find Hungama to be that hilarious as some of the reviews on websites made it out to be... But got to admit, I nearly killed myself rolling literally on the ground with laughter towards the ending of this movie... I was trying to reach for the DVD remote to try and switch it off since I had a really bad stomach-ache as well as a "cheek-ache" because of all the laughing... But the remote was beyond my reach...

Anyway, I really want to watch Hulchul...

PS Priyadarshan's movies ROCK!!! *special mention to Hera Pheri*

Members don't see this ad :)
-me- said:
I for some reason didnt find Hungama to be that hilarious as some of the reviews on websites made it out to be... But got to admit, I nearly killed myself rolling literally on the ground with laughter towards the ending of this movie... I was trying to reach for the DVD remote to try and switch it off since I had a really bad stomach-ache as well as a "cheek-ache" because of all the laughing... But the remote was beyond my reach...

Anyway, I really want to watch Hulchul...

PS Priyadarshan's movies ROCK!!! *special mention to Hera Pheri*
2004 biggest hits r
main ho na
murder
masti
veerzaara
mujse shadi karogi
dil ne jese apna kaha
hulchul
/.....................swades is average not like kuch kuch hota ha ok......

sohana said:
2004 biggest hits r
main ho na
murder
masti
veerzaara
mujse shadi karogi
dil ne jese apna kaha
hulchul

how can you guys like main hoon na? was sooo boring..the songs were good tho. lol

veer zaara was a typical yash raj movie... im gettin bored with srks acting..same expressions and roles. the songs were awesome tho.

DrPreet said:
how can you guys like main hoon na? was sooo boring..the songs were good tho. lol

veer zaara was a typical yash raj movie... im gettin bored with srks acting..same expressions and roles. the songs were awesome tho.

Agreed 100%

sohana said:
2004 biggest hits r
main ho na
murder
masti
veerzaara
mujse shadi karogi
dil ne jese apna kaha
hulchul

Dil ne jise apna kaha was a horrible movie....more like a kids movie but i agree that hulchul was great and so was veerzara.havent seen main hun naa yet.

DrPreet said:

Comeon....srk does not act for the guys...its the girls who r his fans and they like him in the same roles with the same expressions.

DrPreet said:

if u r boor of shahrukh than i think u like movies like
HUM KON HAIN
BLACK MAGIC
ABRAA K ATABRA LIKE THAT
N UR FAV ACTOR WILL BE
TUSHAR

WALA YA KODAYA
ALLAH HAFIZ
BACHA
TUM KO EID KA CHAND MUBARAK HO A BACHA GALA LAG JA

sohana said:
HUM KON HAIN
BLACK MAGIC
ABRAA K ATABRA LIKE THAT
N UR FAV ACTOR WILL BE
TUSHAR

WALA YA KODAYA
ALLAH HAFIZ
BACHA

Hey ...did u really see all those movies??? :D :D :D

parasiteatwork said:
Hey ...did u really see all those movies??? :D :D :D
no i am not like u to waste my time

I watched Veer Zarra and cried like a baby.

I wanta see Naach too. I ve seen the dances from that movie, they are just extraodinare! Although some people din't like 'em. antara mali :thumbup:

priyanka said:
I watched Veer Zarra and cried like a baby.

I wanta see Naach too. I ve seen the dances from that movie, they are just extraodinare! Although some people din't like 'em. antara mali :thumbup:

Sorry to hijack, but Priyanka, I once told you I had a cousin who went to bhavans? His name was Amit Kulkarni, but I'd doubt you knew him given that he hardly talked to anyone. He lived on Grant Road in Shastri Hall in Mumbai (that's where my father comes from).

And, um, I once *almost* saw an indian movie about some actor with the last name "khan" who had or was indirectly related to the subject of AIDS. It was supposed to be ok.

I stop now. ;)

-Ice

sohana said:
HUM KON HAIN
BLACK MAGIC
ABRAA K ATABRA LIKE THAT
N UR FAV ACTOR WILL BE
TUSHAR

WALA YA KODAYA
ALLAH HAFIZ
BACHA

so ur basically saying that any movie that doesn't have shahrukh in it is a horrible movie ? or not worth watchng? I agree with DrPreet... even though srk is a good actor and does nice romantic roles, that is all he does. he has the same expressions on his face ... he doesn't try out new roles like Amir khan or even Hrithik do. There are plenty of great movies to watch that don't have srk in them... hulchul and dhoom are examples of the most recent ones I saw.

dhoom was hella good..finally a decent action movie that i can relate too with hotties in it..WHEN DID ESHA DEOL GET HOT AGAIN??? :D :confused: anyways..i wanna see Veer-Zara, Hulchul, Munhabai MBBS, and Aitaraz (the DVD from india is at home).

ice_23 said:
Sorry to hijack, but Priyanka, I once told you I had a cousin who went to bhavans? His name was Amit Kulkarni, but I'd doubt you knew him given that he hardly talked to anyone. He lived on Grant Road in Shastri Hall in Mumbai (that's where my father comes from).

And, um, I once *almost* saw an indian movie about some actor with the last name "khan" who had or was indirectly related to the subject of AIDS. It was supposed to be ok.

I stop now. ;)

-Ice

Hola ice,
yea I remember you telling me about your cousin. I knew a lot of amit guys...and by the way i was in andheri bhavans. I am guessing he was in the grant road bhavans? there were two bhavans':) and I think you are talking about salman khan lol..

priyanka said:
Hola ice,
yea I remember you telling me about your cousin. I knew a lot of amit guys...and by the way i was in andheri bhavans. I am guessing he was in the grant road bhavans? there were two bhavans':) and I think you are talking about salman khan lol..

oops, my bad. Yea he went to that one.

And it probably was salman khan. ;)

-Ice

ice_23 said:
oops, my bad. Yea he went to that one.

And it probably was salman khan. ;)

-Ice

whats with u guys discussing some cousin in some bhavan.

sohana said:
no i am not like u to waste my time

well...you know their names so u must have watched them.

parasiteatwork said:
well...you know their names so u must have watched them.
hmmmmmmmm
shk
well u will surprise to hear he born in peshawar pakistan

CaliAtenza said:
dhoom was hella good..finally a decent action movie that i can relate too with hotties in it..WHEN DID ESHA DEOL GET HOT AGAIN??? :D :confused: anyways..i wanna see Veer-Zara, Hulchul, Munhabai MBBS, and Aitaraz (the DVD from india is at home).

OMG esha deol was officially plastered inside my eyelids for a long period after I saw that movie. Hoooooootttttt. And I was shocked at how racy the first scene was :eek:

Yeah, it was a good movie - but I hated that it was a ripoff of Oceans 11, MI 2, fast and furious, and...another one i think. IF it were more original , then it'd be 'awesomer'.

CaptainJack02 said:
OMG esha deol was officially plastered inside my eyelids for a long period after I saw that movie. Hoooooootttttt. And I was shocked at how racy the first scene was :eek:

Yeah, it was a good movie - but I hated that it was a ripoff of Oceans 11, MI 2, fast and furious, and...another one i think. IF it were more original , then it'd be 'awesomer'.
in upcoming movies
black is god
ma asa hi ho also
bewaffa music is great

CaptainJack02 said:

It hardly matters whether dhoom was a ripoff of any english movie or not coz indians love movies only when it has their (indian)actors in it.ofcourse i m talking about the 'mawalis' who are the maximum cinema watchers in india.So it doesnt matter even if it wasnt original

sohana said:
hmmmmmmmm
shk
well u will surprise to hear he born in peshawar pakistan

i dont give a **** about that sweetie

I agree with the earlier post about Sharukh Khan having basically the same maligned expression on his face in every movie....then again, you could say that about every other Indian actor.

Hrithik is really good, and his movies actually have really good production values...but everytime hes on screen, I keep watching for the 6th finger!!! Can't he do something about that?

Priety (sp?) Zinta looks like a childhood friend of mine, so watching her in anything is like watching a romantic dramedy with my sister.

Kareena's hot!!! But she seems like she'd be kinda prissy and prudish in person.

Saif Ali Khan is my favorite actor. He has really good comedic timing and is content being a supporting actor in good movies, rather than the lead in bad ones.

I dont get Esha Deol...I just don't....get....her. Shes not a good actor at all, and always looked pissed off.

Also...I havent watched most (actually...any) of the movies you guys listed, but I cant believe no one mentioned Kal Ho Na Ho. I thought it was really good.

So thats my 2 cents. Even though I've only seen like three movies since last summer, I watch a lot more during breaks when I visit home...ZeeTV and SET are awesome!

1hotaartichoke said:
hella huh?

you must be from northern cali :D

no im not, actually..lol :D Im from southern cali too :) But so many nor call peeps down here, so "hella" rubbed off on me.

parasiteatwork said:
It hardly matters whether dhoom was a ripoff of any english movie or not coz indians love movies only when it has their (indian)actors in it.ofcourse i m talking about the 'mawalis' who are the maximum cinema watchers in india.So it doesnt matter even if it wasnt original
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Feels like I am back in India

parasiteatwork said:
i dont give a **** about that sweetie

Goes on to show that even Pakistanis know their country is crap in numerous ways

Premedtomed said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Feels like I am back in India

saif o **** so booring
salman n shahrukh r best without them bollywood is 0000000
hritik just a air nth else
so poor i hate him
john is better than him

SOHANNA said:
saif o **** so booring
salman n shahrukh r best without them bollywood is 0000000
hritik just a air nth else
so poor i hate him
john is better than him

badshah o badshah badshahhh

he new look of amir is also great

parasiteatwork said:
has anyone seen Rog???
My hindi might be a little off, but doesn't 'Rog' translate into = disease??

The chick in the posters for 'Rog' is SMOKING!!!! I was just in Bombay last week and almost had an accident while driving past her billboard.

NYCDesi said:
My hindi might be a little off, but doesn't 'Rog' translate into = disease??

The chick in the posters for 'Rog' is SMOKING!!!! I was just in Bombay last week and almost had an accident while driving past her billboard.
:laugh: yup,,ROG in english means DISEASE...but may be the movie meant ROG in a different sense :cool: ...may be prem(love) ROG.. or something else....sorry havent watched the movie yet. :(

Hulchul is preety good..i haven't finished watching it yet though. Aitraaz is hella good...Priyanka Chopra is HOTTTTT! and Kareena Kapoor, i actually like her in this movie, for once, lol. I wanna see Rog and a few other movies next.

CaliAtenza said:
Hulchul is preety good..i haven't finished watching it yet though. Aitraaz is hella good...Priyanka Chopra is HOTTTTT! and Kareena Kapoor, i actually like her in this movie, for once, lol. I wanna see Rog and a few other movies next.

i saw hulchul, it sucks , the movie didn't make any sence to me
aitraaz was a good movie, you are right,priyanka chopra is hot
i am gonna watch rog this week
i saw dil maange more , what a waste of time man!!!!
i wanted to see sharmila tagore's daughter, she was a big disappointment

nimeshshingala said:
I too agree that sharmila tagore's daughter was ugly:eek: .....she has a plastic smile n needs to learn to act n the whole movie was too :sleep: :sleep: ......

nimeshshingala said:
i saw hulchul, it sucks , the movie didn't make any sence to me
aitraaz was a good movie, you are right,priyanka chopra is hot
i am gonna watch rog this week
o so soory
he fail hulchul
o boos
then u should watch naach etc

I saw Waada lately....has different kind of story....interesting!!!

I thought Shaadi Ka Laddoo was kinda cute.