medicalenthusiast13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, please read the whole thing. It really does mean a lot to me.

I am an aspiring physician. Of course, life doesn't come off that easily. My father was born in Vietnam, at the bottom of the economy. He used the floor as paper because he couldn't afford any, and didn't take food on the table every night for granted. Despite his disadvantage he excelled in school, graduating first in his class. He proceeded to go to medical school, where he became a surgeon. He loved his job. 12 years ago, my mom wanted to go to America so my sister and I could have the best education possible. My dad agreed, having believed that education was our top priority. When we first moved my dad was really depressed since he couldn't practice anymore. He tried to apply for programs to use his MBBS, (equivalent to an MD), to legally practice, but failed. So he tried to apply to medical school, also didn't work out. So finally he just went into pre-pharm, where he went to pharmacy school. He failed a few times, sometimes having to do a year again in pharmacy school, mostly because of his lack of good English, which is still pretty mediocre to this day, (I try to teach him as best as I can). It was last year that he finally graduated from pharmacy school, but he still has to take his boards to be board certified to even have a chance to become a clinical pharmacist, which is want he wants to be. Even still, he does not like being one, as he found out doing rotations in pharmacy school. I learned our real family situation a few months ago, and ever since I've been so profoundly depressed. Sometimes, I just want to punch myself in the face repeatedly because of me being so depressed because of my situation. I think I've developed some kind of serotonin or neurotransmitter deficiency or something, because I feel like I'm on autopilot now. I don't even feel alive anymore. I care and love my dad so much, and want him to practice medicine again. That's the first thing.. he is currently 53 as of right now and all I want him to do is practice medicine so he'll be truly happy. I understand that he had to sacrifice his dream job for me and my sister's education, but he doesn't deserve living lower of a standard than he deserves, after going through hard times already during his childhood.

The second thing is that I love medicine. I like to think that I got it from my dad. I've written "research papers" on the correlation between consciousness and psychological conditions, made a functional laparoscopic simulation, and "operate" on pig skin, practicing my subcutaneous suturing, mattress suture, and other forms of suturing on surgical instruments I asked for my birthday. I also have a vast clinical knowledge, as my school nurse said. Speaking of my school nurse, during school, I applied to be a nursing aid, not to be confused with a CNA. I operated a computer and signed in patients. Although, rarely, the clinic would be empty, and I would jump out of my seat and go into the nurse's office itself, (inside the clinic), and ask her to give me medical cases for me to go through, as if I was the admitting physician. I would order tests, treatment, drugs, etc. I am waiting for a letter of recommendation for her, which would be a big advantage to have me shadow at the hospital near my apartment, (Memorial Hermann City Mall). This summer, my family couldn't afford going to vacation, but if I could shadow there, that would be better than going anywhere.

My dad is currently out of state for a month to temporarily live in my aunt's house, who is a nurse at a nursing home, to be a pharmacy technician. He is doing this to improve his English and to have a better chance at getting a job as a pharmacist. I sincerely thank you if you have read this far, and if you could offer help in any way possible, it would be an absolute blessing, and I really do mean it.

- Me operating on pig skin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

I am 13 years old age

Where my quote ends is where I stopped reading. Focus on doing well in high school and enjoying life. It's too early for you to be thinking about anything else.

Where my quote ends is where I stopped reading. Focus on doing well in high school and enjoying life. It's too early for you to be thinking about anything else.
Please read the whole thing, it's much more than that

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I am 13 years old age, and an aspiring physician. It may be cliche, but I truly love medicine. Of course, life doesn't come off that easily. My father was born in Vietnam, at the bottom of the economy. He used the floor as paper because he couldn't afford any, and didn't take food on the table every night for granted. Despite his disadvantage he excelled in school, graduating first in his class. He proceeded to go to medical school, where he became a surgeon. He loved his job. 12 years ago, my mom wanted to go to America so my sister and I could have the best education possible. My dad agreed, having believed that education was our top priority. When we first moved my dad was really depressed since he couldn't practice anymore. He tried to apply for programs to use his MBBS, (equivalent to an MD), to legally practice, but failed. So he tried to apply to medical school, also didn't work out. So finally he just went into pre-pharm, where he went to pharmacy school. He failed a few times, sometimes having to do a year again in pharmacy school, mostly because of his lack of good English, which is still pretty mediocre to this day, (I try to teach him as best as I can). It was last year that he finally graduated from pharmacy school, but he still has to take his boards to be board certified to even have a chance to become a clinical pharmacist, which is want he wants to be. Even still, he does not like being one, as he found out doing rotations in pharmacy school. I learned our real family situation a few months ago, and ever since I've been so profoundly depressed. Sometimes, I just want to punch myself in the face repeatedly because of me being so depressed because of my situation. I think I've developed some kind of serotonin or neurotransmitter deficiency or something, because I feel like I'm on autopilot now. I don't even feel alive anymore. I care and love my dad so much, and want him to practice medicine again. That's the first thing.. he is currently 53 as of right now and all I want him to do is practice medicine so he'll be truly happy. I understand that he had to sacrifice his dream job for me and my sister's education, but he doesn't deserve living lower of a standard than he deserves, after going through hard times already during his childhood. If someone would please offer help, that would be absolutely amazing.

The second thing is that I love medicine. I like to think that I got it from my dad. I've written "research papers" on the correlation between consciousness and psychological conditions, made a functional laparoscopic simulation, and "operate" on pig skin, practicing my subcutaneous suturing, mattress suture, and other forms of suturing on surgical instruments I asked for my birthday. I also have a vast clinical knowledge, as my school nurse said. Speaking of my school nurse, during school, I applied to be a nursing aid, not to be confused with a CNA. I operated a computer and signed in patients. Although, rarely, the clinic would be empty, and I would jump out of my seat and go into the nurse's office itself, (inside the clinic), and ask her to give me medical cases for me to go through, as if I was the admitting physician. I would order tests, treatment, drugs, etc. I am waiting for a letter of recommendation for her, which would be a big advantage to have me shadow at the hospital near my apartment, (Memorial Hermann City Mall). I live in Houston, Texas. This summer, my family couldn't afford going to vacation, but if I could shadow there, that would be better than going to the Bahamas and swimming in it's beautiful blue waters.

My dad is currently in California for a month to temporarily live in my aunt's house, who is a nurse at a nursing home, to be a pharmacy technician. He is doing this to improve his English and to have a better chance at getting a job as a pharmacist. My dream is to be Chief of Surgery, and cure cancer, Alzheimer's, and OCD. I sincerely thank you if you have read this far, and if you could offer help in any way possible, it would be an absolute blessing, and I really do mean it. Please help me.

1. It seems like you have a real passion for medicine, but right now you have to focus on getting through school with the best grades you can get. Maybe you can check the SDN high school sub-forum, where some of your questions might be better answered: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/hsdn.420/ . They have lots of good advice about what you can be doing right now to achieve your goals. It sounds like you're doing a lot of the right things already like exploring your interests in research and shadowing at the hospital. You should be proud.

2. I would not use your real name online. I've purposely "quoted" your comment to not include it, and you should to edit your post to delete it. What you post online can stay forever. It's something even us student doctors or real doctors are careful about.

3. I'm really sorry you're going through this right now. Learning about your dad's situation is a lot to take on. Is there anybody in your life that you can talk to? Maybe even a teacher or a counsellor? You shouldn't be dealing with problems like this on your own--they're not your fault and they're not your responsibility to fix, even though you really want to fix them, because you love your dad so much. It also sounds like you're really hurting. Unfortunately, nobody here is in a position to help your dad in the way that you want. I know that you love him very much, and it hurts to see him suffer. Reach out to somebody you trust. Sometimes just talking about things with a trusted adult can make it hurt less--and that's what your dad would want the most too, for you to hurt less.

I know this wasn't exactly the help you were looking for. Check out the SDN high school sub-forum. I'm really sorry you're going through this, and I hope things turn out for the very best. I think you're already doing a great job at pursuing your dreams. But please just reach out to somebody you trust.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
do carib med schools admit 13 y/o in high school?

not srs

I'm going to take this post very seriously

You need to remove most of what you said that included any names, geographical places, even roles, to be much more vague.

What you wrote, in and of itself, is a very powerful and moving story that could make for a personal statement. Protect your anonymity, it's a story that sticks out! Don't let others be able to use your story or words!

We can talk about your situation and offer advice, but please, edit your post and save what you wrote. It has the makings of a great personal statement IMHO, so don't have it on SDN.

If you are feeling so depressed that you feel like hurting yourself, please don't.
Like @lymphocyte, seek help.

You are young. Explore why you want to be a doctor outside of the fact that your father has sacrificed so much for your education. It is still worthwhile if you pursue any career that allows you to have a better life. Just, dude, you're 13 and you've got a lot of awareness, but I think you're taking on too much onto your shoulders. Part of learning and growing is figuring out what we are and aren't responsible for. You are not responsible for your parents' decisions, even if you are the reason they state for why they do things, or for their feelings, even if it feels otherwise. Talk to a counselor about this idea and wrap your mind around it.

Best of luck, feel free to use hsSDN but also keep in firm touch with supportive people in real life.

Reactions: 3 users

You need to remove most of what you said that included any names, geographical places, even roles, to be much more vague.

What you wrote, in and of itself, is a very powerful and moving story that could make for a personal statement. Protect your anonymity, it's a story that sticks out! Don't let others be able to use your story or words!

We can talk about your situation and offer advice, but please, edit your post and save what you wrote. It has the makings of a great personal statement IMHO, so don't have it on SDN.

If you are feeling so depressed that you feel like hurting yourself, please don't.
Like @lymphocyte, seek help.

You are young. Explore why you want to be a doctor outside of the fact that your father has sacrificed so much for your education. It is still worthwhile if you pursue any career that allows you to have a better life. Just, dude, you're 13 and you've got a lot of awareness, but I think you're taking on too much onto your shoulders. Part of learning and growing is figuring out what we are and aren't responsible for. You are not responsible for your parents' decisions, even if you are the reason they state for why they do things, or for their feelings, even if it feels otherwise. Talk to a counselor about this idea and wrap your mind around it.

Best of luck, feel free to use hsSDN but also keep in firm touch with supportive people in real life.
Thanks for taking the time to write this, I will.

Similar situation with my mom, went to a great medical school from her country but never had the chance to license in the USA. She ended becoming a research technician to support the family. Growing up sucked. Your dad should've taken the foreign medical licensing examinations...not go to pharmacy school. Oh well, unlikely he'll be able to pass it now, sounds like he's too far out of practice. His mistake, not yours.

Listen to me kid, you're barely in high school and there should be only one thing on your mind right now...doing well in school and grabbing as many scholarships as you can when you go off to college. Prioritize financial stability over name recognition when that time comes. Example, my mentor went to Cal State Fullerton for college and wound up in Penn for medical school. Once you get into college hit the ground running in terms of finding out how to get into medical school and not a day before then.

Also, find some hobbies kid. There is nothing wrong with being interested in medicine but you really need to play outside or sports or something along those lines. Social interaction with fellow human beings is just as important to medicine as knowing biochemistry and neurotransmitter pathways.

I'd be glad to help, but really, I can't wade through the novella. What's the TL; DR?

OP is a middle-school-age son/daughter of a Vietnamese former surgeon who moved to the USA to offer his children a better education, but cannot operate in the USA given his english deficiencies and the bias of our system against foreign physicians. He is now pursuing pharmacy as an alternative.

The son/daugher has discovered his/her father's sacrifice, and feels guilty and depressed as a result.

He/she has an impressive resume for someone his/her age, and intends to become a physician him/herself.

Last edited:

I am an aspiring physician. Of course, life doesn't come off that easily. My father was born in Vietnam, at the bottom of the economy. He used the floor as paper because he couldn't afford any, and didn't take food on the table every night for granted. Despite his disadvantage he excelled in school, graduating first in his class. He proceeded to go to medical school, where he became a surgeon. He loved his job. 12 years ago, my mom wanted to go to America so my sister and I could have the best education possible. My dad agreed, having believed that education was our top priority. When we first moved my dad was really depressed since he couldn't practice anymore. He tried to apply for programs to use his MBBS, (equivalent to an MD), to legally practice, but failed. So he tried to apply to medical school, also didn't work out. So finally he just went into pre-pharm, where he went to pharmacy school. He failed a few times, sometimes having to do a year again in pharmacy school, mostly because of his lack of good English, which is still pretty mediocre to this day, (I try to teach him as best as I can). It was last year that he finally graduated from pharmacy school, but he still has to take his boards to be board certified to even have a chance to become a clinical pharmacist, which is want he wants to be. Even still, he does not like being one, as he found out doing rotations in pharmacy school. I learned our real family situation a few months ago, and ever since I've been so profoundly depressed. Sometimes, I just want to punch myself in the face repeatedly because of me being so depressed because of my situation. I think I've developed some kind of serotonin or neurotransmitter deficiency or something, because I feel like I'm on autopilot now. I don't even feel alive anymore. I care and love my dad so much, and want him to practice medicine again. That's the first thing.. he is currently 53 as of right now and all I want him to do is practice medicine so he'll be truly happy. I understand that he had to sacrifice his dream job for me and my sister's education, but he doesn't deserve living lower of a standard than he deserves, after going through hard times already during his childhood.

The second thing is that I love medicine. I like to think that I got it from my dad. I've written "research papers" on the correlation between consciousness and psychological conditions, made a functional laparoscopic simulation, and "operate" on pig skin, practicing my subcutaneous suturing, mattress suture, and other forms of suturing on surgical instruments I asked for my birthday. I also have a vast clinical knowledge, as my school nurse said. Speaking of my school nurse, during school, I applied to be a nursing aid, not to be confused with a CNA. I operated a computer and signed in patients. Although, rarely, the clinic would be empty, and I would jump out of my seat and go into the nurse's office itself, (inside the clinic), and ask her to give me medical cases for me to go through, as if I was the admitting physician. I would order tests, treatment, drugs, etc. I am waiting for a letter of recommendation for her, which would be a big advantage to have me shadow at the hospital near my apartment, (Memorial Hermann City Mall). I live in Houston, Texas. This summer, my family couldn't afford going to vacation, but if I could shadow there, that would be better than going to the Bahamas and swimming in it's beautiful blue waters.

My dad is currently out of state for a month to temporarily live in my aunt's house, who is a nurse at a nursing home, to be a pharmacy technician. He is doing this to improve his English and to have a better chance at getting a job as a pharmacist. My dream is to be Chief of Surgery, and cure cancer, Alzheimer's, and OCD. I sincerely thank you if you have read this far, and if you could offer help in any way possible, it would be an absolute blessing, and I really do mean it. Please help me.

- Me operating on pig skin

-OP, your full name is currently on this google doc. You should either remove the link or remove the name within the link, both because it is wise to do so and because it violates the site's policy (if memory serves).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
-OP, your full name is currently on this google doc. You should either remove the link or remove the name within the link, both because it is wise to do so and because it violates the site's policy (if memory serves).

Thanks for pointing this out. I edited my quote of his post to remove it. I hope everybody else does too.

OP is 13, hurting, and passionate about medicine. It's natural for us to be a bit jaded (I am), but I just hope we can keep giving him solid advice and be encouraging.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Similar situation with my mom, went to a great medical school from her country but never had the chance to license in the USA. She ended becoming a research technician to support the family. Growing up sucked. Your dad should've taken the foreign medical licensing examinations...not go to pharmacy school. Oh well, unlikely he'll be able to pass it now, sounds like he's too far out of practice. His mistake, not yours.

Listen to me kid, you're barely in high school and there should be only one thing on your mind right now...doing well in school and grabbing as many scholarships as you can when you go off to college. Prioritize financial stability over name recognition when that time comes. Example, my mentor went to Cal State Fullerton for college and wound up in Penn for medical school. Once you get into college hit the ground running in terms of finding out how to get into medical school and not a day before then.

Also, find some hobbies kid. There is nothing wrong with being interested in medicine but you really need to play outside or sports or something along those lines. Social interaction with fellow human beings is just as important to medicine as knowing biochemistry and neurotransmitter pathways.
Thank you. I do have good friends, it's just that they don't know of my situation. I hope your situation gets better.

Thanks for pointing this out. I edited my quote of his post to remove it. I hope everybody else does too.

OP is 13, hurting, and passionate about medicine. It's natural for us to be a bit jaded (I am), but I just hope we can keep giving him solid advice and be encouraging.
I didn't expect for someone this caring for my situation would pass by. Thank you, I will update you on my situation.

Thank you. I do have good friends, it's just that they don't know of my situation. I hope your situation gets better.

:laugh: Young one you missed my point. My situation is already better, much better. I'm in medical school and in 3 years strangers will be referring to me as doctor. That, and I'm in a position to help my family financially if needed. I know what you are going through and I've walked your path. I remember darn well what my life was like at 13 years old and it sucked. I'm talking about sleeping in a closet every night suck. Things do get better...if you let it.

Look, others here are giving you words of encouragement and that's nice. I'm telling you that your dreams are attainable. Just follow the broad strokes of my advice and keep your chin up high. You can be stronger from what life is throwing at you or you can let the situation crush you. It's been done before by thousands of people every year and many of them with backgrounds far worse than ours.

Thank you for pointing that out, I just removed the link @Batman

No problem. I was a total jack-ass earlier, and I reduced something you clearly spent time on (and some pretty good writing) to a few lines.

I have a filter for things I read on the internet, and my immediate assumption is that all posters are trolls. That's not a great excuse though.

I do think that it might be more practical to target one of those conditions before you go after the others though :)

Good luck OP, and I hope you feel better soon. Some schools have great counselors or teachers who can help people through hard times: I would suggest trying one of them out. They might be helpful.

As cliche as it sounds, things get much better in college, and remain better in medical school or in the real world.

:laugh: Young one you missed my point. My situation is already better, much better. I'm in medical school and in 3 years strangers will be referring to me as doctor. That, and I'm in a position to help my family financially if needed. I know what you are going through and I've walked your path. I remember darn well what my life was like at 13 years old and it sucked. I'm talking about sleeping in a closet every night suck. Things do get better...if you let it.

Look, others here are giving you words of encouragement and that's nice. I'm telling you that your dreams are attainable. Just follow the broad strokes of my advice and keep your chin up high. You can be stronger from what life is throwing at you or you can let the situation crush you. It's been done before by thousands of people every year and many of them with backgrounds far worse than ours.
You're right. Thank you so much, I hope I become like you one day. Hope medical school goes great for you.

No problem. I was a total jack-ass earlier, and I reduced something you clearly spent time on (and some pretty good writing) to a few lines.

I have a filter for things I read on the internet, and my immediate assumption is that all posters are trolls. That's not a great excuse though.

I do think that it might be more practical to target one of those conditions before you go after the others though :)

Good luck OP, and I hope you feel better soon. Some schools have great counselors or teachers who can help people through hard times: I would suggest trying one of them out. They might be helpful.

As cliche as it sounds, things get much better in college, and remain better in medical school or in the real world.
Haha no worries at all! That thought didn't cross my mind. Thanks for the advice. Have a good one

Anyone who knows Vietnamese last names knows that Nguyen is by far the most common family name (around 40% of Vietnamese people have it) – it makes up the largest percentage of ANY country's surnames – so including his name really is not problematic.

When I was your age, I also went through a time of depression and eventually developed OCD. Like your situation, my parents' pursuits triggered my disorders.

I recommend a few things: seeing a therapist, confronting your parents, or meeting someone who inspires you. I think meeting someone who inspires you will be motivating – allowing you to climb out of the hole of learned helplessness. However, you are only in middle school, so there is no need to work too hard! Try to have fun these next few years!

Good luck with your medical endeavors! Remember: anyone can go from rags to riches, from rock-bottom to self-actualization, or even a high school failure to a successful doctor. You can do it!

OP,

You are very young, yet you write with such eloquence and maturity. Your insight and thoughtfulness will be a great asset to you as you grow up. You are much wiser beyond your years and should feel very proud of yourself!

Heed the advise of my peers above and please seek professional help from a counselor or trusted adult at school. I had a few teachers through middle & high school who talked me through some rough patches in life and it made a world of a difference. Do not feel ashamed or embarrassed to reach out. They are there for you, as are we.

I am also a first generation American with immigrant parents and family. Many states have bridge programs for foreign doctors to transition into being PA's. Currently, I have one family member who doesn't even have to go through entire PA school to become a PA stateside since he holds a medical doctorate from abroad. Another family friend, who also holds a medical degree from abroad, is currently fast-tracking through PA school. These programs are not well advertised to FMG's and my relatives wouldn't have known of them if my father wasn't in academic medicine. Perhaps float the idea to your own father in the hopes that he has not come across it and would be interested?

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you ever need someone to talk/vent to.

-Fox

Anyone who knows Vietnamese last names knows that Nguyen is by far the most common family name (around 40% of Vietnamese people have it) – it makes up the largest percentage of ANY country's surnames – so including his name really is not problematic.

When I was your age, I also went through a time of depression and eventually developed OCD. Like your situation, my parents' pursuits triggered my disorders.

I recommend a few things: seeing a therapist, confronting your parents, or meeting someone who inspires you. I think meeting someone who inspires you will be motivating – allowing you to climb out of the hole of learned helplessness. However, you are only in middle school, so there is no need to work too hard! Try to have fun these next few years!

Good luck with your medical endeavors! Remember: anyone can go from rags to riches, from rock-bottom to self-actualization, or even a high school failure to a successful doctor. You can do it!
Thank you sir, for these words do motivate me. I am actually going to apply to shadow at my local hospital tomorrow, and I brought my research paper, a letter, and a LOC with me. It's not to gain hours, but instead a way of keeping my mind off my life problems and pursuing my passion, even though I won't be cutting someone up for a chest tube or anything like that. Just rolling down a wheelchair down a hospital hallway is already fulfilling enough, which is weird since no one likes doing that. I hope you have a successful medical career yourself, take care.

OP,

You are very young, yet you write with such eloquence and maturity. Your insight and thoughtfulness will be a great asset to you as you grow up. You are much wiser beyond your years and should feel very proud of yourself!

Heed the advise of my peers above and please seek professional help from a counselor or trusted adult at school. I had a few teachers through middle & high school who talked me through some rough patches in life and it made a world of a difference. Do not feel ashamed or embarrassed to reach out. They are there for you, as are we.

I am also a first generation American with immigrant parents and family. Many states have bridge programs for foreign doctors to transition into being PA's. Currently, I have one family member who doesn't even have to go through entire PA school to become a PA stateside since he holds a medical doctorate from abroad. Another family friend, who also holds a medical degree from abroad, is currently fast-tracking through PA school. These programs are not well advertised to FMG's and my relatives wouldn't have known of them if my father wasn't in academic medicine. Perhaps float the idea to your own father in the hopes that he has not come across it and would be interested?

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you ever need someone to talk/vent to.

-Fox
Thanks so much for the recommendation, can I ask you for some kind of website that would show me more information about this program?

Man... what a humble thing to write. Massive respect and really solid advice @dadaddadaBATMAN.

Listen to me kid, you're barely in high school and there should be only one thing on your mind right now...doing well in school and grabbing as many scholarships as you can when you go off to college.

OP,

-Fox

OP, another lesson for you: this is how you treat people who need help. This is how good doctors do things. They take people seriously and offer whatever help they can (and be frank about what they can't).

A lot of us get jaded because we deal with manipulative or mean people. Not just patients, but teachers, bosses, attendings, internet trolls etc. This will happen to you too at some point in your life. But I hope you'll still keep your heart open with genuine commission for those who suffer.

You guys are all getting me teary...

Last edited:
OP, another lesson for you: this is how you treat people who need help. This is how good doctors do things. They take people seriously and offer whatever help they can (and be frank about what they can't).

A lot of us get jaded because we deal with manipulative or mean people. Not just patients, but teachers, bosses, attendings, internet trolls etc. This will happen to you too at some point in your life. But I hope you'll still keep your heart open with genuine commission for those who suffer.

You guys are all getting me to kinda tear up...
No, no please don't be teary eyed.. I will do everything in my power to be able to have the life, (firstly), my parents deserve, then what I deserve. Others peoples happiness is my happiness. I will focus on trying to get great grades, and get into medical school. In college I think I'll have my parents move back to Vietnam, so they could be there happily knowing that their work on providing the education their children have received has been accomplished.

Life is a word that cannot be described with adjectives, but from what I have experienced, it's the profoundly delicate gift by which all human beings should appreciate.. being religiously minded or not.. having intimacy and developing a new insightful perspective on everyone, even with their differences and psychological or physical conditions for which that they may be suffering from.. and possessing an inner will and conscience that all humans beings should have.. which is the ability to recognize, protect, and love each other. You have already accomplished this, being that you are wanting to be a medical doctor, which is a job full of the art of medicine and healing others in their worst times.

D0 not cry for one's sadness, and specifically mine in this case. Life will take it's course, or I will do it's job for it, and lead life how I command it to occur. It's one or the other, one choice being the choice that would lead me to chronic, long term depression and having nothing accomplished in life, or putting in hard work, overcoming problematic situations, and to eventually, be happy for others, and myself.

Reply to me soon

Last edited:
No, no please don't be teary eyed.. I will do everything in my power to be able to have the life, (firstly), my parents deserve, then what I deserve. Others peoples happiness is my happiness. I will focus on trying to get great grades, and get into medical school. In college I think I'll have my parents move back to Vietnam, so they could be there happily knowing that their work on providing the education their children have received has been accomplished.

Life is a word that cannot be described with adjectives, but from what I have experienced, it's the profoundly delicate gift by which all human beings should appreciate.. being religiously minded or not.. having intimacy and developing a new insightful perspective on everyone, even with their differences and psychological or physical conditions for which that they may be suffering from.. and possessing an inner will and conscience that all humans beings should have.. which is the ability to recognize, protect, and love each other. You have already accomplished this, being that you are wanting to be a medical doctor, which is a job full of the art of medicine and healing others in their worst times.

D0 not cry for one's sadness, and specifically mine in this case. Life will take it's course, or I will do it's job for it, and lead life how I command it to occur. It's one or the other, one choice being the choice that would lead me to chronic, long term depression and having nothing accomplished in life, or putting in hard work, overcoming problematic situations, and to eventually, be happy for others, and myself.

Reply to me soon

Oh jeez.. I meant it half-jokingly but half-admiringly about my colleagues. It's a really nice to see people be kind to each other, especially online, when they haven't even met in person. It makes me feel happy.

Last edited:

Reply to me soon. - *****
Stop using your real name!

Something to consider:
Your parents sacrificed ALOT. They did this for you. It is not meant to make you feel guilty or so that you would owe them anything.
So it's time to be selfish. Seriously. Your parents are adults that made choices and are living with the consequences. They did this to give you the opportunity to succeed. So that is what you do. If you feel guilty, you work hard and make them proud. That will make them happy. As far as selfishness, worry about your situation, not theirs. Work hard in school. Get good grades. Have fun. Be a teenager. Don't worry about curing cancer yet, worry about how to overcome the struggles everyone your age faces when they come across them. You're at a point in your life that is incredibly confusing, which is why like many have said before, seek help from a professional. They really do want to help.
Also there's another factor to consider: you must be a well-rounded human being. Do not get ahead of yourself with techniques and specifics in medicine. Focus on right now, it seems like you are on the path to becoming a super-surgeon soon. But think about it, will that really make you HAPPY? It can bring feelings of satisfaction and success in goals, but what about true happiness? If you miss out on major life chapters of the next 10 years, it will affect you in the future. This will in turn affect your performance in your chosen profession, since you will be dealing with people.
Oh and also, be careful with all that stuff regarding going through other people's medical records. You are a minor and there may be some legal issues behind this. I can tell you that if I found at a 13 year old was going through my children's medical records, I would be furious. FURIOUS. Not blaming you or anything, I know your intentions are good, but that is something you should consider.
Anyway, best of luck to you. I really hope you feel better and achieve your goals.

Stop using your real name!

Something to consider:
Your parents sacrificed ALOT. They did this for you. It is not meant to make you feel guilty or so that you would owe them anything.
So it's time to be selfish. Seriously. Your parents are adults that made choices and are living with the consequences. They did this to give you the opportunity to succeed. So that is what you do. If you feel guilty, you work hard and make them proud. That will make them happy. As far as selfishness, worry about your situation, not theirs. Work hard in school. Get good grades. Have fun. Be a teenager. Don't worry about curing cancer yet, worry about how to overcome the struggles everyone your age faces when they come across them. You're at a point in your life that is incredibly confusing, which is why like many have said before, seek help from a professional. They really do want to help.
Also there's another factor to consider: you must be a well-rounded human being. Do not get ahead of yourself with techniques and specifics in medicine. Focus on right now, it seems like you are on the path to becoming a super-surgeon soon. But think about it, will that really make you HAPPY? It can bring feelings of satisfaction and success in goals, but what about true happiness? If you miss out on major life chapters of the next 10 years, it will affect you in the future. This will in turn affect your performance in your chosen profession, since you will be dealing with people.
Oh and also, be careful with all that stuff regarding going through other people's medical records. You are a minor and there may be some legal issues behind this. I can tell you that if I found at a 13 year old was going through my children's medical records, I would be furious. FURIOUS. Not blaming you or anything, I know your intentions are good, but that is something you should consider.
Anyway, best of luck to you. I really hope you feel better and achieve your goals.
Thank you for the considerate post, I removed my name from what I could. As for the medical record thing, the "nurse assistant" job which I had was an elective offered by the school. They didn't let me go through medical records, (though admittedly I did get curious sometimes), but instead just checking people in. Medicine makes me truly happy, but the happiness of others makes me just as happy, and that is saying a lot. I will take your advice in mind, thank you sir/madam for the insight :)

Oh jeez.. I meant it half-jokingly but half-admiringly about my colleagues. It's a really nice to see people be kind to each other, especially online, when they haven't even met in person. It makes me feel happy.
I'm glad it makes you happy

*UPDATE* I went to the hospital I was talking about. It took me awhile, but I eventually found the human resources desk, where I gave them my research paper, and personal letter I wrote them. They took me in happily suprisingly. In the back of my head, I thought they were just going to turn me down because of my age. But they took me seriously; the woman is calling the department head of education to discuss further about having me shadow a physician. Please realize that I am not shadowing for hours, but just to sort of expand my "clinical" knowledge, clinical in " " because I am hardly a teenager and my clinical expertise and insight is generally irrelevant, as vast as it may be :p . Im doing it because it is my passion and I need something to take my mind off my life situation and give my parents something to be proud of before I do reach further and get into college, and eventually pass my MCATs and prereqs, etc to get into medical school. I will continue updating on my situation, thanks for everyone who's replied, it really does mean something to me

Damn son. You're 13 and better than me. When I dissected a pig I couldn't find anything better to do besides harvest it's organs and poke it's eye balls. Don't worry folks. I'll break out of that habbit. Eventually..

Damn son. You're 13 and better than me. When I dissected a pig I couldn't find anything better to do besides harvest it's organs and poke it's eye balls. Don't worry folks. I'll break out of that habbit. Eventually..
Thank you for the kind words. As for my skill, you just gotta practice a lot. Best of luck

Thanks so much for the recommendation, can I ask you for some kind of website that would show me more information about this program?
I do not have any specific information on IMG->PA routes, as everything I know about it is secondhand knowledge and word-of-mouth.

Here is what I can offer:
  • Look up "Senate Bills 716 & 754" in Missouri. A few years ago they instated a [rather controversial] law that created an "Assistant Physician" position very similar to PA's. Basically it's for doctors who fail to get a residency. One of our FMG family friends is practicing as an AP in Missouri currently and didn't have to go back to do any extra schooling to begin working.
  • FMG's going PA is a rather rare thing from what I gather, so I'm gonna keep this a bit vague for the anonymity of those I'm referring to. We know two other FMG's who either currently attend or attended PA schools with relative ease. One at a school somewhere in Texas, another at a school somewhere in Illinois. I'm sure there's plenty of other schools out there in other states who accept FMG's, but there's 100% sure some in those two states to narrow down where you/your dad could start gathering information.
Hope this was a bit helpful for you and your father.

-Fox