Confused about my situation regarding being eligible for medical school residency

drcoffeeturtle

Reaction score
Good morning, so basically I am a resident of Rhode Island and might study in Kentucky because of a full ride... If I study in Kentucky and my parents retain residency in Rhode Island, would I be eligible to apply and be considered as a New England applicant (priority for medical schools in New England since Rhode island only has Browns school)?

Members don't see this ad.

Good morning, so basically I am a resident of Rhode Island and might study in Kentucky because of a full ride... If I study in Kentucky and my parents retain residency in Rhode Island, would I be eligible to apply and be considered as a New England applicant (priority for medical schools in New England since Rhode island only has Browns school)?

Being a resident of Rhode Island will not help you at all. There is no medical school admissions preference for Rhode Islanders anywhere. Last fall the average MCAT score for Rhode Islanders who were admitted to a U.S. MD med school was over 514 or at the 92nd percentile. That was the highest among all states' averages See this table:

The MCAT average for matriculants from Kentucky was 508 or at the 79th percentile. Why is this the case? Kentucky has two state owned medical schools and they take care of their own.

Find out what you need to do to establish Kentucky residency for medical school admissions purposes. If you can stay on your parents' health insurance after changing residency, take the full ride, change your residency and get rid of your Rhode Island accent. Learn to say y'all without sounding like it's an affectation.