Depositions- Do you do them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmvguy03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with this. Are they always optional? What are the pros/cons? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Clarification- depositions not related to malpractice (ie expert opinion on pain after mva etc)

I do. Take an hour or two. Answer truthfully.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know my fee, but I would guess around $300 or so per hr. My practice sets that rate for everyone, and I don't check our rates bc I don't want to know. I do them on my patients only, usually work comp so I take 10 min prior and review. I don't bill for that.

This came up on a thread a long time ago. I asked people on here for their fee schedules. One of the docs on here sent me his. He can chime in, if he wants to. I'm sure he'll recognize the numbers right away. The dollar amounts are big, but I personally don't love this type of work, so if I'm going to do it, someone's got to make it extremely worth my while. Nobody seemed to balk at it and I've gotten a few chart reviews out of it. I haven't been asked to court, though. I'm not sure if that's because the fees are too high, I haven't told them what they want to here, they don't like me as a witness or because the cases never made it to trial. Either way, I don't mind, because there's few places on earth I dislike being in more, than a courtroom.

upload_2019-1-23_20-22-51.png

This came up on a thread a long time ago. I asked people on here for their fee schedules. One of the docs on here sent me his. He can chime in, if he wants to. I'm sure he'll recognize the numbers right away. The dollar amounts are big, but I personally don't love this type of work, so if I'm going to do it, someone's got to make it extremely worth my while. Nobody seemed to balk at it and I've gotten a few chart reviews out of it. I haven't been asked to court, though. I'm not sure if that's because the fees are too high, I haven't told them what they want to here, they don't like me as a witness or because the cases never made it to trial. Either way, I don't mind, because there's few places on earth I dislike being in more, than a courtroom.

View attachment 248452

I don’t think $350 an hour for chart review is a lot. Thank about your time. Think about how long it takes you to do two clinic epidurals (which should take less than an hour) and how much you get. Also two or three new patients in an hour.

View attachment 248452

how r u getting the work? just by working some comp/auto cases and the lawyers reaching out to u afterwards ?

View attachment 248452

this is about average fee schedule in my area as well

how r u getting the work? just by working some comp/auto cases and the lawyers reaching out to u afterwards ?
The attorney that represented me in a (false) malpractice accusation that I fought and won, gave my name out to another attorney that asked for a doctor recommendation. Apparently she though I knew my shht enough to recommend me. Then a couple years after that, she called me herself to give an opinion in defense of a Pain doc that she's representing, that's getting sued. It's just a word of mouth thing, in my case. I don't seek it out. Some people advertise, make up a website and work hard to get their name out there. But I personally have no desire to do full, or ever part time legal work.

I don’t think $350 an hour for chart review is a lot. Thank about your time. Think about how long it takes you to do two clinic epidurals (which should take less than an hour) and how much you get. Also two or three new patients in an hour.
When you look at it that way, you are absolutely correct.