Going rate for depositions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medman2737

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the going rate for in-office, after work-hour depositions?

I am wondering if there is a huge difference between region as I recently moved to the southeast from the northeast.

thanks everyone,

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about other regions. Around Midwest ive seen everywhere from 1500$ To 7k.

Not sure about other regions. Around Midwest ive seen everywhere from 1500$ To 7k.

$7K?????????????

They won't be doing any more.

I always charged $1500 per hour; free if under 20 minutes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It was a PI guy who was well known and consulted by a lot of the attorneys. It was hearsay so maybe not true. But he was known to be money hungry.

I have
non-refundable scheduling fee
rescheduling fee if they reschedule
chart review fee
pre-deposition confrence
deposition itself is $1200/hr, 1 hr min
much of this is paid up front and non-refundable if <48 hours prior to scheduled time

Reactions: 1 users
Chart review fee and non-fundable if canceled with less than 48hrs notice. Don’t schedule during work hours.. I do mine at 430 or 5 in case they cancel. They love to cancel the day before when they settle.

$5K to be paid in advance for one hour of deposition time. I tell both attorneys that I will start a timer at the beginning and notify them when 5 minutes are left. This moves things along efficiently. My first one took 3 hours, forcing me to cancel afternoon clinic. Learned my lesson quickly after that.

Chart review fee and non-fundable if canceled with less than 48hrs notice. Don’t schedule during work hours.. I do mine at 430 or 5 in case they cancel. They love to cancel the day before when they settle.

Yeah, I always schedule at the end of the day. I have only ever done one deposition. I have been paid for a few more that canceled with <48 hrs, and been paid for a lot of scheduling fees.

The only way you’ll have more than one here or there is to do personal injury work. I used to to 1.5 days a week of PI work.. had several depos a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a thread here a while back with some good advice. Best general advice is to not give them any more info than you have to and answer yes and no where possible . Do you know what time it is? Your answer.. “yes”

Yeah, I always schedule at the end of the day. I have only ever done one deposition. I have been paid for a few more that canceled with <48 hrs, and been paid for a lot of scheduling fees.
So for you more experienced guys on here. When they call you to depose you do you tell them your rate up front and have them mail you a check and state you must receive the check before doing the phone deposition?

I set one up for today and they never called me. I told them when scheduling that I require the money paid up front. They said of course but then I forgot to follow up on that before ending the phone conversation. Also can you determine how much time you allow them to depose you. And regarding the fees and time everyone is quoting above, is that for a simple phone deposition?

Basically how much power does one have to determine their rates etc. in these situations?

Last edited:
It’s their decision on phone versus in person.. I charge the same either way unless they want to film and then I charge an extra 1000$ because I hate being on camera. Get the check up from and make part of it non-refundable within a certain amount of time of cancellation say 48 hrs. They cancel as often as not. You have a lot of power but if you abuse it they will not use you again if they can help it. Also usually charge for 1 hr and a certain amount for any time over that. They will not go over.. they don’t want to pay more.

I have a patient I have been treating for neck pain after mva. She has used her private commercial health insurance . I didn't know she has a lawyer.

I got a call from her lawyer a month ago saying they are.are going to subpoena me. They did and they scheudled a.video deposition today with the plaintiff and defense lawyers where I was questioned by both. . The case is going to trial in.3 weeks if there is no settlement between now and then. I was not offered any money and got the impression they are doing a favor to me to do video deposition and not be called to trial. So I did video deposition for nearly 3 hours today towards end of clinic

Last edited:
I have a patient I have been treating for neck pain after mva. She has used her private commercial health insurance . I didn't know she has a lawyer.

I got a call from her lawyer a month ago saying they are.are going to subpoena me. They did and they scheudled a.video deposition today with the plaintiff and defense lawyers. The case is going to trial in.3 weeks if there is no settlement between now and then. I was not offered any money and got the impression they are doing a favor to me to do video deposition and not be called to trial. So I did video deposition for nearly 2.5 hours today towards end of clinic
For free??

• Wow

I got a call from her lawyer a month ago saying they are.are going to subpoena me. They did and they scheudled a.video deposition today with the plaintiff and defense lawyers. The case is going to trial in.3 weeks if there is no settlement between now and then. I was not offered any money and got the impression they are doing a favor to me to do video deposition and not be called to trial. So I did video deposition for nearly 2.5 hours today towards end of clinic
I admit to no experience in this area - every deposition I’ve had has been canceled just before the deadline where they would have to pay. But it sounds like you were had... my understanding is if they refuse to pay you, you give them nothing but reading straight from your office notes.

For free??
yes. The way the plaintiff lawyer put it to me was he was doing me a favor to do this video deposition on a time somewhat convenient to me. rather than subpoena me to the trial which would waste a lot more time for me... and he made a point during his questioning of me during the deposition that I am not being paid for my testimony. I was maybe hoping that he was going to give me a check after it was over for my great work but that thought quickly got blown out

Last edited:
yes. The way the plaintiff lawyer put it to me was he was doing me a favor to do this video deposition on a time somewhat convenient to me. rather than subpoena me to the trial which would waste a lot more time for me... and he made a point during his questioning of me during the deposition that I am not being paid for my testimony. I was maybe hoping that he was going to give me a check after it was over for my great work but that thought quickly got blown out
I would have asked for payment of some sort? I don’t get why because u saw a patient they can make you go to court for a non malpractice issue.

I would have asked for payment of some sort? I don’t get why because u saw a patient they can make you go to court for a non malpractice issue.
he kind of stated he could subpoena me to testify at the trial or he could subpeona to a more convenient video deposition that he would show at the trial

Fact witness. I would just read my notes back to them verbatim

he kind of stated he could subpoena me to testify at the trial or he could subpeona to a more convenient video deposition that he would show at the trial
This sounds shady af

I admit to no experience in this area - every deposition I’ve had has been canceled just before the deadline where they would have to pay. But it sounds like you were had... my understanding is if they refuse to pay you, you give them nothing but reading straight from your office notes.
Check clears before scheduled.
$700-1000/hr, 2 hr min.
$250 Admin fee if canceled or rescheduled >5 business days, full fee forfeited if <5 days.

Schedule toward end of day. Always collect in advance, expect most to be canceled. Agree with the addl fee if video taped. Gotta pay for the fancy suit to go "Full Deer," though I now just wear scrubs and a white coat if they are done in my office.

Last edited:

I got a call from her lawyer a month ago saying they are.are going to subpoena me. They did and they scheudled a.video deposition today with the plaintiff and defense lawyers where I was questioned by both. . The case is going to trial in.3 weeks if there is no settlement between now and then. I was not offered any money and got the impression they are doing a favor to me to do video deposition and not be called to trial. So I did video deposition for nearly 3 hours today towards end of clinic
Nope.

Zero chance this would ever happen in my clinic.

Depo for 3 hrs is several thousand bucks dude.

Nope.

Zero chance this would ever happen in my clinic.

Depo for 3 hrs is several thousand bucks dude.
so this lawyer basically threated to subpoena me to testify in the upcoming trial if I didnt agree to do the video deposition. that's why i agreed.
how would you have handled it

so this lawyer basically threated to subpoena me to testify in the upcoming trial if I didnt agree to do the video deposition. that's why i agreed.
how would you have handled it
This is personal injury right?

"GFY."

Wats something to tell the lawyers in case they say they require ur deposition?
Here's what you say, "Deposition? Happy to do it. I'll connect you to so and so who will notify you of my fee."

This is cut and paste from a previous thread. I keep a copy of this on my desktop. Very helpful. Most is advice from ampapba (RIP).
See BOLD below

LEGAL advice

Taking a welcoming stance:

Make sure SIGNED fee agreement is on record.

Use the 60 min minimum, even if you only speak with them for 15 min (charge for time spent in chart review)

You could have attorney prepay if you’d like.

Keep answers simple (If they ask if you know the time, say “yes”.)

Defer to the chart. Don’t make inferences if you don’t want. “According to the chart…”

It’s okay, sometimes even best, to say “I don’t know” or “I don’t have an opinion regarding that”. They will try to twist your words to fit the position they represent.

LEGAL advice (ampapba)

TAKING A HARD STANCE:

Let them know you will appear as a witness of fact only if they subpoena you. You will be happy to read your report into the record. If they want you to provide an opinion, let them know what your rate is. You are not under any obligation to have an opinion unless you are fairly compensated

Expert Witnesses render opinions. You are under no obligation to provide such an opinion, unless your services are paid for at a fair market rate.

If someone wants to subpoena you, and doesn't want to pay you appropriately, when they ask you the causation question (which is the only one that really matters), just tell them you hold no opinion on the matter.

Once you answer the question, you have lost your leverage. They only want you there for your opinion. If you tell them you won't have one, they will sputter, but won't insist you appear. (Or, alternatively, they will pay you). Once you testify, they don't need you anymore, and you won't get paid a dime. That's why you should ALWAYS get paid in advance (and never accept the idea that they will bring the check with them, cause half the.time, they conveniently forget)

Also, if you routinely charge $3k for a depo, they won't use you very much. 3k for trial testimony is fine (kinda low, actually) but for depo, better to charge by the hour, and dont start till 4:30.

If you appear as a fact witness, you're totally hosed as mentioned above. You'll get an insulting stipend that might cover your parking fees. Therefore, make it clear that you are only appearing as a fact witness and you have no relevant facts to relate, as they can easily see in your records. If they want an expert you can charge whatever you want. There is no statutory limit.

You can also tell them if they subpoena you your attorney will file to quash the subpoena. Then they'll have to explain to a judge why they need your testimony and your lawyer can show that you have no relevant information. I quashed a subpoena for family court when one of my patients got divorced. They wanted to use me to show that my patient was a drug abuser, which she was not.

It'll cost you some to quash the subpoena but not as much as the income lost on a wasted day in court. Just the threat of quashing might scare them off.

Agree with the money up front and my staff will tell them it will not be scheduled until payment is received and the fee is non-refundable as I'm blocking that time. More often then not the case gets settled before any depositions.

If it's a legit subpoena I don't think you can get out of it. What you might do is make it clear to the lawyer that you'll be giving absolutely zero opinion (expert witness) testimony and literally will only be reading your chart back to him (fact witness). He's probably trying to see if you're gullible enough to give opinion, on a no-fee basis as a witness to save himself a few thousand bucks. If he wants opinion, fine, give him your fee schedule and make sure you are paid enough to equal a days collections at a minimum.

if you get subpoenaed as a witness - then they are not really interested in your opinion, since you aren't going to be an expert - they will basically just ask you to confirm components of the chart? you don't get paid to show up...

however, if you have seen that patient within the statute of limitations, be careful with what you say as a witness, because they could use that against you if they decide to sue you for malpractice... so get your malpractice carrier involved...

nd tenesma is correct, if i am witness, and i am forced to show up, i cannot demand payment if i am not an expert or my opinion is not being requested. I can however not recall anything and be of little help. or potentially say something that would affect the decision, but to Tenesmas point, you have to be careful about that, and you would be doing that for free... so you get paid in "spite" not dollars, but potentially set yourself up for unnecssary issues.

For a personal injury case you never have to show up to explain your chart... You can sign your notes and submit it as evidence... If you are explaining your care, that's opinion and should get paid.

Call the lawyer and let him know that if he thinks you are showing up to court undeposed, for 60 bucks, he/she doesn’t know what you are going to say... but you will be happy to read your chart out loud

Reactions: 8 users
This is personal injury right?

"GFY."
I treated this patient's neck pain after her mva through her private commercial insurance which paid for all my facet interventions. I did not know when she first came to me to she had a lawyer. I just got notified recently by her lawyer that this case is going to court in 3 weeks.

I treated this patient's neck pain after her mva through her private commercial insurance which paid for all my facet interventions. I did not know when she first came to me to she had a lawyer. I just got notified recently by her lawyer that this case is going to court in 3 weeks.
This seems like you could get out of doing a deposition. I don’t know the answer but maybe someone on here does.

I read that in your first post. If they threaten you make sure you ask them, "Are you sure you want to subpoena me?"

YOU have the ability to destroy their entire case.

Reactions: 4 users
Lots of good advice on this thread. Wanted to add my $0.02 based on my research on this specific issue, as I'm currently in this position (attorney asking for my depo on a patient I treated in a PI case). Search if your state has precedent for a treating physician to be entitled to expert witness fees. For example, in FL: Physicians Are Entitled To Expert Witness Fees | LaBovick Law. While researching this, many other states had similar case opinions or even case law to set such a precedent.

Based on this, I'm going to be sending the attorney my fee schedule, and if they say I'm only entitled to $45/hr as I'm not an expert witness, I'm going to reference the 2 cases mentioned in the link above.

Worst comes to worst, as mentioned in previous posts, I'll let them know clearly I'll only be appearing as a fact witness, and my Depo will consist of me reading from my note, and nothing more...

Any update on what you all charge since inflation is up so much the last few years?

I want to have a chat with the surgeons in my practice as I feel they charge way too little for what is frankly a hassle to me.

They charge $1000 per hour for depositions but for some reason only $750 per hour for WC depositions.

1- what do you all now currently charge for depositions? Who has a minimum 1 hr or minimum 2hr charge?
2- what do you charge for doing a clinical narrative? Basically a legal summary of a WC or sometime a MVA/legal case? We only charge $300

Basically I feel both fees are low but I want to ask the group on more time before I bring this up with my ortho partners next week.

Appreciate your thoughts?

1- what do you all now currently charge for depositions? Who has a minimum 1 hr or minimum 2hr charge?
Video depo 2500/h. 1 h min. Anything over 60 min is full hour 2, no pro rate.
2- what do you charge for doing a clinical narrative? Basically a legal summary of a WC or sometime a MVA/legal case? We only charge $300
1200/report + 1000/h of record review

Reactions: 4 users
Any update on what you all charge since inflation is up so much the last few years?

I want to have a chat with the surgeons in my practice as I feel they charge way too little for what is frankly a hassle to me.

They charge $1000 per hour for depositions but for some reason only $750 per hour for WC depositions.

Basically I feel both fees are low but I want to ask the group on more time before I bring this up with my ortho partners next week.

Minumum 2 hours

In my state WC depos are a standard rate

If it is a BS case I pick up the phone and call the attorney. They (some?) appreciate the honesty. And it seems to drive more business to me since they know I won’t take the case unless it’s quality. And if they see it as “free” then I don’t want to work with them anyways in the future.

And please make sure to charge a standard half day rate for trials as well as full date rate in additional to long time frame that must be met to cancel.

Pro tip: If they ask you to read other reports, be sure to get an agreement on how much you’re getting paid to read that stuff, and if it’s a lot, check in with the attorney about it. “Hey Ace Attorney, that PDF you sent me is 2500 pages… you know I’d love to read it, but it’ll take a while.”

Double all numbers and you’re in the right neighborhood.

I charge $2000/hr which is a little higher than what I would make doing ESI’s and SI joints for an hour.

Last edited:
Anyone do Life Care planning consulting? Seems like a good way to pick up extra cash if you’re PM&R or neurology.

Basically they need someone to help estimate cost of living and medical expenses when asking for the big settlements.

I don't charge a lot, $800 per hour of all med-legal work. I do ALWAYS request a "rolling retainer" signed and be paid up front from attorneys or agency. You never want to chase after these guys/gals for money. It's more frustrating than doing work itself.

Anyone do Life Care planning consulting? Seems like a good way to pick up extra cash if you’re PM&R or neurology.

Basically they need someone to help estimate cost of living and medical expenses when asking for the big settlements.
I looked into the big group out of SATX for this. You’re basically the local license, use their referrals and software to kick out the reports, and it was $400/hour average. This was in 2019, so it may be a bit better now. I know they are charging ~5x for the service, so I lost interest in going that route quickly. If you don’t know what you’re doing and not established, it would be good pay while early on the learning curve.

I had an attending that developed his own program to make reports from life expectancy tables/medicare data, which he used to print money. He was making 7 figs in this part time hustle.

These are probably the 2 extremes.