Dentists make more $$$ than Pharmacists??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the statistics; it looks like we needed them.

As for thinking that people choose dentistry because they think it is easy money and then commit suicide for that, I cant believe someone would go into dentristry thinking it was an easy way to make a lot of money.

I'm not sure what everyone else's defintion of "motivated mainly for money" is here but mine is that, if someone is "motivated mainly for money", he knows this because when he asks himself, if his expected salary was sure to be 35K to 40k/year(the salary of many, many hardworking people who work just as long and as much as dentists do), would he still do it or would he switch his career choice? and if he were to say, no, I cant do it, i would need a higher salary, then that would be "motivated mainly by money". because if that makes u change your mind, then you are, in my humble opinion, motivated more by the salary than by helping people or by the job of dentistry

i know this may be annoying but this is important for me to discuss and get straight because if most people dont fit into this category, i want to know where the hell these people are!!! these inspiring, zen-minded people have never been around me in my life!!!! do all my friends just suck?? i dont think so..
so, This has been my defintion of what "motivated by money" means
All of the people I know now who are graduating from pharmacy fit this definition. They say staright out, no, if i knew from the beginning that i would be making 35k a year, i would have dropped out long ago. my friend's brother is a dentist, her sister is is an md, her uncle a dentist and yahda yahda yahda....you get it? shes not just a girl that happens to be related to one perosn in the medical profession...shes surrounded by them and they talk honestly and want her to have a good career, not pull her into some place where shell be unhappy. its not that theyre not motivated by the want to be a good dentist or the want to help people, but they are motivated mostly by money in that they wouldnt do it unless a high amount of $$ reward was there at the end.

does anyone else understand or agree a little or both???

("Since now. " -by doctorsponge
hmmm, grrrrrrr, hmmmm, :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

geez, sticky that suicide thing. The topic's popped up about 20 times since I registered here.

susannaQ said:
("Since now. " -by doctorsponge
hmmm, grrrrrrr, hmmmm, :mad:

Susanna, just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't like you. Truce? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
drPheta said:
geez, sticky that suicide thing. The topic's popped up about 20 times since I registered here.

Thats an understatement. In fact, I'm getting tired of hearing it.

Gavin, you need to put any and all relevent information regarding this subject matter in your FAQ sticky and delete ANY post/thread that is even remotely close to this topic. Then, kindly refer the individual to your sticky thread. This suicide crap is just cluttering our forums. :rolleyes:

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
Plenty of dentists make that kind of money on 35 hrs/week after they are established.

The irony of dentistry though is that the guys who are only in it for the money are the ones who never make any. You have to enjoy dentistry enough that you are willing to study and learn new techniques after school; it's pretty difficult to make a fortune plugging amalgams all day. Plus, your patients have to get a sense that you are happy and care about what you are doing or they aren't coming back to see you. It's pretty hard to fake that 4 days a week.

This was such an excellent post that I had to forward on to this thread. The decision to select a profession has to be well thought out ... do what you like, like what you do, and deliver what you promise...