Deciding on an SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaymeMD123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently submitted apps to 5-6 different SMPs, and I just got into two. The reason I'm doing an SMP is to boost my academic records during my gap year after undergrad (cGPA: 3.48, hopefully 3.55 by the time I get my bachelors; sGPA 3.3, MCAT 499). I have roughly 100 hours of shadowing, and more than 300 hours of volunteering (my pre-med org and hospice combined). I recently got accepted to the following:
  • Drexel MBS
  • Rutgers MBS-Medical Scholars, Newark.
I applied to 4 other programs:
  • UNTHSC (TCOM): MS Medical Science
  • TTUHSC-El Paso: post-bacc certificate
  • Tulane University: Biomedical Sciences
  • Drexel DPMS Program
  • Tuft's MBS Program
Any insights or advices will help greatly! My ultimate goal is to apply to MD schools. Though I'm still having doubts whether or not I should do SMPs at all, because I've heard mixed advices about these programs so I thought I'd try getting more opinions. Half of these programs offer guaranteed interviews upon completion and having the required GPA and MCAT score, so that's pretty nice. I'm also looking for ways to better my study habits from undergrad as well - to start fresh, basically. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I'm in the same boat as you! Have you come closer to any of these decisions? I'm trying to comb through SDN, reddit, the actual school websites, anything for more clarification lol....